“Backpackers”

Gecko's Backpackers
Ranked #12 of 83 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Very good place to stay. Close location to Cairns central the biggest shopping centre in town. Very quite. I stayed here 3 times before and would recommend it to anyone coming to Cairns on a budget.

Room Tip: Rooms have air cond. double, single or twin rooms. Have a bar fridge.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Glenn M
Geckoshostel, Owner at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Thankyou kindly for your great review. We hope to see you again. Take care and all the best.

Reviewed 18 November 2011

Definitely a great environment- an awesome stop for any adventurer travelling in Australia

Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Maria G

Reviewed 8 November 2011

I stayed in Gecko's July 18th of 2011, i loved the place!! nice people, clean and very helpful manager, i liked the pool and the free meals for breakfast and dinner, or the very special discounts that i got for all the activities, only for quiet backpackers.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank Regina C

Reviewed 3 November 2011

hey! Geckos is not just quiet and peaceful place, also you have the central of Cairns across the street, and the rooms are clean, breakfast is nice....i stay here for more than a week myself, come without a doubt..peace!!!

Room Tip: it depends on how many people that u travel with!!! no.4 is good !!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank Thierry J
Geckoshostel, Manager at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2011

Dear Guest!! Thanks for your review, we promise to keep on the good work always very aware for the needs of our clients. We will love to see you soon back at Gecko's your second home.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

I found Geckos hostel to be not only very different to all the reviews i have seen here, maybe a lot of improvment has been made, but also a quiet, peaceful and secure hostel. The environment is full of all kinds of travelers, the pool, toilets and romms very clean. Sometimes the kitchen seems to be a little full, but still clean after the storm. i did found that it was bigger that other hostels i stayed in. Peter the manager made me feel welcome and went out of his way to make my stay very confortable. No drinking or noise after 10pm and the main gate is closed by 8pm, also notice that reception is closed between 12:30 to 4:30pm.

Room Tip: The rroms at the back seems to be the best if you're traveling with your couple, also the ones o...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank JonathanC366

Dear Guest!!! Thanks so much for your review, we'll keep on the good work and improving always!!

Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stayed here in April 2008 becuase it had been recommended to me by a friend who had stayed here many times before. I thought that the rooms were a bit clammy and old, but definitely not the worst I had seen on my 10 months of traveling, not by far! I thought it was in a good location, especially as I walked everywhere I went. The facilities were simple but doable for a few days.

The one problem that caused me to say I wouldn't stay here again were the guests! I don't know if the owner lets people just walk in off of the street, but some of the people I met on the back patio in the evening were definitely not fellow travelers! There were several drunk older men wandering around making sexual jokes under their breath, obviously thinking I couldn't hear every word they were saying! I also met another guy who told me he had just got out of prision where he had been for the last 3 years after stabbing a man and then went on to tell me all about his life in some Italian gang and how he was trying to get "straight" now to provide for his 5 children (he was only 23). I'm not trying to be too judgemental of peoples lifestyles but some of the people staying here were just down right scary to a young 19 yr old girl traveling alone. Incidentally, it was the ex con who told me to call him to walk me home at night if I was ever out alone as the area was too dangerous for me to be walking home alone after 6pm! He also told me that raping and muggings were common in the area. Safe to say, I just wouldn't bother going to Cairns again!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank breckgirl_7
Geckoshostel, Owner at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2011

Hey!! This is Mr. Hoare the new owner of the Gecko’s Backpackers Hostel. Just to let you know that since the last 3 months we got in charge of the Gecko's hostel in Cairns with a completely different way on doing things, surly your review sounds very accurate with some of the last owners and management issues by that time, specially in the 2008, so far we have been able to track and get all information regarding the past of the hostel and we are very concern on showing that now, it’s all about good service and safety, we can assure you it’s very different, and even when this comment in particular seems to be related to some “strange” characters, we are very careful now to maintain the hostel as clean, safe and enjoyable as it should be, that’s why will ask you to reconsider the idea of coming back to Cairns, it’s not only a safe and beautiful destination but we would also love to have you back here for free, so you’ll experience a different reality. It would be very appreciated if you can reconsider the valuable review you made and let us have another chance. Thanks so much and we’ll be happy to hear from you again.

Reviewed 23 August 2010

I was travelling for 6 months without problems til I arrived at this place. We stayed 4 nights in the Dreamtime Travellers (btw the best hostel in OZ) next door and had to change our hostel because the Dreamtime Travellers was fully booked. A friend and I decided to move into the Geckos. Short way to the Deamtime Hostel and the manager put us in a double room (Room No.3!!!! DANGEROUS!!!) for a very good price (I should say that everyone pays an other price/ It seemed as if they don't have a fixed pricelist). Anyways, the first night was okay and I woke up with few bites in the morning. I thought: No worries, some moskitobites. The second night was HORRIBLE. Woke up in the middle of the night, my arms and legs full with bedbug bites. There must have been hundreds of BB. My last 4 weeks in Australia were horrible. Took pills and had a terrible itchy time. Finally I can say, the Geckos destroyed my fantastic Australia adventure. I didn't say anything to the manager (red the reviews before) and told the staff what happened. Spent my last night on the bench in the Dreamtime Travellers. Wouldn't recommend this place! NEVER, not even for money! I

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
8  Thank ManiacHH
Geckoshostel, Manager at Gecko's Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2011

Hi, just to let you know that we really apriciate your comments about the hostel, We also like to inform that is under new managment and things have changed 360 degrees, guaranted!!, for that reason we invite you anytime to stay with us for free in order to make you feel a different experience