“Horror movie exterior, tolerable rooms.”
Review of Koala Beach Resort

Koala Beach Resort
Ranked #62 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Brunswick, Ohio
“Horror movie exterior, tolerable rooms.”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I stayed at this hostel on three seperate nights only because of the cheap price (and I had a free night voucher from a Whitsundays tour). I honestly didn't mind the rooms. There are a lot of them and not a lot of people staying there from the looks of it, so I had a whole 6 bed to myself most of the daytime hours. I only ever shared with two other roommates max. The beds were comfortable, ensuite bathroom is a good bonus, and it was spacious. One or two nights the music and noise coming from a bar behind the hostel was really loud and distracting, but closing the window mostly helped.

However, the exterior was a nightmare. Like actually, I felt like I was walking into a potential slasher flick set at night. There is barely any lighting out in the courtyard aside from an eerie blue light above the sign and some dim lighting near the kitchen. The kitchen is dirty and cramped too. You need to hire out your dish sets and even pots and pans if you need them, but reception has such limited hours that this is a pain if you are checking in late or out early. The whole place seemed in disuse, like somebody left a creepy motel to abandonment. Also there seemed to be little to no social atmosphere, just people quietly making their meals sometimes and then keeping to themselves to eat at the picnic table or retreat to their rooms. I never saw anyone just hanging out outside. Since the whole place is set up motel style as well with about three-four stories (can't remember exactly), you need to drag your luggage up the stairs if you are anywhere but on the ground floor.

Reception was friendly and helpful, however, and the location was good. My advice though- only stay here if you're seriously tight on cash and just looking for a calm night of sleep. If you want to make any friends at all or even just hang out outside, it's too depressing.

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Maria M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed 2 nights.. Close to everything especially the restaurant area money for value excellent. Staff very helpful when we arrived and needed an extra room. Nothing was a problem. Room was basic but clean and tidy. Even offstreet parking for our car. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013
Townville, South Carolina
Reviewed 26 May 2013

The location is great and the staff were really helpful. We liked that we didn't need a car, walk to all the restaurants and bars and get picked up for our tour to the great barrier reef. The hotel is not brand new but clean and comfortable. The rooms are apartment styled with small kitchens so we saved by eating in some days. Woolworths just a few hundred meters away. We would stay again for location and price. They do a weekly rate that saves even more.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2013

fresh, clean ,affordable ,
full ensuites , crisp rooms more than satisfactory for the amazing low price,. close to carins night life walking distance to town.staff were excellent so friendly and assisted in making our stay memorable gave excellent local information to assist in the choice of tours! couldnt ask for better , thanks guys we will be back for sure!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Was told by the male receptionist I could not stay as it was 'Management Policy' - only those under 30 years were allowed! (That is against the law under the Australian & State Discrimination Acts!) Cairns is the only place in the world this has happened in all my travels. I had booked online & had already stayed 3 days. Strange being turned away from such a dump. But had got on well with people & location is good.

The kitchen stank and most power points did not work, there was electrical cable snaking across the floor. Same amout of equipment as found in an appartment - for so many people (4 electric elements - so 4 cooking pots at time, slow cooker, electric frypan, 1 jug for hot water which disappeared, 2 microwaves, 1 twin bowl sink). Little socialising. Bar & restaurant had closed down. Pool had things floating in it. 1 TV in kitchen that can't be heard over noisy fridge. Rooms, especially bathroom showed signs of neglect, mold, stains. Security was not good as you could walk in through the car park. No staff at night & reception is open few hours a day - so early checkout is hard. Overall - a state of decay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank brucefromaustralia

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Romford
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We were travelling around Australia for a month, so obviously stayed in many motels, hotels etc. with a range of prices! This accomadation was the worse that we stayed in, nothing what soever to do with the reception staff, whom I found most accomadating but their hands were tied. We booked in for 3 nights ourselves and another couple, it was quite late in the afternoon so we were pleased to have somewhere to stay. The card payment machine was not working, that should have been a warning if we had had foresight! So we paid cash for 3 nights, not realising until after that there was not refund available!! By the time that we had unpacked and it was after 7pm and the office was closed! Our pillows were absolutely disgusting, they were stained brown from whatever, the bed cover was filthy, well I wouldnt like to say what had been on that, The television was only available on a closed circuit all other stations did not work, the air conditioning was virtually nil, and although there was fans in the living area and the bedroom it did nothing to take the temperature down!! The temperature was over 40deg C! The towels in the bathroom were undesirable and I wouildnt have used them on my dog!! There were families there with young children who were allowed to run round in the closed compound until after 10.30pm screaming. The following morning I went into the office to complain,( as I said we had travelled around Australia for a month and previously a month around New Zealand and this was the first and only time that I had to complain!) I took the pillows and the towels back also the toaster that didnt work and spoke to Emma C. the receptionist who I must say apologised prefusely, she said that they normally didnt let that room but that was the only one left, she knew how disgusting the pillows were and had asked the owner for new stock on more that one occassion but this had not been forthcoming, apparently she had spoken to her that morning, so I asked her if she could ring her I would speak to her and tell her how I felt but that was impossible!! I also asked for a reduction and a refund so we could find somewhere else, but no refund was allowed. I complained about the children runniing around the complex late at night and in the early hours of the morning but she said that the manager had left and no new manager had been taken on, and I can understand that a young girl in her 20's would be no match for families with unruly chilren!!!!! Luckily for us she had had a cancellation and she moved us to a much nicer room where the pillows were spotless, the towels were clean and she supplied us with a working toaster and we had a working air conditioning and TV Yippee!!!! The bed cover was not great but a whole lot better than the previous room. The place is called Koala Beach Resort, no way would I call it a resort and it was no way near the beach!!! The owners need to be brought to task, to expect a youg girl receptionist, who bent over backwards to help the guests, to be able to sort out all the complaints she must have received and kept polite,never lost her patience, but would, no way be able to control the rowdy families that were staying there!

Room Tip: I would say that no rooms are worth recommending