“good trip”

Book In Advance
US$209.88*
and up
More attraction details
Owner description: Silversonic, a 29m luxury catamaran, is custom-designed for small groups of adventure-minded people to revel in the thrill of diving and snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef. Adventurers will spend 5 hours visiting 3 different reef sties at the renowned Agincourt ribbon reef. Choose snorkelling, introductory diving or up to 3 certified dives. We’re all about less people, more reef destinations, and a crew who knows the reef like the locals they are.
australia
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“good trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We enjoyed the trip to the reef. Rough seas hit the week we were there so we wanted to go on a largish boat but not a giant one. The silversonic was a good choice. We'd been out on it before. Food was plentiful and it is hard to serve that many people out at sea and you certainly go for the reef not the food. The crew were good at encouraging sea sick tablets and I only saw one person sick despite rough conditions. The boat was actually quite comfortable considering the seas. The snorkelling was good although this is our third time to the reef over a period of 20 years and I have to say I think it is deteriorating a little? Maybe my imagination. The current was really difficult to snorkel against because of the rough seas but we stayed out the whole time and I felt really safe. I felt like a careful eye was kept on everyone and everyone enjoyed the snorkel. My 12 year old loved the trip and the snorkel. I have to say we got great on shore service from Kelly. She was fabulous with advice and personal attention. Overall, I would recommend this boat. I just hope next time we go back we get one of those beautiful blue sky postcard days!

3 Thank dreamers45

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Silver Sonic = best choice for reef!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Silver sonic is an amazing day out on the reef and is the best choice for people who want maximum time snorkeling or scuba diving. It's a smaller boat so gets there quicker and allows more time in the water. The staff are exceptional, on both occasions I have used this company. They are attentive, knowledgable and fun. If you are sick, they clean away your vomit bags and give you water. If you want to know more about the reef, they can tell you. I and the people I went with cannot talk them up enough!! Defiinately choose this company!!

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

We took this tour in June 2014- 2 other tour companies had to cancel due to the strong winds luckily Silversonic was still able to go. One tour cancelled the morning of out their tour and so we rushed to Silversonic to see if we could get onto their tour that day-which luckily we could. The strong winds meant that most of boat were quite ill on the trip out however the staff handled these well and kept people out on the back deck to ensure we all didn't start to be sick. The lifeguards on the tour was great and although there was very rough seas the guys in the watch deck made you feel safe at all times. We visited 3 reef sites and at our final site we took the snorkel tour. It was amazing the guide pointed out a wide variety of sealife- we saw a turtle which was incredible. We also stroked a sea cucumber and saw nemo's couisn :-).

Great trip, however if the winds are up beware you need to be strong swimmer to get the most of this tour- many people couldnt come out on final site which was a real shame.

2 Thank Claire C
Houston, Texas
124 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 535 helpful votes
“Great Facilities and Vessel, but Impersonal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I would give this three and a half stars, if I could. The dives were pretty good; the vessel was very nice; but the overall experience was diminished by the impersonal service.

Silversonic is run by Quicksilver Group, which is one of the largest commercial diving operations in the area. With that comes a trade-off: better equipment offered by the scale of a large business but more impersonal service. (For frame of reference, my experience as a diver is PADI Advanced Open Water with 25+ dives in the last four months, including eight dives along the east coast of Australia.)

PROs:
+ Excellent vessel, which was spacious and comfortable even though there were a lot of people on board. Other amenities: hot water rinse hoses at the stern and free ginger anti-seasickness pills.
+ Very convenient dive station - with room under the bench for your dry sack and a shelf above for a towel and camera
+ Up to three dives along the Agincourt Reef (most shops only have time for two dives)

CONs:
- The huge drawback is that I felt like a number being pushed through the dive factory. I was told the minimal amount of information necessary to get me where I needed to be when I needed to be there, but the whole experience felt really impersonal. In fact, I was mistaken for another diver on the basis of (what I can only conclude was) race. I am Asian-American, an advanced diver, was traveling solo, and had pre-paid for three certified dives, and the only other Asian-looking guy who was diving was a doing an intro dive with his girlfriend. When we were gearing up for the second dive or third dive, one of the divemasters or instructors came up to me and said, "Oh, you're diving again?" To which, I looked puzzled, and said "Yes...?" And the DM/instructor said, "But your girlfriend isn't diving this time" - at which point another staff member (who wasn't even a diver) said something like, 'No, this is the other guy.'

4 Thank D C
West Chester, PA
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Truly Exceptional Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

We had done our research and had actually decided upon Posiden. At the booking agency we discovered that Posiden was booked for the day and the agent recommended Silversonic. He was right!!!

We were a party of 6, two adult divers, two adult snorklers and two child snorklers. The bus picked up up on time, the bus was spotless and the driver was courteous and polite. We got to the pier, the processing was quick & efficient. The boat was immaculate and left the pier on time, brecky was on time and very good. During the run out the intro dive briefing occured, which I had opted for. During the process I had to admit to heart problems. I am a triathlete and cleared to do anything. The staff radioed the HQ and I was denied. You might think I was angered but the way the crew handled the situation was excellent. I scuba but permitted to snorkle. Hard to believe I am giving them kudos for NOT allowing me to dive; something I really wanted to do. Anyway all six of us had a great day. Our grand daughter (age 9), who at the start of each dive said she didn't want to go, went on all three and is now passed out on the couch. We took my grandson (age 11) to Belize a few years ago, where we snorkled and he said this was the best ever. Each site seemed better than the other. Everything about the day was fabulous. Needless to say we had calm winds, calm seas and sun but the whole experience was TRULY EXCEPTIONAL!