“Good place to stay after landing in Cairns if next driving to Daintree region”
Review of Reef Palms

Reef Palms
Ranked #3 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
SF Bay area
“Good place to stay after landing in Cairns if next driving to Daintree region”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Self-catered small apartment is clean and comfortable, well-priced, and convenient to airport. Simple continental breakfast is tasty. Sherry and David are very nice owners. Nice 30 minute walk to the wharf area, or can of course drive. We stayed here as an easy place to land before driving the next day to the Daintree rain forest, but it would also be a good place for family to base if they opted Cairns as a a base without a car. Internet is available. Stairs to second floor rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank travelerSFBayarea
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you enjoyed your time in Daintree. The weather has been a little challenging with some rain lately which was not expected however the rainforests are looking marvellous. Am still sitting here in Teeshirt and shorts although I must confess to putting on a sweatshirt the other night for the first time in 18 months!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Arriving after midnight from overseas a quick taxi ride found me at the Reef Palms Motel. I followed the helpful directions for those arriving after hours and was soon in my room enjoying a good night's sleep. The room/apartment had everything I needed. I am surprised by the reference to the staff being rude. The husband and wife owners were at all times helpful. I was both delighted and surprised by the free lift to the airport for my ongoing flight. The lift was provided by the owner who seemed genuinely delighted to be of service to guests. The motel is located in a peaceful part of Cairns within easy walking access to the city. Although known more for its outdoor activities visitors interested in history will enjoy the local museum and the unique stain glass in the Catholic Cathedral.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank NP57
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, 21 July 2013
Thank you for writing. Yes, David loves taking our guests in our shuttle, it gives him a chance to have a chat which he thoroughly enjoys. When you are on business in the region again, we hope that you will stay with us again.
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The stay in the hotel was very comfortable and the staff was friendly. Rooms are big and tidy. The breakfast is nice. My stay was comfortable and relaxing. It is near the coast and drops are easily available.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, 21 July 2013
It is always a pleasure to have guests stay with us from India and we thank you for writing. David and I are very happy you enjoyed your stay in Cairns with us and hope that you enjoyed your time in Australia. If you or your family come to Cairns again, we would love to welcome you again.
Reviewed 14 July 2013

The room was fine, clean and reasonably well-equipped (except the first room were given did not have a room safe in a ground floor room, adjacent to the parking lot and with a window that did not lock). The communal bbq area was nice, and it is a short walk to the shore and the boardwalk that leads into town. It is located in north Cairns which is a tired area without much in the way of amenities. There were 2 of us, so walking outside after dark was fine, but I am not sure I would have walked alone there after dark. It is also in the flight path of the airport (for take-off), but there are not that many flights per day.
When we asked for a room with a room safe (as advertised, and paid for), we were subjected to a verbal tirade by Sharon, the owner. The young lady who works there in the evenings seemed to be embarrassed by this unprofessional outburst, and it was she who subsequently "talked" to Sharon and miraculously they did find another room for us that was fully-equipped.

As a paying customer, I did not find the owner's behaviour to be acceptable. While her behaviour was decent during the rest of our stay, she never apologized for her rude outburst, and in future I will take my business elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Rhodnius
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Normally, I take all comments on board and try to respond in a positive way however in this instance I am going to talk about how guests sometimes approach us at check in. I found you rude and agressive. When I advised that the safe had to be removed to be rekeyed because a previous guest had lost the key and we could put your valuables into our house safe as we were fully booked that night you were less than pleasant. Sometimes these situations arise and are beyond our control. After you went to your room, I checked our arrivals who had not checked in yet and upgraded you to a Spa Studio that did have a safe. I understand that guests sometimes are tired by the time they arrive and can be upset when they cannot have what they want however we do our utmost to try to accommodate all requests.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This is a great value self catering motel. Reception can t do enough for you and we were there at a busy holiday weekend. The rooms are spotlessly clean and plenty big enough, and they don t charge the earth. Parking is free. There s a small pool but you re only 2km from Cairn s lagoon and minutes away from the Esplanade. The airport is just 5km away so no long hauls back and forth. Very good value.

Room Tip: They re all good. Quiet location but just two blocks back from Captain Cook Highway.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Thank you for writing, Dave and I are glad you had a nice stay with us and hope that you will come again. The weather has been a little windy and rainy which has proved a bit of a challenge for our guests trying to see the Reef, hopefully the next few days will see the wind die down. The rainforests have had a good drop of rain now and are looking fantastic.
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I can't go on about how friendly and caring this staff was during our short stay. I was ill during this time and they assisted with finding medical help and offering comforts during this time. I really appreciated the staff-- I'm sure they were ready for me to leave :). It is decently far from the city center- so do not plan on walking-- plan on a taxi or taking advantage of their shuttle service. The rooms were extremely clean and suitable. I loved the kitchen and how large the 3 person rooms were-- it gave us room to spread out and kept me from getting anyone else sick! If you're looking for somewhere to stay before your overnight dive trips, I'd say this is a great location as long as you are not planning on staying out super late and needing a taxi cab-- it costs about $20 to get back from the city center

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank adr89
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Thank you for writing. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels and weren't sick again. You made the most of your stay with trips to the Reef and drives into the rainforest so you certainly got to see some great places while you were here. Take care and hope you enjoy fond memories of your stay in the region.
Herzliya, Israel
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The place was ok we stayed there for 2 night in one room that I did not like so much then another night before flying back home and that one was a bit better.
But... but... too far from the city... 20-30- min of a good walk.... and I like being in the middle of the action.
The staff was okay a bit bitter...
Best recommendation... stay north of Cairns in a smaller town.

Room Tip: Trial and error...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sheila O
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
David and I found your review a little confusing, you were disappointed that you were not staying in the hub but then recommend staying north of Cairns even further away from the centre of town. On all our sites where our motel is offered, we do advise that we are 2km from the city centre and that it is a 20 minute walk into the city or a 5 minute bus ride. If you want to stay right in the city centre then there are a number of large hotels that offer rooms however their room rates reflect their central position.