“Worst steak”

Price range: US$17 - US$45
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Harrisons Restaurant exists in a setting that is made for romance and fun. The colonial style house and colourful gardens create a wonderful atmosphere for cocktails, romantic dinners and celebratory events. Food is skillfully created using produce that is always fresh and preferrably local. Spencer Patrick, owner of Harrisons, has navigated Harrisons as an award winning restaurant since it's inception in 2007. Harrisons has consistently held national accolades for it's food and wine and stands alone as Port Douglas' only One Hat rated restaurant in the QLD Good Food Guide. Spencer's style draws from his training in classic French cuisine and love for all things English. His belief is that good food can be enjoyed any where in the world, but what better place to enjoy it than in Paradise!
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Never been so disappointed in a steak served at a restaurant ! Dined here in May for my partners birthday and couldn't wait to try the beef for two, a large cut of beef sold at market price to be shared between two people, after receiving the meal our excitement quickly turned to disappointment, although cooked well, the steak was sinewy and very chewy, for the market price of $100 plus I was expecting a premium piece of beef that was unbelievably tender, instead the meat served was very very ordinary. Service overall was ok, beginning impeccably but then once mains were served it was near impossible to get the attention of the remaining male waiter, it appeared as though two other female waiters had finished their shift even though it was only 9 pm. When the table was cleared it was obvious we hadn't enjoyed our meal by the remaining inedible portions of steak but no feedback was sought by the waiter. Interestingly the two men at the table of four seated next to us shared the same meal as us and they were asked for feedback. I guess this was a safe question for the waiter as they didn't leave much on their plates ! The atmosphere was typical far north Queensland, open air, relaxed dining, the entrees and sides were good, the wine list accommodating, but expensive, as you would expect for the location geographically. Unfortunately we were left disappointed based on the beef for two alone, if it were not for this a rating of four could have been given but based on the price vs quality of what we were served I can only give a rating of two. For the record I didn't complain about my meal at the restaurant, but I was so disappointed that I decided to submit my first ever review online .

7  Thank Anthony N
Harrisons_Bucci_PR, Public Relations Manager at Harrison's Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Hi Anthony N,
Sorry to hear you were disapointed with your experience.
We are glad to hear that the beef was cooked well and would like to ensure you that the meat we use is carefully sourced from our butcher and is premium grade Bingle Bay pasture fed beef. Sometimes we use Sirloin, which can be a tougher cut than fillet but highly flavoursome, other times we use the Rib Eye. Depending on the cut, we are using 900g to 1.2kg of premium meat which is served with house made mustard, gravy/jus, potatoes and seasonal veg, that's a hugely sunstantial main with sides at $50 per person.
With regards to not complaining in person, I cannot stress to you for the future, the importance of sharing your complaints and concerns with any restaurant on the night you dine. Allow a venue to remedy your complaint, be it a complimentary meal or discount or an explanation/clarification at the very least. Any restaurant manager/owner will agree with me when I say that it is far more productive to give us the opportunity to make right your problem, in person.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

For the past 5 years Harrison's has been part of our annual winter break in Port Douglas.

On arrival at the restaurant there was a notice outside saying "chef wanted". Perhaps this in part explained what was to come.

My wife was very satisfied with her meal but my yellowtail fish was accompanied by far too many peppers. The plate contained an array of accompaniments – far too many and messy for my liking.

For part of the evening I thought the restaurant was one wait short of the complement needed.

The experience was a good quality one again but I thought not of the same standard that I have come to experience in the past.

1  Thank david e
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Great dining experience. Had the beef cheeks and lemon tart dessert and they were both absolutely delicious. Tried boyfriends dishes and they were also great and he was raving about it as one of the best restaurants he's been to. Great cocktails as well.

2  Thank Sophie B

Hi Sophie B,
Thank you for your wonderful feedback, we're so glad that you enjoyed your night with us, it sounds like you ordered well!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I are Cairns locals, and we had a reservation here for our 1st wedding anniversary, on our weekend away in Port Douglas. We were looking forward to this dinner immensely as a fine dining, elegant experience. We knew it was a very pricey restaurant, but were prepared to pay for good food, wine and service for a special occasion. We expected nothing less than this for our hard-earned money.
It started off well and we agreed the food was very good, albeit the portions being a tad small. The wine list was also good, however quite overpriced. The service was wonderful.
However.... when we came time to pay, it all went downhill. As my husband didn't have his glasses with him, I checked the bill, which was correct, and came to $226. When my husband came to input his details into the machine to pay, it came up with a figure of $301. My husband queried the staff member, "What is the $75 added on?" She replied, "Oh, don't you want to leave a tip?!" We were totally astounded at this practice and her attitude, and she said "Well I'll take it off then!". We were livid. We regarded this as theft, as we were of the impression that to leave a tip would be a customer's choice, not an automatic add-on to the bill, and certainly not 33%! We were outraged and would never go back to this restaurant. We have been alerting everyone to this with a grave warning. It's a pity, because Harrison's regard themselves as a fine dining restaurant. I'm sorry to say we disagree.

6  Thank NancyFNQ
Reina_PHB, Owner at Harrison's Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for choosing Harrisons Restaurant we are certainly sorry to read your review.
In the interests of clarifying the situation, I would like to advise that we do not add automatic tips to our bills, ever. Suggesting that we do is rather defamatory.
Now that most people are on board with using a pin number rather than a signature to accept bills, I suggest that in your situation, there has been some misentering of numbers on our hand held machine. Customers are automatically prompted to accept the charge of their meal on the machine, next they are asked if they would like to leave a tip - at this point you can manually enter a tip or simply press next, finally you are requested by the machines prompts to put in a pin number.
We are having issues in this 'no sign' transition period with customers entering their pin number into the tip screen, it is something that we all have to get used to managing with the new nation wide system.
We will accept fault in perhaps not walking you through this process clearly enough on the night you dined, however most customers do not appreciate a staff member standing over their shoulder wathcing them enter their pin number. Having said that, I will add to conclude that we absolutely do not automatically add tips to any of our clients bills.
Kind regards,
R Patrick

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Four adults and a 2 year old ate at this restaurant recently. One adult vegetarian, one gluten free. Plenty on the menu to choose from. The food was excellent, beautifully presented and included a complimentary amuse bouche and palate freshener. What really impressed us was the respect and attention given by this upmarket restaurant to children. Produced a booster seat without fuss, coloured pencils and a colouring in page. The 2 year olds food was also presented well, with salad, a little container of sauce, a drumstick and some chips. A good selection of wines by the bottle or glass. Service was attentive and friendly, without being intrusive. A lovely setting. All in all, a good experience.

1  Thank Nancye B

Hi Keveintrev,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, we are glad that you enjoyed your night with us and that Master/Miss 2 was treated like royalty, we enjoy seeing parents realxed in teh restaurant with their children.