“essential dining in Cairns”
Review of Ochre Restaurant - MOVED

Ochre Restaurant
Price range: US$17 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Celebrating its 22nd birthday in April 2016, Ochre Restaurant is a local dining institution. Imaginative native food including emu, kangaroo and crocodile as well as a good sampling of Pacific rim-inspired dishes can be found here. An excellent wine list and efficient service. Ochre Restaurant makes dining out a sensory adventure.
Reviewed 9 August 2014

If you have only one night in Cairns, don't miss dining at Ochre. The menu is excellent, they source locally produced ingredients. Excellent wine menu too. Wait staff are informed and helpful.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The 'look' of the place and the food on the plate is great. A lot of care is taken with presentation. The wait staff is friendly and they knowledgably describe the ingredients of each dish as they serve them. It creates high expectations but the blandness of what we ordered was a let down. The barramundi in banana leaves was too large and bland. The lamb salad should have had a zingier salad dressing and perhaps a tasty marinade plus more tender lamb. The crab first course was acceptable. The desserts were the best for taste- the pavlova and the lime tart but even the tart could have been less creamy and more tart! Put equal effort into the details of the cooking to match the rest and it could easily be the best in Cairns.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I dined last Sunday Night. We sat outside near a gas heater. It was a very comfortable atmosphere. Our waiter, Matt, was excellent. He explained the menu with great enthusiasm. we had the three course set menu. The food was excellent, from the damper to the dessert. The mains of Barra steamed in an ommelette (my wife) and my steak were cooked to perfection.I could cut the steak with my butter knife. We thoroughly enjoyed our experience here. It was only our second visit and will certainly be back to try other items on the varied menu. A definite place to dine.

1  Thank Tracey C
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband ate here when he was on his own the week before I arrived and rated it so highly he brought me back to try it too. The best meal I had in Cairns - delicious kangaroo which I had never eaten before. I had it again later in the trip elsewhere but it wasn't as nice as here. Really tender and better than any steak I have had. Good service from a knowledgeable waiter who was more than happy to take the time to talk to us about where the food came from.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My boyfriend had been to Ochre with his family many years ago, and was keen to visit again on our recent trip to Cairns. I booked in advance via the website (a very easy process) for our first night in Cairns.

It was a Friday night and as expected the restaurant was busy, but we were promptly taken to our table by the window (inside, as requested on booking), and throughout the night service was excellent. Meals were brought out promptly, we were regularly checked on, and our servers were able to tell us what we were eating (which in most restaurants wouldn't be required, but certainly is here!).

We had the Australian game platter at $50 per person, with crocodile to start and kangaroo and wallaby as a main. It was all surprisingly delicious; I was sure I had heard somewhere that kangaroo wasn't very tasty, but perhaps whoever said that hadn't been to Ochre. ;) The crocodile was the least flavourful -- we only discovered this by carefully scrapping off the spicy batter to try it on its own. With the spicy batter, it was very nice!

While the server who took our order at the start was new, and had to check with the kitchen a few of our questions, he was very competent and was able to give good wine match recommendations for the food. The staff have obviously been trained well and everyone was friendy and helpful throughout.

We were absolutely stuffed by the end of the meal, and very satisfied. Would love to go back and try more of the menu -- hopefully our next visit to Cairns won't be far away!