“Good food, frightening toilets”
Review of The Taj Indian Restaurant - CLOSED

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Melbourne, Australia
“Good food, frightening toilets”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

The food is good here, but the toilets are like from the third world very disgusting.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Mr_Hazblaski

Irvine, California
“Good indian food”
Reviewed 2 June 2012

We enjoyed our chicken briyani, naan, and samosas. The butter chicken had too much tomato sauce in it.

The service wasn't great. Their lighting is very bad with ceiling fans dangling below lighting canisters which cast migraine-inducing flashes of light. We weren't the only ones who felt this way as another couple moved to escape. We asked that the fans be turned off as it was also very chilly but they remained on.

If you go early, you'll get a discount on your meal.

Visited May 2012
Queensland
“Second chance - never again.”
Reviewed 30 May 2012 via mobile

I have written about this place before and liked the curries but after a recent visit we won't be back. The service we received upon sitting down from the waitress was unfriendly, menus just placed on the table, no smile, hello or really any interest. We looked at the menu, waitress was no where to be seen. It wasn't busy by any means, maybe 2 other tables. We left without ordering and went up the esplanade where there are several other Indian restaurants and we had a great dinner in one where the staff were very welcoming and attentive. Cairns is renowned for inconsistent service and this is what we found here.

1 Thank andyoz
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic 'UKesque' Creamy Indian Dishes”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We are originally from the UK but have been in Oz for 12 years now and have always struggled to get creamy, tasty curries the same as we did in Notts.... Anyhow, whilst on hols in Cairns we decided we were going to risk a curry night, with my wife (who is as fussy as all hell) resigning herself to an 'average' cuzzer and some level of disappointment...
So, we ordered a couple of beers, poppadoms, mango chutney, raita, soft shell crab (I just LOVE that --!), a chicken korma and a chicken tikka masala with keema and garlic naaaans to go with our chow.
Poppadoms - got 4. Very tasty but for some unknown reason they folded them in half then cooked 'em. Strange! 8/10
Mango Chutney - Free with the poppadoms but got a tiny amount. Very tasty as always... 6/10.
Raita - Wow! We got a small soup bowl full of the stuff! Great taste but WAY too much... 8/10.
Soft Shell Crab - Not the best I've ever had but was pretty good with an super tasty salad side, 7/10.
Chicken Korma - Wow ~ Now we're talking.... Served in a balti dish and my wife gave this a mega rare 10/10. Creamy, full of taste and the chicken was tender breast through and through. Yum.
Chicken Tikka Masala - The sauce in this was one of the best I've ever tasted, bar none! Perfect. Unfortunately the chicken, which was thigh by the great taste, had a few tiny bits of gristle. That cost it a mighty 10 score... Thus 9.5/10.
Naans - Both were great and just right. 8/10.

PRICE - All that came in at a fairly decent price for the Esplanade front in Cairns, although pricey when compared to your average Indian. 7/10.

Overall - 9/10.

We'd definitely eat there again as the main dishes were amazing...

“My wife s favorite restaurant”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Just on the esplanade this is a nice Indian restaurant , my wife love it ! I'm not a big Indian food lover but any time I ve been there I enjoyed the food I really like the wine and spirits list but I don t really like the service