“A little gem of a place”

Tropical Heritage Cairns
Ranked #19 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This is a little gem of a place. It doesn't have a high profile on the street and can't be described as luxurious but it excels for quietly efficient and friendly service and comfort. We had a one bedroomed apartment for a week, with a large king size bed, comfortable relaxing furniture in the sitting room, an excellent digital TV and plenty of surfaces and cupboards. The kitchenette was very basic with just a microwave and sink but that was all we needed. The bathroom was excellent with the best shower on our trip - powerful and flexible (we've stayed in 23 hotels over the past two months going round the world). Rosemary and Cynthia were very helpful with all we needed, including lengthy discussions about the best inclusions and locations for tours. Rosemary was particularly helpful with lifts to the station etc. There was a guest laundry on our floor and a nearby small collection of books too. Disappointingly wifi was only two hours free, but cafes and the public library were useful for this. Air conditioning was quiet, with separate controls for the living room and bedroom.

The Esplanade was a couple of blocks away and a delightful walk along the seafront to the centre of town. For some reason it took us a while to orientate ourselves with this hotel as to which way we were facing, but eventually we got the hang of it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Blackcat2york
explorerCairns, Owner at Tropical Heritage Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

We appreciate the time you have taken to write a positive review on the Tropical Heritage Hotel in Cairns. We take all reviews seriously as we are always anxious to improve our services to our valued guests.
I also write on behalf of Rosemary, our Manager - she has been quite busy but I wan you to know that she reads all reviews and shares them with her fantastic staff.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

On our arrival at the Tropical Heritage my wife and I were welcomed by name and wished a happy 40th wedding anniversary by Rosemary Robertson, the manager. Just like family! And to our surprise: a room upgrade to the corner suite with two balconies - wonderful. Great location too, within easy walking distance to the Esplanade, shops, pharmacy/clinic and restaurants. We received lots of good tips on tours, the Reef and where to eat - especially the RSL. Rosemary made every effort to make us feel welcome. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and highly recommend the Tropical Heritage in Cairns.

Room Tip: The large, well-appointed corner suite was very quiet, had two balconies overlooking the side garden...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike7658

Reviewed 17 October 2013

I checked in the hotel for one night prior to taking the Savannahlander train tour. The manager, Rosemary, said it was no problem to leave my large suitcase and car at the hotel while I was on the tour (I was going to stay at the Tropical Heritage once I returned from the train trip). Rosemary kindly offered to take me to the train station early (6 am!) the next morning. When I returned from the train trip, Rosemary picked me up at the train station (note: on a map the station does not look that far away, but Cairns has long city blocks). The room was very nice, the hotel was quiet, the bed was comfortable, and the price was reasonable. Rosemary's friendliness and help made my stay at the hotel even more enjoyable.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

This hotel is a great choice not so much for whether the property itself is impressive (it is fine but basically generic) but because the manager, Rosemary Robertson, makes significant effort (where necessary) to ensure that visitors have a great trip.

I had two full days in Cairns, and before I arrived, I booked one full-day snorkeling trip to Michaelmas Cay and one full-day tour of Cape Tribulation and environs. Both of these trips were cancelled by their respective companies at the last minute. Rosemary called around to find me great replacements. The town of Cairns itself is rather dull. Without Rosemary's help, the stay in Cairns would have been a low point of my trip to Australia; because of her help, it was the highlight.

1  Thank Traveller02139
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Great place, close to everything. Rooms were old but clean and we were upgraded which was a really nice surprise.

The Manager Rosemary was absolutely delightful and so very helpful, she definitely made our stay that much more special!

Room Tip: Spa is very nice!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2013

This hotel was really good value for money. Comfortable rooms and close enough to walk to the esplanade and restaurants. The staff were very helpful and Rosemary went out of her way to make sure our stay was great including taking us to our boat for our trip to Cape York. Hope to visit again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2013

In September I spent one night and a little later two nights at this hotel. Stayed there because the trip advisor comments were so positive and found it met if not exceeded expectations. Rosemary goes out of her way to be helpful and informative and there is a very good atmosphere surrounding this hotel which is clean, comfortable and extremely convenient. I would highly recommend it.