“Suffering from Unfair Suspicion and Discrimination”
Review of Reef Palms

Reef Palms
Ranked #3 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Suffering from Unfair Suspicion and Discrimination”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

It is our 5th stay place in Australia in our holiday. The staying was OK at the beginning, while we suffered the discrimination from the owner later. Firstly, I apologize for my ignorance to tell the owner the right number of people, and not keep the room clean. However, it is absolutely unbearable about being suspected as the thieves of towels, and biased and impolite attitude during my negotiation.

Sharon, we are extremely disappointed about the manner we are treated in phone. I managed to explain we have no reason to take the towel from your motel in courtesy, while you keep on shouting at me even with dirty words, leaving no intention to negotiation. You just poured out your detest to us.

Why don't you call me immediately after finding the missing of towel and before charging the penalty? Moreover, you never smiled to us as you did to the English speaking people and your group even do not help to open the back door when we are locked in parking area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank TuoZhang
Sharon H, Manager at Reef Palms, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
We take great pride in our family run motel and want to continue to be able to offer clean and affordable self contained accommodation in Cairns for all of our guests. We incur additional costs with loss of property and cannot continue to wear these expenses. We charged you for the extra room clean due to the condition that the studio was left in with dirty dishes and pans placed in cupboard. This policy is written and posted in the kitchen of every room. We also charged an extra person fee and for 6 towels that were removed from two of our rooms. This was reported immediately by our head housekeeper, a loyal employee of 5 years who did not appreciate your suggestion that she must have stolen them. We offered a refund of towels if they were returned. This issue is not negotiable – please respect our property and our rooms or charges will be incurred.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Korean first
Victoria
Reviewed 13 August 2013

The hotel is as good as all the previous guests say and we would not fault the service, cleanliness of the self-catering apartment, value for money or the friendliness of the owners. But it is near to the airport and planes are very low and close overhead when taking off - very noisy indeed. Between 5.40am and 6.30am there were at least six planes on some weekdays; weekends were quieter. The planes are less during the day, but finish about 10.30pm

If you are an early starter (say for a training run along the marvellous Promenade to town or heading out to the reef on a day trip ) then this may not affect you. However, if you are a light sleeper,. or hoping for a lie-in on holiday, then consider your options carefully.

Room Tip: Ask for the quietest - if there is one.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Thank you for staying with us, we are happy you had a pleasant stay. Unfortunately, over 2/3rd's of the motels in Cairns do experience some aircraft noise because of the way the flight paths operate here however most of our guests seem to get a good night's sleep when staying with us. Other motels are subject to Road noise or the noise of the restaurants below them which luckily, we do not have to contend with.
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 26 July 2013

What a great time i had again @ Palm Reef Motel Cairns North. Very friendly and helpful stuff. I booked this Motel 2.time as i loved it last year for quality, hospitality, clean and nice room with balcony and kittchenette and spa. And had a fantastic family feel, when the Lady from Reception gave me a warm welcome back and a i got for my " be back and feel good" a special extra an every day cont.breakfast, what was not included in my booking. I will book again next year, cos i felt very well and enjoyed again to stay @ P.R.M. on Digger Str.

Room Tip: why i should giving a tip here.. than it would booked out when i will book again
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Hobi01
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
It was lovely to have you come and stay again and David and I look forward to having you back next year - you'll have to stay longer next time. Thank you for your kind words, With luck, we might even be able to fit your friends in next time as well. Take care and see you soon.
SF Bay area
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Self-catered small apartment is clean and comfortable, well-priced, and convenient to airport. Simple continental breakfast is tasty. Sherry and David are very nice owners. Nice 30 minute walk to the wharf area, or can of course drive. We stayed here as an easy place to land before driving the next day to the Daintree rain forest, but it would also be a good place for family to base if they opted Cairns as a a base without a car. Internet is available. Stairs to second floor rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank travelerSFBayarea
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you enjoyed your time in Daintree. The weather has been a little challenging with some rain lately which was not expected however the rainforests are looking marvellous. Am still sitting here in Teeshirt and shorts although I must confess to putting on a sweatshirt the other night for the first time in 18 months!
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Arriving after midnight from overseas a quick taxi ride found me at the Reef Palms Motel. I followed the helpful directions for those arriving after hours and was soon in my room enjoying a good night's sleep. The room/apartment had everything I needed. I am surprised by the reference to the staff being rude. The husband and wife owners were at all times helpful. I was both delighted and surprised by the free lift to the airport for my ongoing flight. The lift was provided by the owner who seemed genuinely delighted to be of service to guests. The motel is located in a peaceful part of Cairns within easy walking access to the city. Although known more for its outdoor activities visitors interested in history will enjoy the local museum and the unique stain glass in the Catholic Cathedral.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank NP57
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, 21 July 2013
Thank you for writing. Yes, David loves taking our guests in our shuttle, it gives him a chance to have a chat which he thoroughly enjoys. When you are on business in the region again, we hope that you will stay with us again.
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The stay in the hotel was very comfortable and the staff was friendly. Rooms are big and tidy. The breakfast is nice. My stay was comfortable and relaxing. It is near the coast and drops are easily available.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, 21 July 2013
It is always a pleasure to have guests stay with us from India and we thank you for writing. David and I are very happy you enjoyed your stay in Cairns with us and hope that you enjoyed your time in Australia. If you or your family come to Cairns again, we would love to welcome you again.
Reviewed 14 July 2013

The room was fine, clean and reasonably well-equipped (except the first room were given did not have a room safe in a ground floor room, adjacent to the parking lot and with a window that did not lock). The communal bbq area was nice, and it is a short walk to the shore and the boardwalk that leads into town. It is located in north Cairns which is a tired area without much in the way of amenities. There were 2 of us, so walking outside after dark was fine, but I am not sure I would have walked alone there after dark. It is also in the flight path of the airport (for take-off), but there are not that many flights per day.
When we asked for a room with a room safe (as advertised, and paid for), we were subjected to a verbal tirade by Sharon, the owner. The young lady who works there in the evenings seemed to be embarrassed by this unprofessional outburst, and it was she who subsequently "talked" to Sharon and miraculously they did find another room for us that was fully-equipped.

As a paying customer, I did not find the owner's behaviour to be acceptable. While her behaviour was decent during the rest of our stay, she never apologized for her rude outburst, and in future I will take my business elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Rhodnius
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Normally, I take all comments on board and try to respond in a positive way however in this instance I am going to talk about how guests sometimes approach us at check in. I found you rude and agressive. When I advised that the safe had to be removed to be rekeyed because a previous guest had lost the key and we could put your valuables into our house safe as we were fully booked that night you were less than pleasant. Sometimes these situations arise and are beyond our control. After you went to your room, I checked our arrivals who had not checked in yet and upgraded you to a Spa Studio that did have a safe. I understand that guests sometimes are tired by the time they arrive and can be upset when they cannot have what they want however we do our utmost to try to accommodate all requests.