The Northern Greenhouse
US$277
US$151
Shangri-La.com
  • Pool
BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$208
US$179
US$170
US$157
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
Cairns Plaza Hotel(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$78
Reef Palms(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$123
US$94
Agoda.com
Mantra Esplanade Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$171
US$115
US$112
Cancelon
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfree breakfastcrystal cascadesensuite bathroomfree bbq on sundaysbig lockersfree activitiescommunal deckfridge freezerrooms are cleanbed female dormbbq dinnerprivate roomfree pool tablebig kitchentravel agentbars restaurantsluggage storage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Being one of my earlier experiences of Australian hostels, this gave me high expectations of other hostels yet to come! I loved the fact that this had "girls only" dorms, which included a shared bathroom within the dorm itself. There are plenty of chill out areas (chairs, tables, sofas and bean bags) for you to relax in and use their free wifi. The kitchen is large enough that there wasn't a queue whenever I needed to use the kitchen and you can find some basics provided too (salt, pepper, oil). Breakfast is included in the morning for free on a first come, first served basis. And there is a laundry room with a few machines, so all in all this had everything I needed and the staff at reception were very accommodating and friendly! Great job!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This hostel is really nice, one of the nicest I've seen. I stayed in a 6 bed female dorm and it was clean, air conditioned, had a nice bathroom with shower, refrigerator, sink, small patio, and comfy beds. Staff were incredibly friendly and helpful at the front desk and the travel Center. The reception area is 24 hours which is handy if you have an early or late flight, early tour etc. they have free luggage storage (handy) a nice pool, really nice open air chill out area with couches and fans and sunshade and a huge common kitchen with everything you need and more. Free coffee and bread, peanut butter, jam and toasters for breakfast. Dorm roommates were friendly and social so it's a great spot to meet people without being a "party hostel" so you can still get a great sleep. Really central and easy to walk to the esplanade where lots of the nightlife, shops, and restaurants are. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Avoid the dorm beds right next to the aircon units...brrrrrrr
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The Northern Greenhouse is by far, the best hostel I've ever stayed in. During my travels through Australia, I went back to Cairns/NGH twice, because I just loved it so much. Even after my travels through New Zealand, I just wanted to go back to Cairns and the NGH, my home away from home. I ended up staying there longer then planned. The staff, Stacey, Dustin, Jo, Yasmin and Evelynn, to call a few, are so friendly and helpful, always in for a chat. The atmosphere is so relaxed and quiet, you can just lounge in the common area, nice and airy, or have a swim. The rooms are spacious, the bunk beds are king size, there are luggage trolleys underneath the beds, lockers, and power sockets in each locker, en suite bathroom, a fridge, aircon and fan in each room. The cleaning ladies are so friendly and they clean the rooms every single day. The beds are clean and made when you check in.You get free breakfast, free pancakes on Saturday morning, free BBQ on Sunday, free wifi and they organise free trips to local spots. The kitchen is big enough to cook your own meal. Movie night is on Sunday and Wednesday night and there's a tv room. For a few dollars, you can wash and dry your laundry. They have their own little travel agency, if you want to book a skydive or a reef trip. I had a great time at NGH. If you're looking for a place to stay in Cairns, go to the Northern Greenhouse. You won't regret it :-)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Jonathan L, Guest Relations Manager at The Northern Greenhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Hi Tinni,
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I was thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I'm not a huge fan of hostels, but as a budgettraveler, sometimes it's what you get… My travel agent from Byron recommended me this hostel after telling her I was looking for something clean, upscale and rather quiet. This was spot-on!
En-suite bathroom, spacious dorms, free breakfast, great!
The common area might lack a bit of atmosphere, I can agree with others, but that said, most people here, are paying the extra bit to stay in a quieter hostel...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank SIrLancelotBCN
Reviewed 29 December 2013

The Northern Greenhouse was my first stop on the East Coast and was perfect for recovering from the epic journey over from the UK. (Female only) dorm was clean, airconned and quiet with loads of storage including lockers with power sockets and trolleys under each bunk. En-suite bathroom was an added bonus.

Loads of communal spaces to hang out, although I found the hostel pretty quiet on the whole. People seemed to use the communal areas to use the WiFi rather than talk to each other...This was great for the first jet-lagged couple of days but after a while I wanted things to liven up a little! Certainly not a party hostel. If I could do my trip again, I'd book Northern Greenhouse for a couple of nights, then head to Gilligans.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo