“Relaxed....”

Cairns City Backpackers
Ranked #71 of 84 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed 13 August 2013

One of the bestt hostel I have ever been to. I stayed in a 4 bed female dorm. The room and the shared bathrooms were clean and my room had it's own shower. The people at reception were very friendly and helpful. I liked the casual atmosphere especially in the outdoors areas where there are a number of tables surrounded by palm trees and tropical plants and under shade so it doesn't get too hot. Easy to meet other people there if you are a single traveller like I was.

Room Tip: 2 kangaroos has great mattresses, cant say anything about the other rooms as I didn't stay there...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Cairns City Backpackers

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Came here in July, had rather bad weather which dampened my experience. But the hostel itself was great, met so many nice people there. The buildings are quite old, but are kept clean. I found the upstairs kitchens better than the bottom one near the TV as they get used less and so are cleaner. Free dinners at the woolshed was a bonus but spent a bit too much money on drinks there. Am coming back again next year.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I was in a female dorm which had it's own shower. Room was clean, and the facilities were reasonably clean as well. Staff were very nice and overall I had a really good time. Best part were the other guests, all travellers from other countries so we all had a lot to talk about.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank janine p
Reviewed 29 June 2013

we stayed here for 3 nights and the first 2 nights were fine, however on the third night we moved rooms (as we havent pre-booked a 3rd night) and we got the last room in the hostel. 5 Boomerangs was the last room in the hostel and has a cockroach problem! When we rang management to complain about the fact we had killed 3 cockroaches in 10 mins and there were more around, we were greated with an unhelpful manager. We were informed there were no other rooms which obviously meant we could not move rooms so we had to sleep in the car. In the morning we were told the room has a noted cockroach problem…why then was the window left open, why is the room not sprayed to keep insects at bay and why is the room even let out when it does not meet an acceptable standard.

I accept this is a cheap place to stay, however i dont accept that hygiene should be compromised at any cost.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lonelytraveller170
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I stayed in the double room which was a lot nicer than I expected. It was located at the end of the complex so it was probably a lot quieter than staying in other rooms. The facilities were good. It had computers you could use, washer & drier, kitchen and decent bathroom facilities that were pretty clean. The 10:30pm noise curfew wasn't really enforced but my earplugs and the ceiling fan in my room blocked out the noise so I had no trouble sleeping. The staff were friendly and really helpful when it came to advice about tours and they booked anything you wanted to do at a discounted rate. The atmosphere of the place is good and it's not hard to make friends there. It has an outdoor area where everyone can get together for dinner and drinks and enjoy socialising. Overall my stay here was very relaxed and very positive.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I stayed on Cairns City Backpacker 2 weeks in a 6 bed dorm. Kitchens and bathrooms are good, clean but there is not enough shower... Friendly staff who help you everytime what you ask! There is some discount on many tours as well! Close to Coles and the city center you can go where you by foot!

Thanks for everything!

Cyril

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 May 2013

This place was not easy to find at first. It´s around 10 minutes walking to the city center, 15 minutes to the Lagoon and bus station. The street is deserted and dark at night. Well, Cairns is safe, so it shouldn't be a major problem.

The hostel is pretty old and kinda clean. It has a lot of outside common areas but lacks of a good inside lounge. The computers are outdated and the Internet expensive. Three kitchens almost guarantee you never have to wait for cooking. It´s a very quite place, not a party hostel at all. Feeling like a home, people is relaxed and leave the dorms doors wide open very often.

The staff was nice but not super friendly, just doing their job.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple