“Very happy with my stay last week”
Review of The Hotel Cairns

The Hotel Cairns
Ranked #45 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Very happy with my stay last week”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Room was a bit dirty on arrival but clean the next day, except my bed hadn't been made and no tea or milk. They were busy. Large room on first floor. Basic but adequate. Comfortable bed. Office staff very helpful and friendly. Location excellent, one block to Esplanade and two blocks to cafes and shops. Definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The Hotel Cairns is a family owned hotel. The hotel is situated approximately a 10 minute walk to the central, and is also 10-15 minutes away from the airport. Staff were friendly.
Room was clean and bed was comfortable and the housekeeper was nice enough to give us extra towels wrapped in a plastic bag when our room was on Do-Not-Disturb.

Internet was included in our rate, however connectivity was quite intermittent at times. They had cups in the room placed on a tray with complimentary coffee and tea, but the white table napkin that the cups were placed on had coffee stains from previous guests.

PS : There's a night market around the area which sells awesome Churros!
Name of shop : Spanish Donut

Suggestion for improvements:
1) Breakfast was disappointing. Menu was the same every single day. Condiment table with sauces had ants running around. Scrambled eggs were well cooked like a curd and it was watery.
2) Internet should be free for all guests

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travelistar
Atherton, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I love this hotel. From the tropical gardens to the tasteful room décor and gorgeous white shutters. My only criticism is the bathrooms are in major need of renovation(and I have stayed in a number of their different rooms). Tiles coming off, Dirty grouting, broken fittings, and you have to climb over the toilet to get out of the shower. I love the idea of the unique style hot stone dinners that you cook yourself. It would be great if the soup was not always pumpkin. :-)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank cindy w
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My family and I stayed here for one night on Easter Sunday we booked through tourist information and told it was a boutique hotel we arrived at reception where the most miserable girl met us and very unfriendly. we dropped our bags and decided so go for a swim in the pool which was covered in leaves it hadn't been swept for a few days and was very dirty we asked for towels and was handed a very small hand towel. being Easter we thought it would be very busy but the hotel appeared to be dead now I now why!!! The room was clean but very basic we payed $179 a night for one room and told we would have to pay for internet if we wanted it which was so expensive. We would never stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Leesag123

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I’ve been wanting to give a hotel top marks for ages, and I nearly did… close…. Oh, so close….

I’m a Cairns local these days. I live in a share house just a couple of blocks from The Hotel Cairns and knew they had a locals deal which equates to a free $100 voucher for use in the hotel restaurant/bar on the evening of your stay. Out of the blue I decided to give it a try. Why? Because it was a muggy Saturday and I wanted a change of scenery to help me study for an upcoming assessment. I had some money earmarked for a black tie ball and suit hire that I wasn’t relishing the idea of going to, so I thought I’d give The Hotel Cairns a go instead.

I had a few things I needed to confirm and didn’t think there’d be any problems so I turned up at the reception desk and asked some questions. Desk – check (although not that big)! Air conditioning – check! Big comfy bed – check! A bath – check! Free internet… It was all going so well until that point . I’d foolishly assumed that since the identical deal when booked through a well-known website came with free internet (which I needed for my studying) that I’d get the same deal by walking in and booking – apparently not, but I could pay for it (at an obscenely high price).

My first suggestion was that they give it to me anyway – no! My second was that they turn it on long enough for me to sit in the corner and book the room through the aforementioned site – no (I’d need to buy a 15 minute block)! My third was that I drive home again (yes, drive) where I could be in about 2 minutes and then come back – I was fairly certain that by the time I braved the heat and humidity again to get home I wouldn’t feel like coming back…. And I think they got that vibe from me… so option one was agreed upon. Yay!

I got to the room which was, frankly, lovely. Clean, nice and cool, a nice big bath, king bed and a desk that would do me just fine. My first order of business was to get the internet working on my laptop which has run happily on networks of all types in all parts of the world – just not this one. There was nobody at the hotel with any idea on how to make it work other than suggesting I use it in another part of the hotel…. i.e. not my room which was clean, nice and cool, had a nice big bath etc. etc. sigh….. the voucher didn’t even have any contact info for technical support.

I returned to the room and tried to connect a few more times. I used to be in IT so figured if it was connectable then I’d connect to it. I hadn’t solved the problem after the 20 minutes I spent on it, but I did manage to connect for 5 seconds or so at a time as long as I didn’t use it for anything superfluous like browsing or email. I don’t think it was entirely a signal strength issue, but whatever it was it was useless so I’m glad I didn’t pay for it. Actually, no, it was worse than useless because every now and again it gave me hope and then tore it away from me. In the end I relied on my text books and information already on my hard drive but if not for having this info already I’d have had to cancel the stay – ironically it was consumer law I was studying and I would have been on solid ground if I’d needed to.

I’m glad I didn’t have to do this because it wound up being a good day, I got my work done and I capped it off with several drinks and a lovely meal with a friend in the restaurant. The food was nice, very nice, but it was a bit overpriced for what it was – so the $100 doesn’t go too far at all if you’re dining there. I think next time (and there will be a next time I hope, maybe during pre-exam week) I’ll spend the $100 on top-shelf spirits and get a pizza on the nearby esplanade… I’ll also need to have everything I need downloaded ahead of time. You’d think I’d just ask for a room closer to the router – but nobody seemed to know where it is so decisions will need to be made when the time comes.

Final thoughts, you’re close enough to everything you need in Cairns (if it isn’t raining), the pool looked nice and the bed was comfortable – although the ambiance of the wooden shutters on the windows got old really quick when you realise how much light they let in. If that’s a problem for you then you’ll need a sleeping mask or get a sleeping pill from the 24 hours medical clinic across the road.

Room Tip: Near the router if you need internet access...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank The_Breaker
Port Douglas, Australia
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed at The Hotel Cairns last night and it was fabulous. The service was excellent, the restaurant 1st class and the room was immaculate. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone. Oh I forgot to mention that the rate was brilliant. It was great thank you and we will be back. Vicki (Port DOuglas)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We had a very unexpected child free night on the weekend and called The Hotel Cairns on the off chance they had a locals room available. They did!
The night started on a positive as the staff remembered us from previous visits and we were given a warm welcome. Our room was clean and nicely decorated with decor that suits the tropical climate.
As we planned to eat dinner at another restaurant the staff graciously let us use the $100 locals credit at the bar, where the friendly bar staff made cocktails to order.
We started our next day with great morning swim, as staff allowed us a 11am check out, an hour later than the usual 10am departure.
Overall a great experience and we know what we are doing next child free night!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple