“Truly Tropical - We loved it!”

Bay Village Tropical Retreat
Ranked #27 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 6 January 2012

My husband and I stayed with our baby at the Bay Village Tropical Retreat for five days in summer 2011 after having travelled from Darwin to Alice Springs in a campervan. After three weeks in a campervan, the hotel was a real treat for us. The room had plenty of space. They actually gave us a free upgrade so that we had an additional room to use, which was excellent.

The hotel staff were exceptionally helpful and we enjoyed the buffet-style breakfast in the mornings. The pool was icecold though. I guess because it was winter and Australians do not seem to heat their pools, but that was the only downside as the pool area was very inviting.

Dinner at the Balinese restaurant in the hotel was very special as well. All in all, I can wholeheartedly recommend this hotel. It would be my first choice if I went to Cairns again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Sanni1

Reviewed 27 December 2011

The hotel is pretty, with a small but nice pool in the courtyard and decent rooms. The location is a bit removed from the rest of the Cairns city area (such as it is) but I didn't get a chance to really walk around so I can't stay how long it'd take to get from one place to another.

One major thing I did like was that there's a free shuttle to and from the airport. At the airport near the bathrooms, there's a free phonebank that allows you to type in a 3 digit code which will put you through various hotels in the area. Bay Village is one of them (there are ads posted right above the phone bank) and they tell you where to wait for pickup. Since it's a 6 minute drive from the airport to the hotel, it's very fast and very convenient. If you want them to drive you from the airport back to the hotel, you do have to arrange that with them though I'm not sure how far in advance; I ended up using a private shuttle service since I needed to be at the airport around 4:30 in the morning.

My only complaint is that hundreds of little ant-like insects were drawn to my belongings and ended up crawling inside my purse. Admittedly, I had accidentally left a half-eaten chocolate flavored meal bar in the purse which I shouldn't have done, however, even after we alerted the hotel and I'd thrown away my food, there was still a line of them coming from underneath the locked adjoining room door. I was only in Cairns for 2 days and I've dealt with insects in hotels before (almost unavoidable in hot temperatures) but the fact that they were coming from an adjoining room even after I tossed my food would have become a bigger problem if I were staying longer.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank musicdiamond
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We (me, my wife and my 6 year old daughter) were traveling to Cairns with my friend and his family (friend, his wife and his 2 and half year old daughter) and booked a 2 bed room apartment with kitchen and common room. And I am happy to report that we made a good decision.

Bay Village is 15 minute drive from the Cairns airport and hotel arranged a free pickup (and drop) for us.

Staff was very friendly, helpful and cheerful.

Our apartment itself was very well ventilated both (air and light) and very clean. Bed rooms were just perfect -- not too large and not too small. Bathrooms were also clean and perfect and were well stocked with all required toiletries including shaving cream.

Apartment room had a nice kitchen which was well stocked with everything one would need to cook nice breakfast or dinner. In fact we did make bread-omelettes, sandwiches and rice. There was plenty of cutlery and other utensils. Toaster, dishwasher, microwave and electric stove were also very functional.

The common room was large and had nice dinning table and 2 sofas. Apartment also had a nice sit-out.

In short we were very happy with the apartment and utilized all the facilities.

Hotel itself is a good 20 minutes walk from the the Cairns Water Front, Esplanade and with 2 children our walks stretched upto 30 minutes. Looking back we felt that we should have rented a car!

Over all we had a great time at Hotel Bay Village. Just one negative point that I have is: We were offered complimentary break-fast for 2 people, even though we had booked a 2 bed room apartment (which is expected to host 2+2 = 4 people)!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank hapuchu
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Pros:
Fairly large one bed room ( we were upgraded from the original studio we booked)
kitchenette/Fridge
Large bathroom
pool
Free airport transportation(make sure to book with reception the day before) Both only between 7AM and I believe 7PM.

Cons:
No wifi/broadband. It was very expensive to purchase.
A bit far from the main area. About a 30 minute walk.
No public transportation however this is not the fault of the hotel this is just not really available in Cairns. A shuttle bus would be helpful though.
You have to rent towels to use for their pool.($1)
Restaurants are not too close by. Their onsite Restaurant looks like it'd be nice however, having just been in Bali we were not fans of Balinese food.
No elevator so this may be a problem for those who have trouble climbing stairs
no TV in bedroom. This bothered my husband quite a bit. There was one in the living room.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank oxjohnnysangelxo
Reviewed 12 September 2011

great location Family apartments are well looked after,able to cook and have a quite time with the Family

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank m c
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We just needed a clean, comfortable and good value hotel for a couple of nights in Cairns and the Bay Village hit the spot. The room was a great size with a comfortable bed, good bathroom and shower and it was very clean. The hotel is quite relaxing to say that it is in Cairns town - tastefully decorated in a Balinese style with great flora and lighting and a modest swimming pool to have a dip. The staff were dead friendly and nothing was too much trouble from helping with laundry to recommending trips out. A great hotel. Also check out the Balinese restaurant in the hotel - beautiful food and a great atmosphere.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank cprior26
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Good hotel in a reasonable location. Two streets back from the esplanade but only 10 minute walk to seafront restaurants.

Spacious rooms. Quiet at night.

Nice swimming pool.

Restaurant in only Balinese which is great if this is to your taste but there are no alternatives.

We arrived here on a Sunday and Cairns seems to be very quiet and we even struggled to find somewhere to get breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2011