“Would not recommend”

Ranked #55 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Nashville, Tennessee
“Would not recommend”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Old hotel in need of some upkeep and repairs. Room was basic, windows frosted and locked so you cant open or see put. They charge alot for internet that was so slow it was basically unusuable. Safe in room required a key, for which they also charge. Good location, but we would stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trvelor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Mount Gambier, Australia
Reviewed 5 September 2013

we booked a 13 day package deal on line to Cairns, On arrival at hotel we were not happy with our room in the heritage area ,The shower had aluminium on the floor very slippery and know where to put soap shampoo etc. fridge didn't work ,It was a Saturday the noise from the Irish pub underneath our room was terrible
So on Monday we saw the manager and said we were not happy with room and asked for a upgrade and for a small fee to a very nice quite room,
Now to cleaning I had to ask after 1 week to have bed changed floor was not swept in all 11 days a sponge was under hand basin from other occupants still there after 11 days.no clean cups or glasses. we hung towels up everyday but they were still changed, Great Breakfast

Room Tip: Don't get Heritage area very old We have travelled the world but don't think we have had as...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin T

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Queensland
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Well it is budget accommodation, we had a room with a bathroom, good size room, clean, but in need of renovation. We had air-con in room did not hear any noise from outside. Breakfast is good cereals, eggs, toast, juice, tea & coffee. Staff we found helpful and friendly. Location very central. Hotel has a small swimming pool. The thing I liked best about the Hides was its old fashion balcony where you can sit and watch the world go by or somewhere to eat your takeaway meal with a couple of beers. Ok for a couple of nights.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Simcart
Hollywood, FL
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Yes, this is a quirky, old hotel. I chose to stay here the night before a 5:30 am flight to Brisbane (I was in Port Douglas, an hour away). It has an excellent location, near so many restaurants, bars, etc. I did not have much time to explore, but did walk to the Red Ochre restaurant for dinner after I checked in. There was a major rugby game that night, so bars were packed and the streets were full of activity. The hotel was absolutely fine for a night, and really I could have stayed here for a few days given the excellent location. You get what you pay for, of course, so there are no frills, but a reasonable bed and bathroom for the price. Did anyone else think about the movie the Shining when walking the halls????

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I stayed at Hides Hotel by myself for 2nights (Thurs and Sun nights) in their basic room with bathroom. Reception was friendly and helpful. Hotel is quite old but has been semi-renovated so it still has that old world feel, yet is clean and functional. Breakfast included toast, cereals, boiled eggs juice cordial and coffee. Only negative was group of local men singing until 7am Fri morning outside my window (I was on third floor.) Windows are not that soundproof, but I slept like a baby so I only noticed this when I awoke to leave at 6.30am. It's around a 3star hotel, so don't expect more than a clean, centrally located, practical, cheap hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms are quieter away from the main balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Rippa99
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed here for 6 days and found my stay enjoyable, The breakfast was very good, The reception staff were very helpful, My room was basic and clean which is all I needed, The location is superb everything that I wanted was within walking distance, As for the noise factor that everyone complains about in previous reviews of this Hotel well I did not here any noise in my stay here, besides 1 bloke yelling at someone late at night outside the Hotel which is to be expected as it was on a Saturday night.. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that stays in Cairns !!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Traveller69692013
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My husband and I would not recommend this hotel. Of particular concern was that the poor sound proofing meant that we barely slept a wink - it was so noisy outside and there was no escape from this racket. Our room was reasonably clean but very rundown with worn and torn bedding and towels and the hallway was grimy and stale smelling. On the other hand it was good to have secure parking provided close by. The whole place needs a serious makeover as in its current state it offers poor value for money and a generally unpleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple