“Not a nice place for wildlife”

Cairns ZOOM and Wildlife Dome
Book In Advance
US$142.89*
Australia Multi-City Attractions Pass
US$37.85*
Kuranda Rainforestation Nature Park
US$69.51*
and up
Cairns by Night Walking Tour including Cairns Wildlife Dome and Cairns Night...
Ranked #49 of 160 Tours in Cairns
More attraction details
Owner description: The Cairns ZOOM is the world's first Challenge Ropes Course in a wildlife park, situated in the centre of Cairns on the rooftop of The Reef Hotel Casino. Experience adventure at varying heights and levels of difficulty on the Mid-ZOOM and Hi-ZOOM courses with 65 elements of crossings and ziplines - including one which takes you directly over a 4 metre saltwater crocodile! The PowerJump is a free-fall adventure with a 13m drop, whilst the Dome-Climb offers spectacular views of the city, the Coral Sea and surrounding landscapes. Make sure you spend some time interacting with all our wildlife, with Shows and Presentations throughout the day. Keep an eye out for Snowy the rare white kookaburra, as well as turtles, pythons, freshwater crocodiles, lizards, gliders and hand-feed our pademelons.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I visited this place for the first time this year in May and was surprised at how bad this place really was, the photos looked really good and inviting but when I arrived I was shocked. I would not return because I actually left there feeling sorry for the animals and the state that they were in......I love animals, this place really needs to let the animals be free because they deserve better and if the place wasn't that bad then I wouldn't mind if they stayed so people could be up close to them, but I am sorry to say this but your enclosure is not big enough, there is not enough natural habitat for them. When I visited the whole place was wet, I was nearly slipping in my shoes on the tracks and all the animals were wet and because there was animal poo all over the place, the smell was really strong and it started to make me feel sick. It may appear to look nice now because it is drier times but the true side shows when it is raining...please don't be cruel to the animals, the cage (Dome) is not big enough, release them as they looked really sad. You can still make money with the climbing thingy, just don't use the wildlife to entice getting people to pay to go there....It really is a sad establishment.

CaPTA_Group, Owner at Cairns ZOOM and Wildlife Dome, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

We're sorry to hear of your disappointment at the Cairns ZOOM & Wildlife Dome. I appreciate your concern for the welfare of our animals, but I can assure you that our staff are experts in looking after them and are just as passionate about their wellbeing as you are.

With regards to our wildlife enclosures, they actually meet, and exceed, biosecurity regulations. Biosecurity experts are actually very impressed with our standards, and are satisfied that these meet the needs of the animals.

With regards to the stress levels of our animals, breeding and mating indicates a lack of stress, and all of our birds and other animals continue to exhibit this behaviour throughout the year.

The park itself is cleaned and maintained on a daily basis at regular intervals. With regards to wet weather, the animals within the Dome have a much greater opportunity to shelter from rain than those in the wild. In some cases, birds can actually be observed our birds flocking towards water, even during hosing when our wildlife keepers are cleaning.

- Ben Woodward, Family Owner / Sales Director.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I didn't actually go into the zoo or do zoom so I can't attest to that. But, if you're like me and you want to hold a Koala this is definitely a good place to go. I liked that it was in Cairns and close to the hotel. I went twice actually (holding a koala was something i'd wanted to do for a long time). It was worth it and I got the picture emailed to myself too :) Great deal for Koala Cuddling.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was a highlight for our 3 teenagers! They had done zip line and obstacle courses before but loved this, in particular they thought the dome climb was amazing. One of their highlights!

1  Thank mrsdrenth
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Great fun with the family with very interesting animals hopping and flying about. Only problem is it is a bit expensive.

2  Thank Supanova66
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Overall the ZOOm is a great activity for families.

Doing the zoom part involves a lot of climbing and balance. If you don't like heights than you should probably reconsider doing that activity! At one stage we were about 20ft above the ground on a rickety plank! However just doing the zoo part of the activity is great, they have walkways etc.

Our family just did the mid level zoom as our kids were too short (6 & 8 years old) to do the higher levels. The activity took about 25 mins.

If doing the zoom part make sure that you wear enclosed shoes, no dresses for the kids. They do have lockers there but the less you take the best. The zoom part is completely different to the zoo part so if you are on a tight budget just do the zoo part. If you turn up in thongs you would have to hire shoes ($5).

If you are not sure if you want to do the climbing part, they do not tell you this, but you can just pay for that part once you are inside, past the gate, for the same price as you would if you paid upfront.

The talks were excellent and we spent a total time of 3 hours there! There is a lot of hands on experiences with the animals which the kids loved. Bring the camera!!