“Seedy area, no amenities and dirty.”

Cairns City Sheridan
Ranked #61 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 21 April 2013

It's a good 20 minute walk through several busy interchanges to even get to the Esplanade which is the main tourist area and practically the only part of the city with restaurants. The hotel is next door to an "adult entertainment" shop and a computer gaming place. So you can well imagine the types that hang around this area. The room was filled with some type of tiny brown bug that looked like a dust mite. Also the phone was covered in dust and didn't work. There is nowhere to eat lunch or dinner around this hotel - their restaurant does nothing other than happy hour drinks and a continental breakfast (no menu - you get the $14.95 breakfast or nothing at all). The only restaurant in the area is at an even cheaper hotel down an alley about 3 blocks from this place. As a solo female traveler there was no way I was doing that at night. I ended up at a gas station down the street getting a frozen meal for the microwave and then running for my life back to the hotel after being confronted by a bunch of drunks for money. One of the worst hotels I've ever stayed at. Spend some extra money and get a place on the Esplanade, it's worth it.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank hk5201

Reviewed 18 April 2013

This hotel should be avoided by everyone. When we arrived in the evening there was no reception open. We had to call someone to unlock the safe for our keys from a phone that was working intermittantly. The room was crawling with ants and a large cockroach was in the bathroom. we killed most of the ants but when the room was serviced next day the dead ants were still there. The room our children were in also had ants in the room and what appeared to be faeces on the shower wall. The hotel states it is 5 mins from the town centre, well it is if you drive like Steve Mcqueen. The restaurant was closed, one of the reasons for staying there, but no information was given to us about that prior to our stay. Although we had booked for 3 nights we left after the first night as no way did we want to stay there any more.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Brian C
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We stayed overnight to enable us to catch an early morning flight the next day. The room was for 4 and included a Queen size bed, a single and a rollaway. It was comfortable enough considering the stay was for a limited time.
Pros: the room was clean; the floor was tiled and spotless; the receptionist was friendly; the hotel was on the road to the airport; free wifi.
Cons: our room was on the 3rd level and there was no lift so luggage had to be carried up 32 steps (although the receptionist offered to help carry it); the mini-fridge was amazingly small.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor if you have difficulty climbing stairs.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bookworm0759
Reviewed 9 April 2013

A good budget hotel for families with a nice swimming pool. The roadside noise levels are ok although the car nse may be too much for some. Unfortunately there was no elevator which was a hassle beeing on the 3rd floor with luggage for 3 months.
The shuttle service is no shuttle as some other hotels offer it , when I called in from the airport I got the number that the cabs were using that were are the airport and it is not free neither.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Achim F
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Had to spend one night close to the airport because of a 5:30 a m flight. The cab was coming at 3:45 a m. When I checked in there were no ground floor rooms available and no elevator. There was also no room available in the main building. I had two large suitcases and one carryone that I had to lug up the stairs, after dragging them to building #2. The only way to get there was outside, no inside corridor.
The room was spacious and clean, but there was a great deal of rust around the doorway into the very small bathroom. The bed was hard as a rock as were the two pillows. There was no way to plug in the electric clock by the bed. Luckily, I always carry a travel clock. My wake up call was punctual.
As luck would have it, it was pouring down rain when I had to make my way to the front where the cab was to pick me up. I'm sure I woke a few people up when I clunked my bags down the metal, outside staircase. In the rain, I made my way to the front of the motel, where I had to wait outside ( although there was an overhang) because the lobby was not open that early.
It's not that I would never stay there again if I needed a stay close to the airport again, but next time I'll know to prearrange a groundfloor room, in the main building.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times when I am arriving into Cairns quite late at night and departing again early in the morning.
Late checkin is no problem - you just pick up the phone at the front door, and someone verifies who you are, then explains how to get your room key out of the safe deposit box that is also at the front door.
In terms of facilities, this is a basic tired room with a bed. Pillows seem to have been purchased many years ago and not replaced.
I typically pay around $75 for a room here. You are provided with exactly what you're paying for - somewhere to sleep.
If you're expecting anything else, or if you're staying for longer than a single night, go elsewhere.
That said, I'll continue to use this hotel when I need somewhere safe and basic to stay overnight.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MelbVego
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We arrived at the airport in the late afternoon and we used the shuttle to reach the hotel.
As the shuttle do several stops, depending on the hotels the other people are staying, the way to the hotel is not direct, anyway you lost just 5-10 minutes.
At the hotel even though in the reservation we asked for a twin room (two men) when we open the door we discovered we were given a double bed room. So we went downstairs again in order to have a twin room.
The hotel is adequate but far from being cosy.
The distance from the centre is about 2 km. and the price is correct for what we received.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends