“Didn't get a chance to sample the food” 1 of 5 bubbles

Mex Level
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
“Didn't get a chance to sample the food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

On a recent trip to cairns I decided to visit mex level based on reviews and coming from a mexican background I was looking forward to fresh mexican as opposed to the usual deep fried food. We arrived at 1100am half an hour after opening no staff member was present as I looked at the menu with my kids. As I waited a staff member did walk out of the kitchen but only to set a tray of food out. As kids sat down I waited patiently to order. Another staff member walked out with another tray but did not acknowledge me in any way. As I continued to wait two women arrived stood in the door way of the kitchen and started having a conversation with the staff. I could see one staff member chopping tomatoes and tried to make eye contact. Finally I gave up and simply walked out. Im normally not impatient especially if I can see its busy and staff are run off thier feet, however in this case there were no other customers and no one even greeted us or explained why I was left waiting. A simple hello ill be with you shortly would have sufficed. Very disappointing.

1 Thank Patricia B

Cairns, Australia
“Good food, service meh, bit pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Service was a mix bag, one guy who served my mates was cool and friendly. The other bloke who served me, was quite the opposite. I was asked in a rather annoyed/impatient tone if I was ordering (the place was empty). Rushed me with my choices and had a very stern look on his face the entire time. Had a bad day perhaps?

However the food itself was pretty good, quite tasty, though the price is a bit steep for what you get in terms of portion size and there are a lot of extras. I'd say some of which should be included with the order, so you'll end up paying an extra dollar or two if you don't want just a bare bones mexican feed.

On the plus side they do have free jalapeños that you just pick up and add yourself if you like the hot stuff.

I'll give them another go, but a little underwhelmed so far.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
“YUM!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

I have been to Mex Level several times & am never disappointed with the food or service. There is a huge variety to choose from & is always cooked to perfection. I have not had Mexican food like this anywhere else in Australia, I would say it definitely is the closest you will experience without having to go to Mexico/USA. Keep up the work boys, you are obviously doing something right!!

Cairns, Australia
“Exceptional food & professional, friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

Friendly positive staff, my partner and I were greeted with smiles and a 'happy to serve customers' kind of attitude. The food was exquisite, perfect temperature and nothing overcooked. This restaurant is a local gem, the space is uncomplicated, we will definately be going back to Mex Level.

Cairns Region, Australia
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

I honestly couldn't fault mex level, I don't understand where these poor reviews have come from. My only thought was they might be competing businesses. If you haven't been there get down there and experience it yourself.

3 Thank Stringbeanus