“Thank You to Tony and Sandy for Fab Stay at Coral Towers”

Coral Towers Holiday Suites
Ranked #23 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
London, United Kingdom
“Thank You to Tony and Sandy for Fab Stay at Coral Towers”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed here for the first time in August this year and would love to go back. Great apartments, great customer service from the wonderful Tony and Sandy, who give expert advice on what trips to book and where to go. One tip - book direct with them to negotiate the best deal. We made the mistake of booking via a well known internet hotel site which offered great deals, but we discovered the apartment we booked via this site was on a low level with decent views, but if we had booked direct we would have been able to have a higher level appartment with amazing views for more or less the same price. However, realising our disappointment, the wonderful Sandy kindly upgraded us to the 5th floor where we enjoyed a fantastic view in our lovely apartment. We found Coral Towers accommodation fabulous - spotlessly clean, spacious, well appointed - we even had a laundry room! The walk into centre of Cairns is a leisurely 20-25 mins along the beautiful esplanade, and you can walk to the Botanical Gardens in 15 mins which we highly recommend. Airport no more than 10 mins by taxi so for us perfect situation. Will definitely choose these apartments again and definitely no hesitation in recommending them.

Room Tip: We were on 5th floor, just above tree level, room 28, which is on a corner so had great views to fro...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
CoralTowers, Manager at Coral Towers Holiday Suites, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Hi Sandie and Steve,
Thank you for your great review and comments - we,too, also think that Coral Towers is just fantastic. Always happy to help all of our guests and if possible and if upgrades are available - happy to give them.
See you next time you are in Cairns on holidays.
Sandy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Motueka, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This is the third time we have stayed here, and quite simply can see no reason to look anywhere else for Cairns accommodation. The value for money outstrips anywhere else in Cairns we have looked at. Apartment 35 on level 7 is awesome. And this year, the owner had put in new bi-fold doors off the lounge, so the breeze and view was outstanding. The apartment is very clean, modern and spacious, with everything we need. Comfortable bed, with plenty of extra bedding/pillows available if needed. Was sorry to miss Sandy this year, but Tony was great, helping us with whatever we needed. See you guys next year :)

Room Tip: If you can get apartment 35 (one bedroom), take it!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrea B
Hi Andrea and Tony,
So sorry that I missed you this year and yes , will definitly be here next time you come. 3years in a row - wow - great and Apt35 - fantastic views - will always try to make it available for you. I know that it is your favourite apt.

Take Care,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We spent 3 lovely weeks on the 7th level of Coral Towers and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The apartment was clean, comfortable and quite spacious. We particularly liked the view, always something to see out on the water or on the esplanade. It is very quiet and peaceful which suited us fine. It's a lovely walk along the boardwalk into town. Sandy is a great ambassador for Coral Towers. Nothing is too much trouble for her and she always has time for a chat. Don't be put off by the exterior appearance of the building, what it lacks in elegance on the outside is well and truly made-up for by the rooms, the view and the lovely host Sandy. We will be back with our overseas visitors in October.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi William and Beverley,
Thank you for your great comments and review - so happy that you enjoyed your time with us.
Yea - the building is going to be painted next year - will make a 'huge' difference to our overall look. But I do agree with you, the exterior is just that ' exterior', the apartments are hugh and space is plentiful.

We will be seeing you again - very soon.
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Spent 1 week in apartment, very nice people, if you want a good unit I recommend number 22. It was nice and spacious with modern decor and the view was spectacular...thanks Sandy....we will be returning next year...

• Stayed July 2013
Hello Darryl,
Thank you very much for your reveiw - it is great to get such positive feed back - we really do appreciate it.
See you next time you are in Cairns.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2013

2b apartment was nice, big and clean, had everything we needed.
we enjoyed the sea view from our balcony!
spa & pool made kids very busy & happy
30 min promenade walk to the city center -on the way kids enjoyed Muddy's playground and big swimming pool in the city
very friendly and helpful staff!
Thank you Sandy!
the trip booked to Kuranda with the tour desk was fantastic! We followed Sandy's advice about the boat trip and beautiful homemade ice-cream. Skyrail is just beautiful!! all these made our rainforest adventure unforgettable!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
CoralTowers, Manager at Coral Towers Holiday Suites, responded to this review, 20 July 2013
Hello Anna,
Thank you for your comments and rating for our complex. As you know we take great pride in our apartments and always try to help all of our guests enjoy their time and holiday with us.
See you next time you are in Cairns.
Reviewed 11 July 2013

These apartments were exactly what my family needed for our stay in Cairns. The 2 bedroom apartment was spacious enough that there was enough room for my husband and I and our 11 and 13 year old. The kitchen was well supplied which was perfect since we saved so much money by cooking our own meals and packing picnic lunches for our trips out. It is far enough away from the hustle and bustle of central Cairns but still close enough to walk to everything (it took us 20mins to walk our shopping back). One of the best features is Sandy at Reception and her friendly and helpful attitude and her extremely valuable local knowledge. Even though we usually stay at Hilton and other 5 star accommodation, the Coral Towers was perfect for this 11 night stay as it gave us an affordable home base to rest and relax in between all our expeditions of what Cairns has to offer. Oh and the beautiful view from our balcony was just a bonus!!

• Stayed June 2013
CoralTowers, Manager at Coral Towers Holiday Suites, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Hello Michelle and Craig,
Thank you for your wonderful comments for Coral Towers and so very please that you enjoyed your time with us. We do try to make all of our guests stays 'great' and I like to give as much help and local knowledge that I can , to everyone.
See you next time you are holidays up this way.
Regards,
Denver
Reviewed 9 July 2013

First, before you book here, know what you're booking. This is not a hotel. Instead they are self-contained apartments. It wasn't until I arrived that I realized the difference between self-contained and serviced. Self-contained was more like a US condo. This meant that we didn't get fresh towels daily and that we were responsible for taking out garbage and such. Not a big deal, but not what I expected either.

Next, be aware that it seems the condition of the units varies a bit from one to another. My relatives were in a "Deluxe" unit and it was somewhat more attractive though I didn't take a close look at it.

Also, I suspect that what has been said about the staff is true -- my family spoke with them and found them friendly and helpful. I didn't interact with them at all, mostly because I was so upset with the condition of our unit, I was fairly sure I wouldn't say anything nice. Ordinarily I would have spoken up, but in this circumstance my Mother - in - law was treating us and I couldn't risk appearing ungrateful.

We were in unit 19 for about 6 days in June / July. It was dirty. In particular the walls, baseboards & drapes were dirty. Also the lampshades all had notable dust and stains no the lampshades. It was also poorly maintained with peeling paint on the ceiling in the bathroom and laundry room and a doorknob that was difficult at best. The kitchen items didn't match at all and the toaster was filthy and sparked when I tried to use it. There were warnings about a $1,000 fine if the fire alarm was set off by accident. While I realize that they want to minimize alarms, it wasn't exactly welcoming. Neither were their book of rules, and the fact that you had to rent pool towels and buy beach towels.

Also, there isn't really lobby per se -- it's an entrance with a desk that is sort of "gated." I should say that while I did feel safe at all times, my initial thought was that I was in a bad neighborhood.

I actually liked the location OK -- but it was a very long walk to the center of things. I also didn't find the airplane noise bothersome. The view, particularly at sunrise & sunset was nice, but since one of our balcony chairs was cracked, we had to take turns sitting outside to enjoy it. Also, there was an incredible amount of clutter on the decks below us -- we wondered if people actually live in some of the units? Again, not what I was expecting at all.

Oh, and I've heard people complain about hard beds before and just thought they were whining, our bed (the queen) was not only hard, but since it didn't sit level it "rocked" and made noise each time one of us moved. I ended up sharing with the kids which completely defeated the purpose of a two bedroom unit!

I snapped some pictures and I think they do a great job of showing what I think was wrong. I would not, under any circumstances, return to this place.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay here but if you do, ask for deluxe.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank xyz0406
We do not advertise to be a 'Hotel' and our website clearly states our facilities and our services that are available. This guest booked 1 x Deluxe Apt and 1 x Standard - and as we do advertise Penthouse ,Deluxe and Standard Apts - all with different nightly rates- there is again clearly a reason as to by the rates vary. All apts will always have a certain amount of wear'n'tear, we have noted this guests concerns and have taken on board the issues.
The toaster has been replaced and if the guest had told us that it was 'sparking', we would have been able to attend to it while she was here. QFS set the call out/false alarm fee at $1000.00, we make our guests aware of the QFS guidelines and try to miminise the alarms by doing so. With regard to our Reception Area, we are not a 5 Star Holiday Inn, with a 'lobby - marble counters and 3+ staff working - 24/7". We have a Full Tour Desk and Front Reception Counter.
I can also assure the guest that 'The Esplanade' is definitely not a bad neighbourhood - as she would have seen for herself during her stay.
We offer "Pool Towels" for a rental of $3.00 per towel, for the guests entire stay - whether it be 2 days or 2 weeks. We do not 'Sell' beach towels.
We always do our best to look after all of our guests needs during their stay and attend to and fix any problems for them but we do need to be told about them first.
We do also hope that future guests will read all of our reviews and form their own opinions.