“Avnell family holiday 2011” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waterfront Terraces

Waterfront Terraces
Ranked #42 of 65 Hotels in Cairns
australia
“Avnell family holiday 2011”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

Our family recently spent a week at The Waterfront Terraces and enjoyed our stay immensely. The staff could not be more helpful and the unit was spotless, thanks guys for everything and we will certainly be returning when time permits.

Room Tip: Room 21 overlooks pool and ocean
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

I booked into Waterfront Terraces at the last minute after my mum had a stroke and I needed to be near the hospital. Katie was really helpful with my booking and gave me a great discount because mum was in hospital. I ended up having to stay 9 nights and I am so glad I stayed there. I had a ground floor apartment which I liked as I didn't want to have to carry bags up stairs. The apartment was perfect and had everything that I needed and the lovely walk along the esplanade every day really lifted my spirits during a trying time. Andrew was the most accomodating owner/manager I have ever come across. On my last morning I had to take my luggage with me to the hospital and I didn't think a cab would take me as it was so close so Andrew took me in his own car - fantastic service! I thoroughly recommend the apartments :-)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Emerson, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

My wife and I (27 & 29) were looking for a place to stay in Cairns for 3 nights and I'm glad that we found the Waterfront Terraces. Our main concerns were that it was a little far away from the CBD and possibly a little close to the airport. But we really didn't have much to worry about. The walk down the beach/esplanade was a pleasant 20-30 minute walk to the heart of downtown. We did hear some of the airplanes in the morning, but we were already up early on both days heading out to activities so it never bothered us.

We thought that the location was a little difficult to find. We only had the Esplanade address, but the parking for the location is on the street behind the hotel (Lake St.) and we missed it a couple times. On check-in we found the host to be very helpful (sorry bad with remembering names) she even had a personal list of restaurants with comments and steered us towards some very good deals and we appreciated that very much. We were on the first floor, which meant hauling the bags up steps. Not an issue for us, but something to note. We thought the apartment to be very nice. The kitchen was very modern, bed comfortable and decorated nicely. The in unit washer and dryer was very convenient and useful during our stay. If I had to pick the next thing to update in the apartment it probably would be the bathroom, but everything was in working order so I couldn't complain. We didn't get to use the pool much, but it looked very nice. We also enjoyed the view from our balcony and had breakfast there every morning. We had a pretty big rental car so some of the parking was a little interesting because the spaces were a little small.

Overall we highly enjoyed our stay and wish it could have been longer! The "excellent" rating for me really stemmed from the friendly and superb service we received during our stay.

Room Tip: Higher up the better the view.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

I recently travelled to Cairns to Study for 2 months. After searching the internet for the best value for money accommodation I emailed several hotels / apartments and got the standard rack rate and impersonal service. It wasn't until I emailed Waterfront Terraces, not only did I receive a welcoming response from Katie, I was offered a great deal for a long term stay, and further options for keeping the cost down.
I was so delighted when I arrived, the apartments are open and airy with lovely views and breezes from the east. The self contained kitchen was well equipped and recently upgraded with new appliances.
Everything was at my doorstep........ restaurants, exercise equipment directly across the road on the esplanade, Rusty's markets (a must do in Cairns), corner store only a short stroll, bottleshop next door.....and the opportunity to watch the sunrise over the mountain each morning from my balcony.
Katie even opened the office on her Sunday afternoon off to print out an assignment for me rather then me having to drive down to OfficeWorks in the rain. Doesn't get much better then that!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Forrest, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

We completely disagree with the previous review. We booked into Waterfront Terraces at the last minute after having a terrible experience on an island not far from Cairns. Not only did we get offered a fantastic rate for 5 nights, we got upgraded into a larger apartment. We found the apartments to be perfect. They had everything you could ever need, they were spotless and the view was wonderful. The shower was to die for - amazing pressure.

Katie was the most helpful and accomodating host I have ever come across. Nothing was too much trouble for her and her knowledge of the area is amazing. She made the stay so much more enjoyable.

I would recommend this accomodation venue to anyone. It is only a short stoll into the city, and the walk along the waterfront is lovely.

If you are thinking of going to Cairns, do youself a favour and book into Waterfront Terraces.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom apartments have a nice view but I would recommend any of the rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Goulburn, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

We stayed at these apartments for 10 days. Found the appartment very musty and could smell a distinct :air freshener" smell when we arrived. A little forethought in maybe opening the windows and letting some air and light into the apartment would have gone a long way. Our initial reaction was disappointment but the longer we were there the better ( we got used to the mustiness and the smell disappeared) The apartment was very dated ( except for modern kitchen!) and maybe not as clean as I would have liked but overall it was probably good value for the money we paid and the location was excellent. But certainly not the 41/2 star that is advertised to be. Katie one of the 2 managers was excellent and certainly knows her customer service!!

Room Tip: Ask for first floor room - the lower ones do not have view
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

Waterfront Terraces is the perfect place to stay in Cairns if you have a car. It is right on the esplanade with beautiful views of the bay and parkland. You can take a walk along the esplanade every morning(about 10-15 minutes) with the locals or drive into town in a couple of minutes. It is the quieter end of the esplanade with just the sound of birds in the morning.
The pool and tropical surrounds with beautiful orchids is very inviting. The apartment is well equipped with everything you would need for a week's stay. I want to go back next year.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family