“Good place to try Aboriginal and Australian dishes”
Review of Ochre Restaurant - MOVED

Ochre Restaurant
Price range: US$18 - US$31
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Celebrating its 22nd birthday in April 2016, Ochre Restaurant is a local dining institution. Imaginative native food including emu, kangaroo and crocodile as well as a good sampling of Pacific rim-inspired dishes can be found here. An excellent wine list and efficient service. Ochre Restaurant makes dining out a sensory adventure.
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Very interesting place to try the herb and spices used by Aboriginals. Its very authentic and nice. We had tried few dishes with rice and couscous dishes with some kangaroo meat. Its very tasty and unusual. Its a bit pricey, but our friends enjoyed it, coming from Europe its an adventure in taste.

There are newer reviews for Ochre Restaurant

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I was looking for a restaurant where you could get good bush tucker and this restaurant turned up in my search.
We made a reservation and head off to see what was it about.
The food was great - the mix of traditional meats with western cooking was very tasty. The serving was a delight.
We had crocodile and kangaroo amongst other things and finished off with there go wild desserts.
We could hardly walk back to our hotel!

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Dined here on a busy night and really enjoyed it. Started with damper and macadamia oil and wattle dukkah. Loved the dukkah. Had the Australian platter as a starter which included salmon gravlax, croc wonton, emu carpaccio, roo terrine with a slightly pointless little pancake. The emu was the highlight. Had a sense this was a skite dish for those who wanted to eat wild foods. Now I'm one of them! My partners had a seafood platter as starter which included prawns in a spicy tomato sauce, pipis tom yum, oysters and taro with avocado. Tasty beginnings. This was followed by macadamia encrusted pork with a pear and rocket salad. This was a hit. I had chargrilled roo sirloin with bush peaches. Really good, generous dish and very tender. A good honest meal. Service was very good.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I’ve lived in Cairns for 14 years and made my first visit to Red Ochre tonight. OMG, why did I wait so long. Over the years my wife and I have dined in 50% of Cairns restaurants and for some reason never tested the waters of Red Ochre and I have to say I have been missing out.

We chose Red Ochre for a special occasion and were not disappointed. It was a Tuesday night and our booking was for 6:30pm. When we arrived the restaurant was half full and during our time there it filled up.

I thought it would take a while for service and meals but I was pleasantly surprised with the speed of ordering and delivery of meals.

The staff were friendly, knowledgeable and very efficient. Before we knew it our entries arrived and we tucked into the pork belly/scallops and crocodile/prawn dishes with a relish. Both were superb.

After completing the entrees our mains arrived with a reasonable time gap and again we were immersed in the delicious flavours of the Duck with tempura sushi rice and the magnificent rocky creek beef tenderloin. Once again both were superb.

When our attentive waiter emerged with desert menus we groaned in satisfaction and politely declined due to being well and truly full.

In conclusion, the meals were sensational and the service impressive. Our entries were $22 each with the duck $35 and the tenderloin $39. Two beers for me at $7 each and a cocktail at $14 for my wife had bill coming in at a very reasonable $145

Well worth the cost for a truly exceptional dining experience – We will be back!

1  Thank The B
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We ( family of 4)visited this restaurant twice as the food was great. It was very well prepared and presented and it tasted amazing. The staff were friendly and one even recognised us the next day we ate there. The only very small problem we had was the wifi which was not very strong but that was the only issue we had. Overall this is a great restaurant and I would recommend it to anyone visiting Cairns.

2  Thank Sullivan F