“Very good to stay!”
Review of Reef Palms

Reef Palms
Ranked #3 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The best hotel we had! A very warm welcome from Sharon and her daughter. The room was very good, self contained is very nice. Nice spacey room with a little garden and 2 chairs and a table. Good BBQ place with plenty of space. Nice spacey room with a little garden and 2 chairs and a table. The tips for our trips were excellent. The transport from the hotel to the trips , extra tourist tips: GREAT!

Room Tip: ground floor rooms have a little patio.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you very much for writing and for staying with us. Your kind review is much appreciated and we hope that if you are ever in Cairns again that you will come and stay with us.
The weather is getting quite warm now and Christmas will be here very soon. We all wish you and your family a lovely christmas and a prosperous 2014.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

The room was great, very spacious, clean and with everything you need.

The location was excellent, a 10 min drive from the airport and a short stroll down the esplanade to the bars and restaurants of Cairns.

The owners are very friendly and welcoming.

Would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you for writing your review is appreciated. Dave, Belinda and I are always so happy when our guests have had a great time with us. We hope that your stay in Australia was so good that you come back again.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Friendly and helpful staff to meet and greet on arrival. Accommodation had useful kitchenette and a telephone menu for restaurants who deliver. Shuttle service to downtown and airport. They minded our luggage while we were away for 5 days at sea. They also assisted with excursion bookings.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

It was lovely to have you stay with us. The boat trip sounded amazing! We have many guests who either go out on Barrier Reef trips overnight or take the Coastal Trader trip to the tip of Australia so whether you are going overnight or 5-7 days, we are happy to store luggage or cars for guests who are returning to stay with us. We currently have a couple off on a five day Bird Watching adventure so can't wait to here their stories when they return. This is what is so great about having a business like ours, even though we can't get away ourselves, we build up a list of places we would like to visit by hearing about our guest's adventures.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

What can I say, as soon as you walk through the door, you're made to feel welcome, a warm greeting as you check in, and you're handed a complementary carton of milk for your coffee or tea.
You open your door to a clean and light apartment, with really comfortable beds, the bathroom is well stocked with shampoo and shower gel and the like.

Back in reception, the wall is filled with a host of tours and excursions, the choice is vast, but never forced, you're free to browse and under no obligation, should you need to ask for advice or an opinion, the staff are more than happy to help, their knowledge is second to none and they'll even book it for you.

As if things couldn't get better, they offer a free shuttle to the airport in the mornings and to town in the evenings. You will need to get a taxi back as it is a bit of a walk back, but that's great if you want to enjoy the warm evenings or overdone it at dinner.
The pool is fantastic, it has a nice shallow area for those who don't swim, a nice deeper area for a little swim and just off to the side is a spa, (took me a while to work out how to work it) and towels are supplied for your use.

Would I go there again? Yes without a doubt. Would I recommend it? yes indeed!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Martin B

Thank you - we'd love to have you come back and stay with us again. I'm not sure where we told you but David is from Canberra and has a sister still living there. Cairns is a little like Canberra with lots of wide open spaces making it feel like a country town although I have a pact with David that I don't travel to Canberra between April and September - too cold for me! Christmas will be here before we know it so enjoy the festive season.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

We recently stayed here before we got a car to drive up to Daintree. We were only staying one night, so I didn’t want to pay a lot. Even though it was kind of far from Cairns Central Business District; a shuttle from the airport and complimentary breakfast, which based on some of the reviews I believed were part of the price, made it a good deal that we could put up with the inconvenience of the distance from CBD. When we called to be picked up at the airport we were informed, in a not so pleasant tone, we don’t pick up from the airport; we only drop off so take a cab. Then we learned the breakfast was not complimentary but available if you paid for it. These two misunderstandings kind of colored my opinion negatively, especially since these were the factors that tipped me to stay here. We could have stayed in a comparably priced place that had good Tripadviser reviews and closer to CBD.
But I have to say after sometime and observing how Sharon helped the guests, my attitude changed about the place. I still think this was not the place for us as we were only using it as an overnight stay. I would have liked to have been closer to more amenities. But I could see people, especially people staying for an extended time period, would appreciate all its amenities: kitchenette, spaciousness rooms, quiet neighborhood (except plane noises, but they didn’t bother me, but we were on the bottom floor), pool, BBQ, easy parking, nice/well kept furnishings, cleanliness of the rooms and entire place, and helpfulness of Sharon on tour arrangements or information about Cairns. However I have to add, I felt that Sharon’s disposition was not consistent, my opinion is she does so much to have a nice place for the guest and the number of people she helps may at times be challenging, especially if there is a communication challenge. But for the most part she is Very pleasant and Very helpful. I don’t think I could be as patient in the same circumstances.
We did not have good luck in connecting to their WIFI and when I called the front desk for help, no real help was provided (other than look in the binder). When Sharon and Dave’s daughter came on duty she VERY nicely offered to help get us connected, but I was already using their computer in the lobby to do what I needed, so at this point I did not want to bother her.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ellies852

