“Good Budget Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #34 of 65 Hotels in Cairns
Austria
“Good Budget Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2010

Great friendly staff. Excellent price at $100 with bfast with free airport transfers. I was just here for overnight and could not ask for more. Central to Esplanade ...great walkingtrack. oh yeah free internet too!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 5 nights on our first visit to Cairns. The motel offers free airport transfers which was great and quick. We arrived at 9am and they had our room ready for us even though check in was at 11am. Staff were helpful and gave us advice when we first arrived. Room was large with a double and single bed, large bathroom and balcony with chairs. The motel has a pool and kitchen area which can be used until 9pm at night plus free internet which was great. Breakfast is served from 6.30-11am and was included in the price. Cereals, toast, fruit juice enough to keep you full for the morning. Room was cleaned every day and fresh towels were left. A 2 minute walk to the start of the Esplanade and a further 5-10 minute walk to the best bits of Cairns.

I would highly recommend this for travellers who want a clean room, breakfast/interent and don't mind a 10 minute walk into the city. There is a bus stop nearby but we never used it. We got a taxi a couple of times and only cost $6-8 from center of Cairns.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KaraP87
Halifax
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2007

The Balinese Motel was the worst hotel I stayed in the Cairns area. I asked for a single room and was given a dark, dingy room that was jam packed with two small single beds and an open fold away bed which made the room even more cramped. The bedding had a terrible musty smell, which suggest that they were either not washed or that there was mould in the rooms. I felt so uncomfortable as for sure the roaches were out as soon as the lights were off. The walls were as thin as paper which meant I could hear my neighbour's every word and television. The receptionist was never there and very unfriendly. Thank goodness it was just the one night and I had a 6 am flight to take. I would not recommend it even for an overnight stay.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
5 Thank globetrotterYHZ
Cologne currently
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2005

My girlfriend and I stayed here on our mad-dash around the world (1month) and we stayed here for 2 or 3 nights. It seems a shame that the last review of a bad experience would take the shine off staying here - it was FAB!!

Of all the places we stayed (in 4 countries) during our trip this was one of the best. OK so the pool is small (and v.cold!!) but it's really funky, the breakfast isn't huge but it's adaquate and I agree the out-of-hours service could be better. *Note Internet doesn't always work either but plenty of options in Cairns*

However the main draw here for me was the room - enormous for the price, tasteful decor, newly fitted bathroom and cooling floortiles. Yes the aircon was also spectularly efficient - great if you travel in summer. *Also the manager let us keep our bags there for free when out at the GBR - not a huge thing but a nice touch*

I did take some photos but they were deleted (lost my other memory card) so I urge you to prove me right! The location is also good - walking distance to esplanade but far enough away to be quiet.

• Stayed July 2005
1 Thank flashpacker
Carlisle, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2005

We loved staying at the Balinese - couldn't drag ourselves away. Sure, it's not perfect, it's only a "motel" and out of hours service is a bit tricky to get but... fabulously quiet aircon, quiet location (10-15mins walk to town), effervescent and helpful owner (Rose), small clean pool, airport pickup, free but limited breakfast, nice rooms, new bathrooms, free internet, kitchen facilities and laundry. I'd stay again if I was back in Cairns, no question.

• Stayed March 2003
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank raskolnikov
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2005

Booked over the internet for a late night arrival one night layover. The staff replied to email inquiries promptly and was quite helpful. They'd left the keys in the electric slot with the A/C on and the door open for me, so that I arrived close to midnight to a comfortable room. Breakfast area was quite relaxing next to the pool. Self-serve including clean-up. Free internet access from the full kitchen. Convenient location, just a few blocks from the Esplanade and shopping areas. Free airport shuttle during daytime hours was very convenient.

• Stayed May 2005