“Great value accommodation”

Ranked #21 of 85 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
Mission Beach, Australia
“Great value accommodation”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The rooms are basic, but clean. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. The location is ideal- close to a great shopping center, and plenty of restaurants and bars nearby. There is secure, enclosed parking as well, which is great to find in the wet season!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joeyjojojuniorshabad

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Busan, South Korea
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We really enjoyed this Backpackers. The staff was very helpful, the room was clean, and we could easily walk to all the places we needed to go. Wish we would of had time to swim in the pool! Thanks to the great staff for a great stay!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Orionsister
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

I have booked a single room in YHA Cairns. As always i can't complain, it was simply/ basic but clean as well located with a shopping mall and facilities close by.
Staff was helpful and gave me good suggestions for tours.
I would stay again cost x benefit worthwhile.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Shali72
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I was in the Cairns YHA at the begining of december for 3 nights but I extended my stay for 4 nights more because I felt good at this place
The people at the front office was very nice and helpt me when I need it
I organised my 2 months in Australia from Cairns by Sandra, a very nice french girl. She helpt me in the reservation for the next YHA and for booking my trip (magnetic Island, fraser Island,white sundays ...greyhoundbus...)
This YHA is very friendly because the rooms are all over the pool, the kitchen, the bathroom but it s quiet
There is a good service: the kitchen opens at 5.30am, at 7am free pancakes, nice people at the reception until 11pm, shuttle bus for the airport, shopping centre front the reception ...
Rooms are simple but clean
Cairns is a very nice place
thanks for my stay in the Cairns Central YHA

Room Tip: i had a single room so it was more expansive but nice
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 583marie
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Very disappointed with my stay at the YHA in Cairns and definitely wouldn't check-in here again.

As a YHA member, I was disappointed that wifi isn't included in member discounts, but I was absolutely amazed that you are charged to leave your bags somewhere! I have *never* had to pay for somewhere to leave my bags in a youth hostel before!! My six hour gap between departure and flight cannot be unusual and so I imagine this is a significant money-making opportunity, and one that made me feel distinctly unappreciated as a member and guest. Furthermore, I had splashed out and booked a private room which was extremely basic in comparison to equivalents I have seen elsewhere, and I was almost amused that a frosted pane of glass in my window had simply been replaced with a clear pane instead. Its significance was less in the effect it had on me, but rather the level of service and opinion towards staying guests.

I received such a warm and friendly welcome from a very nice south-east Asian girl at reception when I arrived, but unfortunately this was not followed through by other staff. A woman called Sandra or Sandy at reception was extremely condescending and rude to me when I presented my debit card to pay for wifi. 'Really! Plastic? Plastic for that!' was her response, and then I was told that she would waive the debit card fee just this one time but I should consider myself lucky and it wouldn't be happening again. It seems like such a petty situation, but she kept going on about it in such a rude manner, and I always make a point in being polite and friendly to others so I can't even imagine I provoked a hostile response from bad attitude at my end. I concluded by advising her as politely as I could that if it was to cause such a problem, she should in future inform customers of this before they make a purchase, and hope this would be considered again should anyone from the YHA be reading this.

When someone gives you a patronising dressing down in public with no good reason, it stays with you and leaves you feeling flat. Apart from the wonderful service I received at check-in, I failed to receive any warmth or friendliness from any other staff at the YHA, which makes such an enormous difference when you are staying somewhere. I always go to the YHA as a first point of call because I trust them to put their members first, but all I got from the Cairns branch was a disinterested money-making focus where members and guests were of no importance. They unfortunately let the YHA brand down.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank PeripateticPom
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Highly Recommended!

For those who do not mind to share with other backpackers, YHA definitely saves you a lot of other unnecessary expenses. All we wanted is just a bed to overnight and a bathroom, YHA has it. It also provides free pancakes in the morning from 7-9am! How good is that!

YHA has a storage area for backpackers who reached Cairns earlier than check-in time. Me and my buddy reached Cairns early morning and we stored our stuff in the storage for 8 hours. We then retrieve our stuffs after we got back from tour.

You can book your tours with YHA stuffs. They are pretty friendly and very efficient. Let them know if you need to hire GoPro camera, internet or even changing your coins for laundry.

Room Tip: Room with 4 shared people with a bathroom is the best.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joyce4eva
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We had a private room which although small was clean and great value. The facilities are excellent and the location was great. Shopping centre with supermarkets opposite or a 5 minute walk into the central area.

Our only negative about our stay was a member of staff (of seemingly middle eastern appearance) who refused to help us book some tours for the when we were in Melbourne a few days later. We were told this was because it was 'late' and that we should do it online however because there was less than 5 days until the tours we were not able to do it online! this surprised us as we were not aware of a cut off time for assistance and it also surprised his fellow staff members when they were delighted to help us the following morning.

great bathroom facilities and also nice pool and 'Cold' tub!

Keep up the good work Cairns YHA but sack the unhelpful and lazy member of staff doing the night shift on Friday 20th December (I think) !!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple