“Wot a deal.”

Ranked #45 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Southport, Australia
“Wot a deal.”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Just had 3 nights in this fantastic hotel. I was on the $100 deal, dinner in the fabulous restaurant and very nice room thrown in for good measure. I loved the food and the presentation. I WILL go back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank naej

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Australia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Although just on the edge of the city, Hotel Cairns is quiet and peaceful. The rooms are spacious, but not opulent, but if you wait until you arrive in Cairns and go to Central Shopping Centre, you can get the best deal - $100 for a beautiful meal for two and a room for the night. The restaurant is really good, perhaps even one of the better ones in Cairns the decor, live entertainment makes this a really pleasant stay. You can even use their Smart Cars for just the cost of the insurance. And just a short stroll to the Esplanade and City Centre.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SusieLil
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This place looks like a colonial house, nice and big rooms, nice little pool... Is perfect! Also the other good thing is the restaurant , exelente service probably the best and elegant in the city where Clodio and his staff are really good and profetional; the food is great not the same menu as everywhere in town this menu is something wow! I defenetly racomand this restaurant even if you are not staying in the hotel I will come back !!!

• Stayed April 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Business Trip recently and this was recommended to me. Rooms are big, bed comfortable, bathroom sufficient. This isn't the luxury condo and it perfect for most needs. Couple of interesting things - you get an iron but no ironing board and you get a kettle and cups and a fridge but no coffee milk or sugar. Aside from that minor issue I really liked it here. Done in a typical Queenslander style with a big fan on the ceiling to help keep you cool and plantation shutters, the bath was deep and shower well designed.

There's wifi access available if you need it and an okay cardio style gym but recommend you go for a jog along the waterfront which is just a couple of minutes away. The pool is fine for a splash but not quite big enough to be doing laps in - fine for the kids I'd say

What really sold me on this though was the restaurant. I normally try and get into town for a bite but working requirements kept me closer to the room. Had probably the best pumpkin risotto I've ever had (sorry love, and that's how good it was it even beat yours); the avocado bruschetta was wonderfully different and delightful taste and the chocolate mousse thing was ridiculously good. I'd definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Ones upstairs will be warmer in winter and vice versa in summer
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank RightFuture
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I recently stayed for 3 nights at the Hotel Cairns situated in town 5 mins from the airport. Initially it looks like a motel but the privately run owners have invested in little extras that help make it more comfortable. Molton Brown toiletries, marble bathrooms and good textiles, smart cars and a clean swimming pool add to the value.

I was disappointed at the food in the Plantation restaurant with portion control and high prices making it poor value. Wine choice is basic and powdered coffee sachets really shouldn't be offered in a restaurant in 2012!

The rooms are quite small and the bar fridges noisy ( I turned mine off) and the wooden blinds don't stop early morning light or noise. Otherwise clean and pleasant for work purposes but probably not the best for holidaymakers.

Room Tip: Beware of the massive construction project on site - 0630 delivery trucks and machinery won't he...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 2010Walkabout
Silves, Portugal
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed here on 2 different occasions in March and although paid the same price for our room each time, we had one great room and one only just acceptable.

When you arrive at the hotel, it had a nice tropical feel to it with lush planting and colonial style shutters everywhere. I liked the look of it very much. Location-wise, it's good too - not far to walk to the esplanade and lots of shops - perhaps 5 minutes?

The 1st time round, we were very disappointed in our room. It was rather dusty with a very old looking bathroom. You had to have the shutters closed all the time for privacy as they had a corridor right by the window so everyone could see in. The worst aspect though was the shower which squealed terribly and must have woken up everyone around us. Oh yes, just remembered that next door got up early and decided to smoke outside our room as didn't want their smoke in their room. Not the fault of the hotel though - just thoughtless people.....but a downside of having a corridor room.

However, 2nd time round, we were given a massive room with a double bed and 2 singles. We also had our own private area out the back facing onto a courtyard. It was much cleaner, and although the bathroom did look tired, it worked much better. We were very happy with this room.

As for teas and coffees, these are provided, but were sometimes in the fridge. If not there, you asked at reception as they had an ant problem during our visit so only handed stuff out when it was required. I didn't have a problem with that at all. Also, the kettle and cups were sometimes hard to find, but were always there in the room - it was just a matter of finding the right cupboard.

Other people have commented on the A/C - we found this over efficient and always ended up turning it down.

We thought the breakfast was excellent - lots of fresh fruit. The scrambled eggs had been sitting around a bit, but all the other cooked stuff was fine. It was a lot better than a lot of other hotels we've been to over the past 3 months!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a private courtyard. Avoid the rooms with windows facing onto the corridor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2012

My boyfriend and I managed to get a good deal to stay here for one night and treat ourselves to an evening in the city where we didn't have to worry about getting a taxi home. And I must say I'm so glad we did.
The room was a decent size, nice bed and decor, tea and coffee, decent shower and bath. It was nice and peaceful even though our room was by a staircase. But I can see how people are commenting on it not being 4 star. Still, we got a good price, clean sheets, hot water and peace and quiet - everything we wanted!
We ate in the restaurant, and I must say the food was delicious and at a reasonable price. I started with duck and scallops, follow by sirloin steak and ended with the chocolate royale. I couldn't complain about a thing with dinner.
The restaurant was very pleasant feeling nice and bright and airy. We had the buffet breakfast in the morning, which filled all of our requirements sweet and savory!
I didn't deal with any staff other than in the restaurant, and I found all of them to be efficient and friendly without intruding on our privacy.
We didn't use any of the other facilities as we were only staying the one night, but I can honestly say I had a great evening there and would happily return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple