“Adequate hotel correct price”

Cairns City Sheridan
Ranked #61 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Brussels
“Adequate hotel correct price”
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We arrived at the airport in the late afternoon and we used the shuttle to reach the hotel.
As the shuttle do several stops, depending on the hotels the other people are staying, the way to the hotel is not direct, anyway you lost just 5-10 minutes.
At the hotel even though in the reservation we asked for a twin room (two men) when we open the door we discovered we were given a double bed room. So we went downstairs again in order to have a twin room.
The hotel is adequate but far from being cosy.
The distance from the centre is about 2 km. and the price is correct for what we received.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sandy, Utah
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I must admit, I was concerned when I read all the negative reviews of this property a couple of days before we were to arrive. When I booked the room for 4 nights it had a favorable rating, so I wondered what had happened in the interim. Happily I am able to report nothing! We were initially given a room on the third floor, but since there is no elevator, I requested a lower room, and was given one immediately. The room was spacious, clean and the bed was very comfortable. Yes, the fixtures in the room are dated, but were not disgusting as some have described it. I am quite particular with the quality of the hotels we visit and this one was fine. The only negative I have is the cleaning lady wasn't consistent with leaving shampoo, soap and towels. But the room was always clean. No, it isn't a 5 star property, but it doesn't advertise itself as one. The free wifi is great, and has good speed. Front desk staff were always willing to help and offer suggestions for activities. I would stay here again if I am fortunate enough to return to Cairns again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 March 2013

The location is about a 15 minute walk from the Esplanade (if you don't have your own car). It's not situated in a great neighborhood.

The room was plain and very dated. There was only a sheer curtain covering the sliding door (people could see in if they wanted to). There's stairs to get to the 2nd and 3rd floors (no elevator).

I'm glad I only stayed one night. One good thing is that this hotel offered free wi-fi, which is hard to come by in Cairns.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kristina C

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We stayed 4 nights in this hovel. The website is totally mis-leading. The four star rating is probably given by a novice fiction writer!
Where to start? The location on the southern edge of North Cairns. So any sojorn into the CBD or onto the Esplanade requires a significant walk (if you don't have your own car). The area is less that salubrious, on the first night I listened to a couple having a domestic in the street for over half an hour!
The room was plain awful. Dirty and dated, the bathroom was pokey, the hot water tap was so stiff, as to be unusable. Door frame was rusted at the bottom. The room itself was infested with ants and other bugs, the ceiling was dirty and marked. None of the flat surfaces were cleaned or dusted either on our arrival or at any-time during our stay.
When my wife retrieved some dropped coins from under the bed, she got more than she bargained for, in the form of a half-smoked cigarette, a dirty tissue, and some kind of round white tablet....and there they stayed for the entire four nights...
The mattress was stained and smelly. The mattress "protector" was old, worn and similarly stained.
The air con unit was condemned from the Ark, and whenever we turned it on, it was so loud we had to turn up the TV, and conversations were conducted at a yell!
And the TV line-up, well, the advertised pay TV consisted of a cartoon channel, 3 movie channels - one of which was frozen on the same scene for the whole time, and another of which refused to come on -
The kicker came when we opened a drawer and found therin an invoice left by a previous guest,.......in August, 2000!!!!!!! That was the date on the invoice.
When we asked for ice (as advised to do so in the guest information) we were told that the ice machine was broken but we could buy some from the serice station down the road.
Also, when we asked the opening times of the restaurant, we were advised it was closed becauses was one of the reasons we booked in the first place! They could have told us at the time of booking!
And when we went to complain, the manager was not available.
Take our advice, stay away..

Room Tip: Try another hotel..
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CindyandMichaelO
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Booked a 2 night stay in the family room and informed the staff that I was going to be checking in late. On arrival my key was in the reception safe as expected. Carried our luggage and 2 kids up to the 3rd level to find someone else in our room. Rang the manager and all he could say was there's other motels in the city with night managers and I could try them to see if they've got any vacancies. I asked him if he could hook me up for the night through his contacts since they're part of a large chain of motels and his response was, "Mate, it's midnight and I can't do anything". I managed to find a room down the road and explained to them what had happened, and their response was, "It happens all the time". Thanks buddy for ur help. Told all my mates about your awesome service and I hope no one else makes the same mistake in dealing with this crap. They offered me the 2nd night for free which I accepted but first impressions were horrendous!!

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank Samso83
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I havnt actually stayed at this hotel because they cancelled my booking and gave it to someone else. I booked my double room 3 weeks in advance via telephone. 3 days before i was due to stay i had a call from the front desk to confirm my booking. All was good until 10 minutes later she called me back and told me that they had double booked and i would no longer be able to stay. I apparently lost my booking to somebody who booked online at the exact same time and date that i did, tho this person had not left a name or any contact details so they got priority over me. Sounds like a load of crap!!! Will never consider booking at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Krizandra
Reviewed 18 January 2013

We stayed here as an overnight, very convent location to the Airport and the esplanade. The hotel is very aged, the room very basic what you would expect in a 1/2 star motel. When we stayed here the restaurant had been closed down, however not a far walk to a few places to eat. The lady at the front dest was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Check out the Italian Restaurant just down the road from the hotel... Very good pizza
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple