“Wacky, but wonderful!”

Kimchi & Richy
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My husband and I discovered this restaurant when we went looking for somewhere a little bit different to eat.

Never having been to a Korean BBQ restaurant before, we didn't really know what to expect. We were led to a table and the BBQ was lit for us. The menu offered a range of different BBQ options and we chose a couple that looked fairly "safe" to our uninitiated Aussie palates. Although it was difficult to fully understand the waitresses, they were certainly polite and the service was generally very good.

The raw meats arrived and we were presented with tongs and scissors. The scissors were a bit puzzling at first but we looked around at all the Korean backpackers who were eating there, and we copied what they did by cutting the meat into smaller pieces once it was cooked. The little BBQ was lots of fun and the food was really interesting and delicious.

We found out that "kimchi" is the radish and cabbage salad that accompanies the meat and "Richy" from the restaurant's name is actually the name of the owner. Quirky!

A great little find, good value, different and entertaining too!

2  Thank My0la

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I had dinner here with 3 friends. We all enjoyed our meal. The atmosphere was nice. It was reasonably busy.
This is a fun way to eat. we had the Korean BBQ option 3. The staff all appear to be Korean and we did have trouble understanding and communicating with the staff.
Overall it was a great experience and we would all return here.

1  Thank Glenn_Wadsworth
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My friends and I very much enjoyed last night’s dinner ‘experience. The restaurant itself is very cozy and has a nice outdoor presentation (much better than the photographs indicate). The staff doesn’t speak English very well and we didn’t quite understand what we are ordering or what it comes with but we didn’t mind.

The dumplings as a starter where the highlight for me! Great value and very good flavours. Will definitely come back for more of those!
We decided to go for something fun and had the BBQ combo set for 3-4 persons. The menu description is very different to what you get. So if you are expecting to get BBQ’d meat in thick marinade, think again. It’s good fun. They light the gas cooking plate which is integrated in your table and you cook the meat yourself. The flavours of the meats are very nice (the lamb cutlets were nicely marinated in a lemon grass etc). You receive a number of accompaniments that work well and will take your tastebuds on a little ride. Only thing I was missing was salt.
You can also select from the ‘all you can eat’ salad bar which offers fresh salads and the best pasta salad I’ve experience in Cairns.

So all in all, a good night out with a different twist. I will come back 

1  Thank zullli
Reviewed 3 November 2013

After living in Korea for two years, learning to speak the language and truly enjoying Koreans and their culture, I have to say I was a bit disappointed in this Korean restaurant in Cairns.

We both ordered bi bim bap. I don't know if the cuisine has been softened or changed to accomodate Australians, but it was cooked 'dol sot', which means hot pot. It comes sizzling in a frighteningly hot cast iron pot, which, while it keeps everything scorchingly hot, also negates the original aim of bi bim bap.m bap is a meal consisting of steamed rice, spinach, a little radish kimchi, beef (or, these days, spice pork or chicken), bean sprouts, bracken fern, all topped with a fried egg. One is supposed to mix it all up and the combination of tastes and textures makes traditional bi bim bap THE signature meal of Korean cuisine.

In this case the cast iron kept the food so very hot that one couldn't savor the mingling of tastes.

I also ordered 'man du'. Man du is almost the same thing as pot stickers or dumplings, and these were, while perfectly cooked, had been deep fat fried, which again, changed the taste I've learned to love. They were crispy, without a hint of grease, and the dipping sauce was perfect.

Call me old fashioned in my delight in Korean cuisine, but this restaurant's fare left me a bit disappointed....but not hungry. I couldn't finish it. The portions were ample and filling. Their kimchi is excellent, but in this case, there wasn't enough for two of us.

Otherwise, the service was excellent, the food good and filling, the restaurant itself clean and offering both inside and outside tables. Go if you are really missing a Korean meal, but don't expect Seoul.

1  Thank SeattleMeadowlark
Reviewed 13 October 2013

If you are after a cheap, delicious and fun meal EAT HERE.

I have been here twice and both times I have been very pleased.

Firstly the outside seating area is great for the BBQ option. You get your own little grill in the middle of the table and access to the salad bar. There are service buttons on the table so you can be sure you are never forgotten.

Both times I've been there I've chosen the BBQ option. When you do this the waitress brings out all these exciting side dishes- bean salads, corn salad, kimchi, pickles, cabbage salad! You also get to eat from the salad bar which has some extra vegetables for you to grill- onions, sweet potato etc. There is also an apple salad that I would recommend to anyone who needs some help with the spicy food.

Both times my partner and I have only ordered 2 plates of meat and that is enough to fill us up. I would highly recommend the Korean Gyoza/dumplings in the sweet chilli sauce- really awesome. Usually we end up play around $50 for the both of us

One word or caution- the chilli and ginger marinated pork is the single most spicy food I have ever had in my mouth. The waitresses took pity on us and replaced it for a non marinated version. I'm not too bad with spicy food- but this was a whole new level.

3  Thank CairnsFoodie101
Jung Woo L, Manager at Kimchi & Richy, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2015

Thank you for writing the review.
We are really happy to hear your feedback.