“served the purpose...”
Review of Hides Hotel Cairns

Hides Hotel Cairns
Ranked #54 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Yes, this is a quirky, old hotel. I chose to stay here the night before a 5:30 am flight to Brisbane (I was in Port Douglas, an hour away). It has an excellent location, near so many restaurants, bars, etc. I did not have much time to explore, but did walk to the Red Ochre restaurant for dinner after I checked in. There was a major rugby game that night, so bars were packed and the streets were full of activity. The hotel was absolutely fine for a night, and really I could have stayed here for a few days given the excellent location. You get what you pay for, of course, so there are no frills, but a reasonable bed and bathroom for the price. Did anyone else think about the movie the Shining when walking the halls????

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 July 2013

I stayed at Hides Hotel by myself for 2nights (Thurs and Sun nights) in their basic room with bathroom. Reception was friendly and helpful. Hotel is quite old but has been semi-renovated so it still has that old world feel, yet is clean and functional. Breakfast included toast, cereals, boiled eggs juice cordial and coffee. Only negative was group of local men singing until 7am Fri morning outside my window (I was on third floor.) Windows are not that soundproof, but I slept like a baby so I only noticed this when I awoke to leave at 6.30am. It's around a 3star hotel, so don't expect more than a clean, centrally located, practical, cheap hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms are quieter away from the main balcony
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Rippa99
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed here for 6 days and found my stay enjoyable, The breakfast was very good, The reception staff were very helpful, My room was basic and clean which is all I needed, The location is superb everything that I wanted was within walking distance, As for the noise factor that everyone complains about in previous reviews of this Hotel well I did not here any noise in my stay here, besides 1 bloke yelling at someone late at night outside the Hotel which is to be expected as it was on a Saturday night.. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that stays in Cairns !!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Traveller69692013
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My husband and I would not recommend this hotel. Of particular concern was that the poor sound proofing meant that we barely slept a wink - it was so noisy outside and there was no escape from this racket. Our room was reasonably clean but very rundown with worn and torn bedding and towels and the hallway was grimy and stale smelling. On the other hand it was good to have secure parking provided close by. The whole place needs a serious makeover as in its current state it offers poor value for money and a generally unpleasant experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TuiHill
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We had a great experience here - the room was clean and comfy and had everything we needed. Reception was very helpful when needed and breakfast on the terrace each morning was a nice option to have. The location is unbeatable, literally in the heart of Cairns and close to everything. I highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrea S
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Just as the title says, the hotel was awful, the room was OK and the location was spot on. On arrival the receptionist was rude and unhelpful. It was a very unpleasant looking hotel from the outside, and from the reception. The room was a little better, 4 single beds, but, as they were on wheels during the night they moved A LOT. I ended up having a kingsize type bed with the girl next to me!! (We were friends so it was ok!) The plug sockets were shoddy, a couple were coming out of the wall - dangerous.
The bathroom was huge, really decent shower, 2 sinks, no problems there at all.
The location was great, by that I mean central, 5 minute walk to night market, bus station right outside. Sitting on the communal balcony there seemed to be a little square where the local drunks would hang out. Three times in two days I saw police with these drunks. I wouldn't like to be a lone female walking around there at night time.
On the whole, depending on what you want you could stay here for a relatively cheap stay, but, there are much better places in Cairns.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Donnym23
Reviewed 14 June 2013

The HIdes is in a great location in the center of everything and close to the ferry terminal. Our room had a nice sized refrigerator, queen bed, twin bed, and nice bathroom. We actually stayed two separate nights as we took the ferry to Fitzroy. The continental breakfast included hard boiled eggs, different varieties of breads and spreads, cereals, juice, etc. We didn't need anything else until dinner. The managers can recommend tours and restaurants and are most accommodating. Rooms to the back are the quietest. Breakfast is on the balcony of the heritage original building with lovely views. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back, away from the street are quietest.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple