“great value, clean, good breakfast”

Bay Village Tropical Retreat
Ranked #26 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
UK
“great value, clean, good breakfast”
Reviewed 28 August 2008

Nice rooms, great price, a bit of a retreat and provides excellent overall value for money
Had supper there too. Food very good, not expensive and way better than the fast food stuff sold in most of the town centre restaurants.

Yes it is a 20 min walk from town centre (see a previous complaint) but the town centre is a bit of a dump... so who would want to stay there.

• Liked — clean, spacious, good food
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Polish first
Paris
Reviewed 19 August 2008

My girlfriend and I went to the Bay Village Retreat last July and it was fantastic. We had some doubts about this hotel but when we arrived everything was great. The receptionist was very nice and we had no problem with the room.
It is a good value hotel. I will recommend it if you are looking for a little friendly hotel in Cairns without wasting money but with a good standard.

Just two little problems:
- The breakfast is very light comparing to what other hotels can offer.
- The hotel is still 10 to 15 minutes walking to the heart of the city.

But overall, it is an great hotel!!
And do not go there without going to the Balinese Restaurant of the hotel, it is simply gorgeous!

• Stayed July 2008
1 Thank Tomtomy
Godalming, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2008

Stayed here for 4 nights in August 2005, great place.
The location was excellent with easy walking distance to the marina and shops and restaurants. The staff were really friendly, particularly when they came to pick us up from the airport, they were knowledgable and happy to advise on the best things to do in Cairns.
As for the rooms - clean & tidy. We had been given two adjoining rooms which was great as we were a family and standard rooms only sleep two. The larger of the two rooms also had cooking facilities.
We were staying on a B&B basis and the buffett for breakfast was fantastic! We also used the pool at the hotel which was good but it didn't get much sunlight i don't think so it was rather chilly.
All in all an excellent hotel!

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Pool
  • Stayed August 2005, travelled with family
1 Thank Rubber_Duckie89
England
Reviewed 21 March 2008

Very rude receptionist tried to charge us again for a trip we had already paid for and wouldnt take our word that we had paid and said there was no record of it (very rudely). I gave her our invoice that we paid off and she said 'that means nothing!!' Their unorganised staff hadnt taken the charge off our room.

I have also never stayed in a hotel where they make you pay per night to use a safe (there are none in the room) however there are notices in your room saying there are thieves around, lock your doors, dont take a lot of cash out etc. Doesnt make sense!

However nice clean rooms with small kitchen.

I must say that the restaurant there is very nice though - Balinese.

Very nice friendly hotel airport shuttle driver - and its free!

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank Honeyjj
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 15 February 2008

The hotel was well priced and very clean. The staff was very friendly and helped us book excursions for the days ahead. But by far the best thing there was the wonderful restaurant. We ordered a feast for two that gave us a taste of just about everything on the menu. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Liked — the restaurant
  • Disliked — the beds were a little old
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alison1975
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2007

The start of our australian break was 5 days at Bay Village. We were collected from the airport by a member of the management who told us the hotel wasn't overly busy on that particular day (bank holiday). Arrived at hotel reception having just travelled on a 10hr flight at 8.30am. Told by a very unhelpful receptionist that they were BUSY (we actually belived the management as it certainly didn't seem busy and if it was why was he reading a magazine) and the room wouldn't be ready until 2pm. He could store our bags. With that he went back to reading and left us standing. We were given no information on where we could get a drink, or freshen up so we ended up walking the 15 mins walk to the shops. As it was a bank holiday many of the cafes were shut but we managed to find friendly staff at a cafe in the town. We arrived back at the hotel at 12 hot, sticky and extremely tired and ended up dozing on the sofa in reception. We eventually got into our room at 13:45 - had a shower and went straight to sleep exhausted. What a waste of a day, had their been facilities for us to get a drink and freshen up on our arrival it would have been much nicer. The receptionist was unfriendly and we spent the rest of our stay avoiding asking him anything. The rest of the staff were friendly - but first impressions count.

The Bay Tree restaraunt served excellant food and the inclusive breakfasts were nicely presented and cooked.

The room was clean and a good size, with its own kitchenette. It was situated next to the restaurant and late at night it was noisy with the sound of bottles being disposed of - so be aware if you are a light sleeper (luckily we are not).

My advice if you are going to be staying at Bay Village is get a later flight so you arrive 2pm onwards as there appears to be no give in the checking in time unlike the other 5 places we stayed all of which accommodated us on arrival.

There is an excellant range of brochures for excusions in the reception and it is ideally situated if you intend to spend most of your time on excursions or have your own vehicle.

• Liked — Spacious
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank horseshoes89
Austin, TX
Reviewed 15 September 2007

I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at this hotel. You never know what you are getting when you book from a review and don't have a personal recommendation. I loved it. I felt like I was in the South Pacific. They have an open air lobby which is nice. I don't know if I got upgraded or if that was a standard room but it was huge! I am used to small hotel rooms in my price range and this was a very nice surprise. I had a kitchen area and very large bathroom. The bed was comfy as well. I felt like I was staying in an apartment. This hotel is a 15 min. walk into the heart of Cairns which was fine for me. Downtown Cairns can be loud at night if there is an event going on so staying 15 mins. away was nice and quiet for me. I was traveling alone and felt very safe walking around by myself. The staff is very friendly (well at least for the most part). Be aware, they charge extra for everything to beach towels, safety deposit boxes and if you don't wash your dishes and put them away in your room, they will charge you extra. You must dine at the yummy balinese restaurant on the property. It was delicious but also be aware, you can't take a doggy bag home in Queensland. The portions were pretty big. So if you can't eat it all, you can't take it with you. 1 added bonus is they provide free shuttle service to and from the airport. Overall, I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — The feel of the South Pacific
  • Disliked — I thought they charged for too standard items, ie. beach towels, safety deposit and if you didn't clean your dishes in your room. That is what maid service is for.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo