“Average at best”
Review of Hungry Possum's Pizza - CLOSED

Hungry Possum's Pizza
Price range: US$1 - US$22
Cuisines: Fast food
Description: Hungry Possum Pizza - Good food, Good People.
Description: Hungry Possum Pizza - Good food, Good People.
Gold Coast, Australia
“Average at best”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I ordered the supreme and found it similar in taste to a generic frozen pizza from the supermarket. The ham wasn't real ham and the cheese tasted like they had blended mozzarella with processed cheese. Over priced for what it was, it was only slightly better than Dominos. I will skip on this place next time. 6/10.

Cairns
“poor food and bad customer service”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Ordered some dinner from here recently and I ordered a hamburger with bacon and cheese and bbq sauce. Got home and unwrapped my burger to find a bread roll with chees,bacon and BBQ sauce no meat pattie , no salad . The other orderd items were average .I wasnt very happy with this and added a comment onto their facebook page saying close to what i have said above and also said I was not a happy customer. This comment got deleted by them off the site without so much as a sorry or apoligie for stuffing up the order. This place has gone a long way downhill since the days Shane owned it

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank PaulyjCairns
Cairns, Australia
“The worst pizza I've ever had!”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Hungry Possum’s pizza made me feel like throwing up. I don’t know where to start, I never thought I would come across pizza this bad. I have had pizza all over Australia in hundreds of restaurants, I’ve had pizza in Denmark, Germany, Spain & Italy, but this was definitely the worst pizza I have ever had.

I do understand the difference between traditional Italian pizza & the Australianized version, you can get both in Australia, in fact you can get both in Cairns and I like both, for very different reasons. This was definitely the Australianized type, but done extremely badly.

They started with a poor base, I don’t know what, but something was definitely wrong with it, it tasted bitter, like there was too much of something in it. Then they added poor ingredients. Not just one or two, but all of them. I’m not talking cheese like your no-brand tasty that might have been ok, I’m talking 10 times worse. The same was true for every other ingredient, but especially the olives… nasty!

They finished it off by undercooking the entire pizza. Undercooked at the crust, un-cooked at the center! We just moved into the area from another suburb of Cairns, we always like to try out the local shops, because there’s usually a gem somewhere nearby, but this place was shocking.

To add to all this, it was overpriced. And the first time we tried to get pizza there they said they were closed! They were all in the shop, the lights were on, and it was 20 minutes before the sign says the close!

Cairns definitely has its fair share of bad pizza, but they were all still edible. If you’re looking for good pizza in Cairns, the 2 best we’ve found are Stratford Pizza in Tully Street, Stratford (Australianized 4/10) and Villa Romana on the Esplanade, which is very overpriced if you sit down, but half price if you takeaway, so we get one and sit on the esplanade (Traditional 6/10).

I hope Hungry Possum gets it together, whoever is making the pizzas really needs to go back to school.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank MelbTrav
Queensland
“You call this pizza?”
Reviewed 28 February 2013 via mobile

Ordered two pizzas today, what we got was not what I would call pizza. It resembled pizza but was more like 2 thick round slabs with loads of tomato, cheese and topping. Pizza is supposed to be minimalist and thin, this was just stodgy and too much. I don't know what you would call it, but it certainly isnt pizza in the traditional sense. I have been told this is the way it's done in Australia. Well I've have real pizza in some trattorias in Melbourne and Sydney which don't resemble this obomination and confusion of flavours. Just horrible really.

Cairns, Australia
“Great Pizza”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Great Pizza, what more can I say. They make Pizza, sell Pizza and it is very good quality and TASTY! More expensive than the chains but so much better, money well spent.

Visited September 2011