Tropic Days Backpackers
Hotels.com
US$100
US$92
  • Pool
Tropical Heritage Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$81
Cairns Plaza Hotel(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$79
Agoda.com
BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$212
US$182
Reef Palms(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$140
US$94
Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$83
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewsmonday nightaussie bbqpizza nightfree wififree busessister hostelfree pool tablehome away from homeclean kitchensbeautiful hostelcommunal areasfree tea and coffeedouble roomswimming poolair conbooking toursthe east coast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 July 2011

We stayed in a double room with good amenities. The bathroom was clean and the kitchen okay. The free wi-fi and friendly staff makes it good value for money. It is a bit far away from the center and although the hostel does regular bus runs in to town, we wouldn't have stayed here if we didn't have our own wheels.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2011

I have stayed in tropic days last week for my holidays.
Tropic days is a very warm and clean hostel.
Also, the price is very cheap and the location is very convenience.
Moreover, Gabriel, the owner of the hostel is a very nice guy who can help you to plan and book tours. He is very familiar with the tours in Cairns and can give you a good price for those tours.

Room Tip: All rooms are good!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2011

It's a great hostel: the rooms are specious and clean, and it is quite during the night, so you can have a good night sleep. The staff is just great - and they will go a mile to help you. It's a great hostel, because it suits everybody's needs: you can socialize with the others or if you prefer - just be by yourself (or the group of friends your are with). You have kitchens and kitchenettes. The only problem are the bathrooms: there is only one on each floor, and in peak hours that is not enough (but also not really that bad). The location is outside of the city center, but there is a shuttle bus (or a 15 min walk). I would highly recommend this hostel, because it was our best stay in Australia.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Stayed for just 2 nights but had a great experience. Very clean, friendly atmosphere, this place was just great. 10/10. And don't miss the Monday Night BBQ :-)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I arrived at Tropic Days on the 22nd June and stayed for 4 nights. I was using this hostel to explore Cairns, the Reef etc.
I travelled down from Airlie Beach on the Greyhound, the bus arrived into Cairns terminal at 6.30am and I waited for the hostel to pick me up at 7.30am - free.

On arrival, Kathy (the owner) greeted me at reception, collected my payment plus $10 key deposit and showed me to my room (number 9) 4 bed share on the ground floor next to reception and kitchen - it could get a little noisy but this didn't affect my sleep during the day or night - reception closes at 8pm and the kitchen 10pm.
The room was clean and had fresh sheets & towel (yes free clean towel - heaven!)
The hostel also has a camping site if you don't want to stay in a room or dorm. $16 each a night if you want to use their tents or $11 each a night if you have your own.

The hostel offers free wifi for everyone (password given at check-in) and there are free use of computers in reception if you do not have a laptop, iPhone etc. etc.
Kitchen was always clean and whenever I went to cook there was always space on the counter and in the oven/on the stove.
At check-in I was given a voucher for a free meal at the woolshed in the centre. I never went here because I cooked every night but from what I heard it was fine for a free meal. You could use this every night excluding Monday & Thursday because the hostel done a 'BBQ night' ($12) and 'Pizza Night' ($10.)

Bathrooms and toilets are dotted about the hostel and I found that there was always one available - if there wasn't I didn't have to wait too long and they were always clean!!

The swimming pool is nice but quite small. But for the number of people that stayed during the day it was fine. Hamocks were dotted about and there is free use of the pool table. There is a drinks and snack machine available. Cans for $1.60!!! SO CHEAP!!

The hostel offers a free shuttle bus down to 'Bus Stop D' in Central Cairns several times a day free of charge!! I used this a lot. However it is only a 20 minute walk away.
Nearest Supermarket it Cole's in the Cairns Central Shopping centre - 10 minute walk. Here you will also find cinema, Macca's, Hungry Jacks and other various different take aways.

Overall I had a FANTASTIC time at Tropic Days. I would not hesitate to book here again or recommend it to anyone.

Thanks to all the staff (owners, reception, cleaners) at Tropic Days :)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo