“Best New Years!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gilligans Backpackers Hotel & Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Gilligans Backpackers Hotel & Resort
Ranked #13 of 89 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
Melbourne, Australia
“Best New Years!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

2 Friends from NZ met us here over new years and we spent a week at Gilligan. Was meant to be only a few nights but as soon as we left we wanted to go back - so we did!
Great atmosphere with the bar downstairs, booking tours and dives at the travel agent downstairs was a breeze - highly recommended for people keen to have some fun!
Clean and great kitchen facilities. Amazing pool!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ruth B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Littleborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Perfect backpacking experience. You will not stay here without making new friends. I know it's not the cheapest of hostels but it really is worth it! I've saved a couple of dollas and stayed in one down the road but it simply wasn't as fun. Just book in and enjoy! Plus you have to pay to get in the bar at night if you don't stay here and you will 100% end up here!!
By the way.... has anyone noticed what shape the swimming pool is?

I would recommend for friends, young couples and backpackers. It is a hostel... even though a fancy one at that. So expect noise.

Oh and the cleaners LOVE to clean at about 4am.... no problem though, everyones lovely and sociable!!

Room Tip: I would recommend for friends, young couples and backpackers. It is a hostel... even though a fancy...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Had a bit of trouble loading our photographs onto facebook before our time ran out on the computer, but thankfully Josh, from reception, came to our rescue! He was so helpful and tried everything he could to recover our photos which he successfully did!!!
MASSIVE THANK YOU TO HIM!!! So refreshing to find such helpful and polite staff.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Grace T
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Gilligans Hostel is fantastic, has something for everyone, loved the new clean facilities, cheap dinner in the evenings Club & Bar open to the small hours suits everyone, for those who want to party for of couple of hours or take it into the early morning.
Arrived at the Hostel and was checked in by Josh - so welcoming and friendly with a smile continously on his face! Helped us out when we needed anything, always obliging. He suits his role.
if only everyone could be as nice as he was. We were all in 107 and everyone thought he was Top of the Pops!! Out of all the staff Josh would remember us when we arrived at reception and really did go out of his way to help, making our stay even more enjoyable.
Highly reccomend staying at Gilligans!

Room Tip: Sharing is Caring! Great way to meet new people - definately recommend this, if its not for you then...
1 Thank caroline m
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed here for 9 nights and it was an awesome experience! It is a hostel so dont expect 5 star service but the people you meet while you are there makes it worthwhile. Having the pub/club downstairs is very helpful. Give it a go!

Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

So i wanted to extend my stay here as it it theeeeee best place EVER...anyway I was supposed to check out on the monday and I wanted to stay til the Wed. I wanted to stay in the same room but when I went down I was told that I couldn't do this.So they told me I had to change room-which was so endless for the sake of 2 days... but later on I asked a different guy if I could stay in the room. He then sorted it all out for me and I didn't have to change rooms. He went the extra mile to ensure that I was happy and enjoying my stay. That night I lost my phone and he again went the extra mile helping me to try and find it. HE is a Legend!!! Jossssshh from reception. 'You may take our lives...but you'll never take out Freeeeedom'!!! Thanks for all your help mate. :)

Noosa, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Fantastic hostel, very good for meeting people. I arranged some very good tours through the reception. A very clean hostel, rooms and bathrooms washed every day which was very well done. Ideal location, being above one of the best clubs in town and just a short walk to the lagoon

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo