“Super location but rooms not so great”
Review of Mantra Trilogy

Mantra Trilogy
Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Toronto, Ontario
“Super location but rooms not so great”
Reviewed 23 December 2012

I picked Mantra Trilogy for its location and the ensuite laundry again. We had a one bedroom apartment that overlooked the harbour as well as the pool. Right downstairs were shops, a small supermarket, cafes and restaurants. It was also a short walk to the Cairns Night Market and the Marina. Right across from the hotel was the salt water lagoon pool operated by the city.

Can't beat the location, but there's one big problem - even though the buildings were a few years old, there was a mouldy smell, probably because of its proximity to the sea and it had carpeting instead of ceramic tiles. I was allergic to the mould and my sinus was all plugged up while I stayed there. I couldn't get a single night's good sleep.

Next time I would make sure I pick a hotel with ceramic floor if it's oceanfront.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank isimpo
EAM-Trilogy, Manager at Mantra Trilogy, responded to this review, 23 January 2013
Dear isimpo,
thank you for your recent feedback.
It is nice to know that you have enjoyed your vacation in Australia.
Small build up of moisture in the towers ventilation system is most of the time cause for the musty smell.
Some new products are being tested at present to combat this issue. This also includes a temperature standard for all our units as we have found some moisture build up on the carpets due to the fact that the air conditioner in the unit below was set to a lower temperature or switched off.
My sincere apologies if some of it may have caused the sinus problems you experienced during your stay in Cairns.
We are looking forward to welcoming back to Mantra Trilogy next time.

Yours Sincerely,
Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I stayed there for 3 nights in November 2012. We stayed in the two bed room unite with full kitchen. Rooms were very spacious. We had two full bathrooms and a big refrigerature. The hotel was centrally located with lots of restaurants. We also had a washer and a dryer inside which was very convenient. Pool was small but never got crowded. Highly recommended for family with children.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
EAM-Trilogy, Manager at Mantra Trilogy, responded to this review, 25 December 2012
Dear Newbees,

Thank you so much for your review. It is great to know that you have enjoyed the hospitality of Mantra Trilogy during your recent visit to Cairns.

We are looking forward to welcoming you and your family again soon.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We are staying at Mantra Trilogy for 4 nights, Mon-Fri & have the dual key room. It's ideal for us, travelling with 2 adults, nana & 2 children. Hotel room has 2 single beds,lounge/ dining kitchen area has a fold up trundle & main bedroom has a queen which is perfect! Our bathroom also has washing machine. I had read reviews so requested a swim out room on level 3 which was granted (They couldn't gaureentee it) but it is awesome. Open glass sliding doors to patio overlooking the pool! Room 9&10, Tower 2, level 3. The standard is modern & clean with ample room. Good parking and hotel is very central with restaurants directly underneath. Hotel is also situated on the esplanade. Air con plus ceiling fans. Room not serviced daily but reception happy to replenish towels etc. Good value for money. Will book again for work & play.

Room Tip: Dual room perfect for families, great pool
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
EAM-Trilogy, Manager at Mantra Trilogy, responded to this review, 16 December 2012
Dear Renee,

Thank you for reviewing Mantra Trilogy after your recent stay and i thank you for your kind comments.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to Cairns in the near future.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 3 December 2012

before I begin with the mishaps I went through with this hotel, I have to say firstly, that the reception staff, particularly Amber and Thalia were exceptional. I was travelling for the first time on my own and chose the Mantra Trilogy because the price was reasonable and the pictures of the rooms looked decent. When I arrived at the hotel I was booked in tower 2 of the 3 towers. When I entered the foyer, it has a really bad, strong, mouldy smell. I entered my room and was disgusted with it. The walls were filthy and cracked on the side, it was also the tiniest hotel room I had been in. The worst thing about it was the horrible smell, and when I sat on the bed to chat on the phone to a friend, I was itchy. Obviously the bed has bed bugs. I spoke to the manager and he said there were no rooms and would clear the room of its smell with some sort of machine. When I returned from my walk, he said he couldn't smell anything, and sent another reception staff up, who said it did smell and it was awful. He then booked me a room in tower 3. The new room still smelt horrible with mould but I was upgraded to an apartment room, which was huge. I spent two nights in that room, itchy from bed bugs, and even the couch was infested. There was no covering for the bathroom window, so everyone could see you. There were stains distributed all over the carpet throughout the apartment, the big coffee and tea case was half empty, the from door of the microwave was half falling apart, the list goes on!!! Still, the worst thing about this hotel is the smell. I spoke to a couple of women walking out from the reception and asked them what their room was like, and they said it was really good. They were in tower 1, so I asked another manager if I could get a room in tower 1 or if I can stay at the Mantra on the esplanade, and he then booked me a room in tower 1. I stayed in tower 1 for two nights, and it was fantastic! No smell, nothing broken, no stains, it made the rest of my stay so much more enjoyable. So if you do decide to book into this hotel, stay in tower 1!Also take note that these rooms are not serviced, I was unaware of that when I booked.

