“Good location but wouldn't stay there again”

Global Backpackers Central
Ranked #45 of 84 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed 17 May 2012

My friend and I stayed in this hostel for 6 nights. Throughout our entire stay all of the staff on reception were unbelievably unfriendly and rude. One receptionist in particular was very rude and we were lucky to get any kind of response any time we approached the desk. We stayed in a four bed dorm which didn't have a window and had much less space than any of the 6-8 bed dorms. The room was cleaned once throughout that week. The bathrooms were an absolute DISGRACE! Seriously I dreaded going into them as they seemed to never get cleaned and the sanitary disposal units were actually overflowing. The kitchen was fine however the fridges appeared to also never be cleaned and were completely full the entire week. To get plastic cutlery and dishes we had to hand over either our passports or credit card. Absolutely ridiculous having to exchange such important documents for plastic. When I collected my passport the receptionist handed over the entire box of passports and honestly I could've helped myself if I wanted to - unbelieveable!! Overall the location is the best thing going for this hostel. It's right in the centre and the $5 meals in PJ O'Reillys next door is fantastic value for money (although I believe the vouchers are available at many other hostels too). I wouldn't recommend staying here as there are other better options in the same location and at a similar price.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Had a nice stay in Cairns, the hostel was well run by the helpful girls on reception who are great for booking trips with at discounted prices. Cleanliness was ok, toilets could do with several cleans a day, the kitchen however always looked immaculate and was very spacious with a cool little balcony with picnic tables. The hostel is in a great building on the inside the only downside was our room. I referred to our twin room as 'prison', just 4 walls and 2 beds. Not even a window. Make sure you ask for a window when you book or you may be surprised. The mattresses were the worst we've come across in Australia, gave me a bad back even. Guess that was just our bad luck with our room. All in all a nice hostel and good value but rooms could be improved.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank tetters2
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed at Global over the Christmas after an immediate exit from Gecko's in Cairns.
The staff at reception were informative and helpful. The staff doing the cleaning were not so good.

I am going to make a point here:
When you are at a backpackers, you put your food and drinks in a bag in the fridge and expect it to remain there. Fair enough, i have stayed in places where your milk might be used or some bread is taken. Broke backpackers, i won't go to war over it.

In Global, TWICE i not only seen the French guy working there drinking my drinks, i actually caught him taking it, watched, confronted him and he tried to say it was out of the fridge on the counter. **BS!** I even had gone as far as to write in permanent marker on my water bottles my name, room number and checkout date. He had no excuse.

This is the guy who cleans everyday.

In Global there are room cleans everyday.

In all honesty, how am i supposed to trust the staff in Global if they cannot keep there hands off a cold bottle of water with my wallet, iPod, laptops etc...

I think they need a serious look at who is there cleaning. Check out the cameras or something!

I was so angry about this. Only for my girlfriend calmed me down i was on route to reception to report him and have him sacked. (A bit unfair for a bottle of water but it is the principle!)

He claimed "oh, i was cleaning the fridge, etc..blah blah..) I walked him to the fridge, opened it. Pulled out mouldy bread, squashed eggs and gone off milk. Didn't do to good of a job i see. But yet you found your way into my cooler bag to my water!?

Unacceptable, plain and simple..

Next point, as mentioned, the fridges.

CLEAN THEM!

The air-con unit dripped water onto my pillow. On my face!
Avoid room 4!

There is a serious lack of natural light. Every other hostel i would be up at 6-7 am with the light, in Global you do not know if it is 6am or 2pm! Very dark rooms.

The kitchen is big, but you must hand in 2 forms of id at reception for a plate,cup,bowl,knife,fork and spoon. WTF?

On the plus side, $5 meal deal for JB O'Reillys! So why would you cook??

Cheaper to go next door and get a steak and a middy beer.

Altogether, not a great stay. If you stay in a dorm you can get really cheap i think $13per night. Ok if you really want to cheap it!

Double room, not worth $48!

Room Tip: Stay away from room 4. Air-con will drip on your pillow!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Overall it's been a nice stay! Room and toilets really clean and fun backpackers to meet! Only negative spot is the staff members. Really rude and unprofessional! Guys SMILE sometimes!

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We stayed in a double room in Global Backpackers for only $48 per night. The hostel is clean, central and quite new. If you're looking for a hostel where you can meet other backpackers, this hostel is probably not the best because it's very big. Otherwise: I would definitely reccommend this hostel.

Room Tip: Double rooms are also quite cheap.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I stayed at Global Central during my stay in Cairns and was plesently suprised. All members of staff were helpful and always had a smile.
After staying in many hostals whilst traveling up the east coast, i have to say this was one of the best so far. The entire hostal was clean and and had great areas to meet new people. The pool area was my fav area to hang out because good music was played throughout the day which ment you could relax. You would never feel alone as people are constintly up on the pool deck hanging out.
Global also had great activitys for everyone each day such as, volleyball and free sausage sizzle! Not only were there so many free activitys to do throughout the week they also included a $5 meal voucher for PJ's which includes a drink. It was good value for money because you get a really large meal! :)

I would return to Global central if i traveled back to Cairns!

Room Tip: I stayed in a number of rooms which i found all had a good high level standard. I would have to say...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I stayed at Global Central while I was in Cairns this year. The hostel is really new and extremly clean. All of the rooms have good light and compared to some of the other hostels I have stayed in previously I would stay here again 100 times over.
The greatest thing is the pool that they have located on the roof, like a little hidden paridise!
The staff were helpful and always remebered my name which was a nice touch.
The Entertainment was great! Each day they have a game of FREE BBQ!!
Lots of fun, made some great friends and travel buddies! Highly recommended .

Room Tip: The double private is great!! flat screen TV is so nice, go on splurge!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends