“Family style restaurant in lovely location”

Dundee's Restaurant on the Waterfront
Ranked #24 of 606 Restaurants in Cairns
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Overlooking Trinity Inlet at the Waterfront Harbour Lights, Dundee's Restaurant and Kickstart on the Waterfront at Dundees captures three ingredients -- great food, great location and perfect ambience. Dundees has a friendly, relaxed atmosphere in which couples, parties and families can all feel welcome at any time of the day. Dundee's specialises in Australian beef, fresh seafood, pasta and salads, there is a dish to cater for every tastebud. Kickstart is the perfect place to Kickstart your day. It offers hearty and healthy breakfast and brunch options in the morning
Sunshine Coast, Australia
“Family style restaurant in lovely location”
Reviewed 6 November 2010

My husband and I took a Sunset Cruise and a three course meal at Dundees was available to purchase in the ticket price when booking. Once the cruise was finished we were able to walk to the restaurant from the pier along the board walk - very convenient and pleasant.

I have read other reviews of this restaurant and honestly, I really don’t understand how diners who claim to be "seasoned foodies" can write such unpleasant and frankly, such arrogant reviews. My husband and I eat out about three or four times a week and have lived in many different places which have a varied range of eating establishments and food sources available to them. I have found that the best way to review a restaurant is to assess the type of restaurant and then judge by those criteria. For example, if a restaurant has won 'hats' etc., you would expect a very high standard of food, wine, service etc. If a restaurant has a more casual style or menu and/or maybe is a BYO, you may expect something else.

Dundee's is a family style restaurant which appeared to be able to cater to groups and families. There were also some tables placed in quieter spots for those looking for a romantic dinner. It is a boisterous place mostly. The menu was quite extensive and there was a good range of meat, poultry, seafood and vegetarian meals available. I had a Caesar salad for starters and the chicken for a main. I was too full to have dessert but my husband ordered and enjoyed.

The wine list was a nice surprise and we found a big woody chardonnay to our liking that one would perhaps expect to find in the more mid - premium section of a wine list.

The service was friendly, attentive and prompt. The restaurant was very busy but the floor staff managed well and the meals arrived within a very reasonable amount of time. I did actually encounter the manager for the evening and he was very friendly to us as we arrived. In relation to a previous review, he did seem to be talking to some patrons more than others but from the similarities of their appearances, I think he was related to them, so I will forgive him that! I am quite happy to be greeted by a manager/owner and to leave it at that!

The value was amazing. We paid $70 each for a three course meal.

I would recommend this restaurant to families, large groups or if you are looking for a casual meal on the pier. A tip for dining in Cairns is to take a walk later in the day and check out the menus and style of restaurants especially along the Pier and the Esplanade and then make a booking - at least that way you will know what to expect. There are plenty of places to choose from.

1 Thank afterbanns

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
“Still full.....”
Reviewed 28 October 2010

Today my family of four ( 2 adults and 2 children under 7) had lunch at Dundee's. My husband and I opted for the quick lunch and both had the Steak Sandwhich for $14.95. It was awesome. Tender rib fillet grilled to perfection on a beautifully toasted bun, topped with swiss cheese, coral lettuce, tomato, grated beetroot, caramelised onion and chutney. It came served with fried onion rings, steak cut chips and BBQ sauce. For the price it was fabulous value. So tasty and filling. Both children had the children's menu and chose fish and chips. Their meal also came with a drink of choice and vanilla ice-cream with choc sauce and biscotti. A little pricey at $15 each but the quality was there and they ate every last bit so you didn't mind. Situated on the waterfront, great service. Would definitely lunch here again.

1 Thank Fos74
Melbourne, Australia
“seasoned foodie”
Reviewed 21 October 2010

Dundees is a beautifully allocated restaraunt.The food is very good but the wait staff need a lot of grooming,quite sad as they were friendly enough but just didnt have the skills the manager swooned around as to see who was important enough to speak to. Never judge a book by the cover son! I had morton bay bugs and had to ask where I could wash my hands was directed to the public toilets why wasnt I given a bowl of water or hot wash cloth.Four people asked if we had orded our meal what has happened to table allocation.We had a wharf seating and it was raining my long dress was drenched at the bottom by the time we left.Didnt complain because I was very doubtful anyone would have the ability to deal with it.Good food but certainly not Press Club or Arias.George and Matt wouldnt let this staff out of the kitchen.

1 Thank shaza_torey
Queensland
“WOW”
Reviewed 6 September 2010

When we arrived the place was packed out, which seemed like a good sign considering we had just walked past at least 10 empty restaurants. We didn’t have a reservation, but the waitress said if we didn’t mind to wait 5 we would have a water view to accommodate us.
We expected to wait quite some time for our meals due to how busy they were but the food and drinks were very prompt. Our waitress was hospitable and very friendly and made light jokes throughout the evening.
But the Food was to nothing short of AWESOME!!! The Taster plate for entree was sensational, and my husband’s steak was cooked perfectly and very tender. The seafood I had was out of this world. The plates were empty when they went back. When the desert tray came out we were both in awe of it and had the taster plate to share which really did put us in heaven!!!
We both walked out full and completely satisfied in every way. If you are a foody go here, you will not be disappointed.

Houston, Texas
“Need to hire a new manager!”
Reviewed 3 September 2010

My husband is a bit of a 'foodie'! Dundee's was sourced as offering a great meal on the marina. What a surprise to find this place was HORRID! Sadly, we started with a new server, who didn't know that she needed to input our order into the computer, find a wine stewart that drank wine or follow through on ensuring the order made it to our table! Understanding that she lacked experience, we tracked down the manager who eventually gave us a 'seasoned' server. This seasoned server, couldn't get the kitchen to cooperate & properly make the meal! An hour and 1/2 plus later, I sat looking at my entree (we decided appetizers were too big of a request) while my surprisingly patient husband waited for the third attempt on his order to arrive! Thank God for wine! Needless to say, neither of us ate! After our first server failed, we were treated like we had the 'plague'! No one appeared to understand what to do after this other than avoid eye contact with us at all cost! When we did eventually complain, the manager took offence stating that the food took longer to cook there as it wasn't pre-made - how about training your service and kitchen staff! Nothing was comp'd, no apology given but you could feel the sigh of relief when we paid our bill ...yes we paid for my uneaten meal and the wine...and left! Do yourself a favour and have dinner at one of the other marina restaurants...you will probably leave satisfied and with a full belly!

4 Thank UndomesticGoddess