Thank you for writing to us. Days can be challenging sometimes, especially the time when you visited us as David was away fishing - I might add he didn't bring any fish home though! I am sorry if you thought we collected guests from the airport, in all our literature on the internet it does state that we drop off guests to the airport only for departing flights. We are not licenced to collect guests. I do hope you enjoyed your time in North Queensland and got to see all the things the region has to offer and you enjoy fond memories of your trip to Australia. Take care.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We really enjoyed the Reef Palms, and Sharon, David, and Sharon's daughter make the small hotel what it is. We arrived in Cairns with no itinerary but looking for fun, and Sharon gave honest advice that proved spot on for filling our days. We never would have found the better adventures had we not asked for advice. Instead of spending one of our days on a long drive to cross the Daintree River, we instead visited Hartley's to see crocodiles and then hiked and swam at Mossman Gorge to visit the rainforest. We would have taken one of the mass-market tour boats to Green Island, but Sharon pointed us to Ocean Freedom, which takes a maximum of 75 people to two spots near Upolu Cay.
The room was great, with a smart use of the space. There was room for our older son to have a bit of privacy. The kids prefer dinner in to eating out, and with a full kitchen and a dining table, we were able to bring their dinner back and then we could go out to eat.
The airplanes do take off beginning early in the morning from the airport, but if you close the balcony doors then it muffles the sound.
The air-conditioner rattled like mad, but we had such full days that we always forgot to mention that on our way out. It was only once we were back in our room, exhausted, that we remembered that the air-conditioner probably needed attention.
Our last night I needed to do laundry, and I hadn't read the laundry details closely. When I realized that the laundry closed at 9 p.m., I left a message with the clerk at the desk that I had things in the clothes dryer. I figured the door would just be locked and I would continue to dry our things first thing in the morning, before our flight left Cairns. Instead, when I went back to the laundry area that evening, someone had waited until our things were dry and then had placed them in a laundry basket in front of the door.
That's the kind of help that the Reef Palms offers.

Room Tip: Morning sun and views from the rooms above the lobby area are nice, but probably are louder with air...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

It is always a pleasure to help our guests so thank you for your review. We are all happy that you enjoyed your time here with us. It is getting quite hot now with beautiful days on the water and many happy guests making the most of the sunshine to visit the Reef. I always try to give my guests information to ensure they have a great time here. If I can save you money by recommending one trip or activity over another I will. I think my job when recommending tours and day trips is to ensure you get value for your money so by listening to your requirements, I can pretty much work out the best trips or self drive options available. Take care, hope the boys enjoyed there time here too.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

My family of 3 spent 5 days at the modest Reef Palms at the start of our month-long holiday in Australia, and we couldn't have chosen a better place to stay. Big room, full kitchen with cookware and dishes, separate sleeping space for my 15 year old, grocery shopping and pubs nearby, and a 20 minute walk along the wonderful waterfront to the centre of town. The neat little swimming pool was cold except when the sun shone right on it, but it made for a refreshing dip! And our hosts Sharon and David were outstanding! With great recommendations for day trips and tours, Sharon making arrangements for us, and David driving us door to door, these are the kind of hosts you hope to have at every stop. We felt welcome and appreciated. We'll be back!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank bigmom1998
Sharon H, Owner at Reef Palms, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dave and I are so pleased your enjoyed your adventures in Cairns - we love it when you have a great time. Gosh it is getting hot now, I think we are in for a long hot summer season so perfect weather for swimming on the Barrier Reef or in the waterfalls of the Tablelands. We would love to see you all again and hope that you will make the journey back to Australia again and visit with us.