“Helpful staff”

Cairns Central YHA Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #20 of 84 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

The room was good & clean but rather drab, but I guess that's what you get from a hostel. If you are a princess I don't recommend this place, but if you are just looking for a place to sleep this will work just fine. The staff were very helpful recommending different sights/ tours as our Great Barrier Reef trip was cancelled due to the weather.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lindsay W
There are newer reviews for Cairns Central YHA Backpackers Hostel

Reviewed 14 March 2014

We stayed in this YHA for 4 nights in January 2014. The location is okay - about 15 mins walk to the front and where the barrier reef boats from, and the rooms although basic, were of a reasonable size.
There is a free pancake breakfast on offer which was well received and a pool in the middle of the grounds. We had a double ensuite room which was quiet, we were away from the main courtyard, so I'm not sure what noise was like for the rooms off there.
The staff helped us book outings and were very friendly. The only slight niggle was the ineffectiveness of the air conditioning, but we did visit in a heat wave!
Overall, a good experience and I would recommend this as a budget choice in Cairns.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lib0405
Reviewed 5 March 2014

This is one of the best hostels i have stayed in. The rooms are clean and fully airconditioned. Its located across the road from a massive shopping centre, which has a big food court (good for a cheap meal) and has a coles supermarket aswell. The Kitchen was one of the cleanest i have seen from a hostel. Kept clean by fellow backpackers and staff. All you saw was the staff cleaning. The reception staff were very helpful and gave you lots of choices for tours too the one that best suited you. We also got a free pancake breakfast every morning we were there. It had a good sized pool which was also very clean. Its about a 15 minute walk to the esplanade and the outdoor lagoon. amazing stay!

Room Tip: Double rooms are small but very clean. Air conditioning is in every room.
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The rooms are basic, but clean. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. The location is ideal- close to a great shopping center, and plenty of restaurants and bars nearby. There is secure, enclosed parking as well, which is great to find in the wet season!

1  Thank joeyjojojuniorshabad
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We really enjoyed this Backpackers. The staff was very helpful, the room was clean, and we could easily walk to all the places we needed to go. Wish we would of had time to swim in the pool! Thanks to the great staff for a great stay!!

1  Thank Orionsister
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

I have booked a single room in YHA Cairns. As always i can't complain, it was simply/ basic but clean as well located with a shopping mall and facilities close by.
Staff was helpful and gave me good suggestions for tours.
I would stay again cost x benefit worthwhile.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Shali72
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I was in the Cairns YHA at the begining of december for 3 nights but I extended my stay for 4 nights more because I felt good at this place
The people at the front office was very nice and helpt me when I need it
I organised my 2 months in Australia from Cairns by Sandra, a very nice french girl. She helpt me in the reservation for the next YHA and for booking my trip (magnetic Island, fraser Island,white sundays ...greyhoundbus...)
This YHA is very friendly because the rooms are all over the pool, the kitchen, the bathroom but it s quiet
There is a good service: the kitchen opens at 5.30am, at 7am free pancakes, nice people at the reception until 11pm, shuttle bus for the airport, shopping centre front the reception ...
Rooms are simple but clean
Cairns is a very nice place
thanks for my stay in the Cairns Central YHA

Room Tip: i had a single room so it was more expansive but nice
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo