“Terrible end to a holiday.”
Review of Mantra Trilogy

Ranked #24 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This was to be a relaxing 3 day short stay to explore what Cairns has to offer. We spent a bit of time on the net looking for accommodation which was close to restaurants and the beach. We hoped that a 4 star hotel would provide the level of comfort and service we were used to. We chose the Mantra Trilogy.
We arrived mid afternoon and were met by a very unpleasant smell at the front of the Hotel. At that stage we were unsure of the source.
Check-in was easy and staff were friendly.
First impressions of the room were "okay", what we thought was a King size bed soon showed to be two beds pushed together with a definite joining of the two. The room appeared as though there had been a quick attempt to clean but we found dust and dirt around nooks and crannies, it looked as though it had been wet dusted with a dirty cloth. Being reasonable well traveled it still wasn't too great an issue.
On opening the balcony door we were soon to discover where the unpleasant smell came from. Directly across the road there are a number of trees with a large number of bats (hard to estimate but there were thousands). The smell was disgusting and the noise was an unrelenting squeal and screech. Even with the door closed there was still a lingering smell throughout the room and the corridors. The underground car park was worse.
The bed ended up being not too bad, standard Hotel firm is how I would describe it. But the Bats!!!!! In the early evening they take flight and seem to flap around the area like literally a scene out of Alfred Hitchcocks "The Birds". Very unnerving walking the area without an umbrella.
Night 2 was a bit warm so we used the air conditioner. Initially I thought it was good because it drowned out the noise of the bats, it was very loud, too loud and we ended up settling on the bats.
It was on day 3 that we found that we could escape the Hotel and avoid the most of the smell by exiting via the pool. Had we known of this on day one we would have avoided some of the angst although there is no way to completely avoid the stench.
Interestingly I googled the bat problem and a local site actually described it as a Tourist Attraction???? I spoke to a number of tourists over the 3 days and not one of them saw the bats as a plus.
There is no servicing of the room however we were informed we could collect towels etc from reception.
Get rid of the bats and fix the air conditioning and maybe I will visit again, until then I am staying out of Cairns and definitely staying away from Mantra Trilogy.

Room Tip: If you do choose to stay here then get a room on the East side of the hotel and only exit on that si...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David H
Rupert H, Executive Assitant Manager at Mantra Trilogy, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear David H,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am sorry you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay, although I am happy to hear that our reception staff gave you their usual friendly and efficient service.

I regret the shortcomings in service you have reported from housekeeping, and our Executive Housekeeper will certainly address this with her Team Members.

The bats that you are referring to are fruit bats, or flying foxes as they are known in Australia. The colony that is located on the block opposite the hotel is protected under State and Federal law and we are unable to interfere with them in any way. As mentioned before, the Council is under pressure to move them on.

We hope you had a good trip home and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Regards

Reviewed 10 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at Mantra Trilogy at the suggestion of a Flight Center agent. The location t said, is right in front of the Esplanade. On the map, it looks like you are right across from it, but in actuality, the entrance is not facing the Esplanade. Just a heads up.

Pros:
Nice view - We were in room 509B. It had a pool view and a partial view of the ocean.

Free use of computer : This came in handy when I wanted to check in and print my boarding pass. There is only one computer there though.

Free parking - First come first served. You will not be guaranteed a space though.

Good water pressure: Yes, I notice these things.

Cons:

Two beds are not better than one - I confirmed with the Flight Center agent and the front desk personnel that the bed is a double/queen. This is our first anniversary after all. The bed we were given are two single beds pushed together. :(

No housekeeping - We were told at the front desk that there will be no housekeeping. Not a big deal to us as we can still get fresh towels at the front desk. Yup, they won't be able to bring it to your room. You need to go down and get if from the front desk. This is more of an observation than a con. But since some websites rate this as a 4 to a 4.5 star, it didn't make sense that they couldn't even bring towels to your room. That's all.

Bats - Right across the hotel are 3 huge trees that house hundreds of bats. If you find bats creepy, you need to not book here. They make loud shrieking noises all day. Yup, I also though they were supposed to sleep during the day time, meaning quietly napping right? But nope, they are loudly hanging out all day. And don't try to walk under those trees if you don't want bat-urine eau de toilette on you - based on personal experience.

Refrigerator that sounds like the engine of a boat - Our flight was 6am, I wanted to get some zzz's that afternoon. The mini kicks up a loud vibration every 5 minutes or so. So when I start drifting off, I get a rude awakening. Hence I did not get any sleep that afternoon. I come down to ask if there's anything they can do about it. I spoke to Dennis, he went up there, moved the bottles inside away from the sides, and said that if it still made that noise, maybe I should just unplug it. That was the best option he gave us. I've nothing against Dennis though as he explained that they don't have any extra refrigerators, and no extra staff to help find out what's wrong with it either. Not sure if he could've suggested for us to move to another room but he kept saying we should unplug. I don't think we deserve to not have a working refrigerator. Good thing my husband figured we can turn the thermostat to 1. That way it doesn't get loud, and still enjoy our semi-cold beers.

Furniture and fixtures need updating. - The shower is facing a bit to the right and cannot be adjusted. The arms of the chair in the room is broken and the paint has worn off. Bits and pieces that could use some paint...etc.

Bottom line: We are not fussy travelers and we didn't even complain to the staff about the bed. But the fact that they expected us to not use the refrigerator?! This is definitely NOT A 4 STAR hotel. It should be explained on the brochures/websites - NO HOUSEKEEPING. Just so people won't expect.

Room Tip: Pool view ain't bad.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank R0gue13
Rupert H, Executive Assistant Manger at Mantra Trilogy, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear R0gue13,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We are glad you enjoyed the views from your room and the great central location of the hotel.

I regret the issues you have reported with regards to maintenance. This is not up to our usual standard and I apologise for any disappointment you experienced during your stay. It may not have been possible to offer you a room move due to the high occupancies assiociated with the Chinese New Year. The issues you have raised with your room have now been addressed.

Our housekeeping policy is explained on all of our literature and on all booking confirmations issued by the hotel.

Unfortunately, the bat bat colony that you refer to on the block opposite from the hotel are protected under State and Federal law. There has been mounting pressure on the Council to move the colony on, and the decision to do so rests in their hands.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mantra Trilogy again soon and to ensure that your future stays with us are enjoyable.

Regards,

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We were so disappointed with this hotel. Online the pictures looked great, and we read lots of reviews before booking. We are not fussy travelers, but when we pay above average rates for a 'four star' hotel we did have high expectations.

PROS
- Excellent location, right beside restaurants, the harbor and the public man-made beach/pool
- The pool is pretty big but a lot of the area is shaded if you were hoping to sunbathe

CONS
- The room smelt really bad of damp and mould, so bad that when I woke in the middle of the night it was the first thing I could smell
- The rooms are tiny
- BATS! Right opposite the hotel are four - five trees completely filled with bats, we could not believe it, we thought bats sleep during the day but no, they are there all day every day, making the loudest screeching noise ever and crapping all over the place. They do leave for a while every evening, but are back without fail around 5.30am. Our room was pretty far away from them in the third tower, but in the silence of the middle of the night//early morning we could clearly hear them, light sleepers should definitely not stay here.
- We were vacationing with family and they were in another tower. The 3 towers are completely unconnected, and the key cards for one tower do not work for another, so if they wanted to come to our room, we had to go down the lift and let them in.
- The key cards are needed for everything, to get into your tower, to use the lift, to open the two doors into the bedroom, we had to get 3 replacements in our time there, very frustrating after coming back from long day trips for it to work in the lift then when you get to the room it doesnt, so you have to go the whole way back down to reception again.
- We were only in Cairns for 3 nights, and thought that room service had forgotten to clean our room after night one, when the same thing happened after the second night, we called down only to be told we had to get our replacement towels and toilet roll at reception. You would think this is something that would have been clearly explained and detailed at check in. of course not!!!
- No wifi

I really wish I had more good things to say about this hotel, but unfortunately I can only be honest. There are many other hotel options in Cairns so I would recommend trying ANY of them, even if you have to pay slightly more. This was a once in a lifetime trip to Cairns for me, and unfortunately the Mantra Trilogy Resort just did not come up to scratch.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
3  Thank pmal08
Rupert H, Executive Assistant Manager at Mantra Trilogy, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear pmal08,

Thank you for your review.

We will be addressing the issues you have raised during your stay over which we have control.

Our key card system is there to provide our guests with security and peace of mind while they stay with us. It is designed so that only people who are staying with us have access to their floor and room. The keycards are magnetically coded and as such can be susceptible to magnetic fields, just as a credit card or a bank card is.

We will ALWAYS make every effort to place families together unless we are unaware that a group is travelling together, as may happen when the surname is different and a specific request has not been forwarded to us from the agent.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Great room, great location only the TV let it down. Foxtel stations came through thick and fast but Freeview stations only occasionally. OK you don't go to Cairns to watch TV but...it was the rainy season and rain in the tropics is VERY wet to walk around in. It's near beach, dining and shops. Its clean efficient and has a gym and outside swimming pool. Nice three days.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Rupert H, Manager at Mantra Trilogy, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear B4its2late8,

Thank you for your review.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and have a great holiday considering the recent weather.

Thank you for your patience with our TV channels. The issues with the local channels have now been resloved.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly for any future reservations. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mantra Trilogy again soon.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

My husband and I usually stay at Harbour Lights, the Sebel or the Hilton whilst in Cairns, however could not secure a booking on short notice due to Chinese New Year, and so thought we would give this property a try as the location was great….. that is where it ends.

For just over $200 for the night, we were appointed a room with a lovely outlook of the esplanade. … The bed was a complete joke with pillows as thin as it gets and a lovely bar running down the centre of the bed from where the two singles were joined, and upon entering the room we saw a sign placed on top of an overturned clean ashtray indicating that our room had been made up as a non smoking room ….. only problem with this is that the these rooms are dual entry, so you open one door only to enter a small alcove with two more doors… and clearly the people in the room beside us were chain smokers for as soon as we opened the door the cigarette smoke smell was savage, and our room was pungent.

Of course we contacted management who did the right thing and moved us to a different room….. only to be confronted with two single beds, and a new pungent smell of mould…. started the air conditioning, which only pumped the stink in more.

Upon inspection of the bathroom, there were hairs around the toilet bowl, mould growing in the grouting of the white tiles (real good look), there was water in the shower and on the floor and some had splashed onto the toilet seat….. a blanket was bunched up in a ball and placed at the top of a cupboard as well... made me think that someone had vacated the room in a bit of a hurry and it wasn't even cleaned properly…. maybe a duty manager's room?

We won't be staying there again… ever… and won't recommend.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here unless all the good places are booked out!
3  Thank MissionBeachLocal

Dear MissionBeachLocal,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I recently stayed here with my wife and two boys. We had a two bedroom suite, which was perfect for what we needed. Full kitchen, balcony, and a generally comfortable room. The location is perfect, right near the esplanade and within walking distance of restaurants, the lagoon, and many others. We visited those pool twice, was a little cold but had a area the kids could play in. This place has gone one our short list of places to stay when we go to town.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear matt_the_og,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.

We are very happy to hear you had a great holiday and we were able to provide you with a memorable holiday.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed for the first time at the Mantra Trilogy in Cairns and we highly recommend the resort to anyone wanting to stay in Cairns. We found the staff very friendly and helpful and we were well looked after. Our 2 bedroom unit was clean and tidy and as we were there for 10 days, it was serviced during the week as well. It is handy to shops, restaurants and nice walks along the waterfront.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anne-Marie4568

Dear Anne-Marie4568

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate you taking the time tell us about your experience.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back next year.