Room Tip: Pick tower 1
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank christine g
Dear Christine,

Thank you for your kind comments towards our staff and I am glad the service you received was exceptional and I will forward that mention to Amber and Tahlia. As I personally spoke to you on your move over to tower 1 and on your departure I am very saddened by your comments and apologise you had to be moved from the two towers. I am glad the upgrade to the one bedroom apartment in tower 1 was to your satisfaction. Upon your report to myself before moving to tower 1 of you being itchy and your comments of there may have been bed bugs in the room I immediately sent our executive and housekeeping manager to the unit in question and following the investigation procedure there was absolutely no Bed Bugs activity found in the unit. Since your departure from tower 2/3 we have placed the ozone machine to the unit to combat any odours which was mentioned to you by one of our other duty managers and I can confirm to you the unit has been let to other travelling guest with no further reports being received. Your comments were forwarded to our maintenance depart and microwave strip was repaired, I have also put forward to the house keeping department to have the carpets cleaned.

Once again please accept my sincerest apologies and I invite you to contact me directly regarding your post.

Duty Manager

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

UK
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Initially booked two nights online (via Wotif), but after going to reception on the day we were checking in and seeing what a good base it would be, we decided to extend another 4 nights. Although they couldn't match the price we had paid for the previous two nights, they did do 4 nights for the price of 3. We had a hotel room on the 5th floor. We were a bit suprised about there being no housekeeping (unless you paid extra) but in practiose it wasn't too bad - you collected new towels and toiletries from reception, emptied your own bin etc...

Excellent location, right in the centre, though not at all noisy. Depending on the exit you used you were either right on the Esplanade, or a block away. BWS (Beer Wine & Spirits shop - you can't buy alcohol at the supermarket) was a couple of minutes away and the Woolworths supermarket was two blocks down. There was a chemist (Chemart?) a block away on the same street, with very knowledgable & helpful staff. Chemist offered good value underwater camera ($19) and developping our photos (about $15 including a disk - we'd had a quote of $25 from another shop nearer the Esplanade!)

Receptionists were friendly and helpful and were there 24 hours.

Three days into our stay one of the two lifts broke, and it was still out of use when we left. It didn't affect us too much and the wait wasn't excessively long each time, but I was conscious that there didn't seem to be an accessible staircase we could use instead, except the emergency one, which if I remember righly said on the access door on our floor that was alarmed (no idea how to get access to any stairs from reception). From speaking to regular guests, this problem with the lifts is unfortunately a reoccuring one and not a one-off.

Pool and sunbathing area on level 3 were very pleasant.

In summary, we would definitely recommend this hotel, and would come back ourselves especially if we could get a reasonable deal online.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 12394
Thank you so much for your review. I am happy to read we were able to extend your stay with us and accommodate you for the extra 4 nights and It is great to know that you have enjoyed the hospitality of Mantra Trilogy and Cairns during your recent visit to Australia.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon and I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that all our lifts at Trilogy are now fully functional with Tower 1 guest Lifts having completed upgrads

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 November 2012

This hotel/apartment is in a great location. Walking distance to great restaurants and cafe. Room are well appointed. Only issue is car parking, however just as easy to
Park on the street. Also the room we had wasn't serviced .

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jasmineo84
EAM-Trilogy, Manager at Mantra Trilogy, responded to this review, 28 November 2012
Dear Jasmineo84,

Thank you so much for your posting. We really appreciate your comments. We do have limited spacing for car parking here at Mantra Trilogy and in addition to we are fortunately blessed to have free of charge street parking available. I am glad you read that you had no issues parking on the street.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mantra Trilogy in the near future.

New York, NY
Reviewed 11 November 2012

We stayed in 2 bedroom room for 3 nights; liked the size of room; view, kitchen, bathrooms and hotel swimming pool. people at the front desk were also helpful. they helped us with power adapters and questions regarding local attractions.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Dear SaikapianTraveller,

Thank you so much for your kind review. It is great to know that you have enjoyed the hospitality of Mantra Trilogy and Cairns during your recent visit to Australia.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.