“Great place for coffee, nice independent bookshop. Browse while you sip!”

Whileaway Bookshop & Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: Whileaway is the Port Douglas destination for lovers of great books and delicious coffee.
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Love this coffee shop on the main strip in Port Douglas. Great friendly vibe, and the all important thing: they do a great coffee. Also sell a few sweet items like slices and muffins, if you fancy a snack with your java.
It really is a great independent bookstore, with a high quality selection of titles. Everything from cookbooks, children's books, literature to best sellers. Also a good selection of cards for every occasion. Noice!

1  Thank tamaletown
DSK797, Owner at Whileaway Bookshop & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

We love being able to provide a varied and personalised, quality selection of titles to our local community and for all our wonderful visitors, so your praise for our proudly independent bookstore is very much appreciated. See you on your next northerly browse!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Call me old fashioned, but there's still something magical to me about a bookshop/cafe, especially when you're on holidays - and Whileaway is one of the very best. I loved the layout of the shop that catered for a wide variety of readers (including young and very young readers). I loved the way you could browse the books without being discouraged or feeling like you shouldn't. I loved the friendly young man (and many other staff) with the French accent who was so keen to look after you and make you feel welcome. I loved the eclectic seating arrangement and the fact that you could sit inside or outside. Although the menu was limited, it was fine, and you are made to feel like you were welcome to stay as long as you like (which isn't often the case). Finally, the young woman barrista must be one of the the best (if not THE best) in Port Douglas. I hope that this cafe continues to go from strength to strength as it certainly deserves to.

3  Thank FamilyinChina

We all thank you for your kind wishes for the future and I would also like to personally thank you for your glowing comments about my gorgeous staff, they are truly wonderful people. All the best from Whileaway.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

The best thing about this little place is that it opens early and closes around 8:00pm every night...perfect for satisfying your coffee cravings!! The service was great for coffee and the variety of books for sale would satisfy every need! A great place to sit and while away the day!!

2  Thank Bambi A
DSK797, Owner at Whileaway Bookshop & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

We are so pleased you had a great time on your visits with us, and enjoyed our books, coffee and opening hours. We love opening early to catch all you early risers, but our usual hours are every day 7.00am to 6.00pm. We wish we could stay open until 8.00pm every day but we are only able to do this during the school holidays. Hope to see you on you and your family on your next visit.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

In Port Douglas you are spoilt for choice with eateries, restaurants and cafés lining both sides of the Main Street. So to find which ones that do a great coffee could be a bit of a lottery. After referring to trip advisor I tried the Whileaway Bookshop Cafe which specialises in cafe beverages, cakes and also books. The coffee was the best that I'd sampled in a very long time, really smooth and creamy. It was so good I returned later in the day for another cup (even though I'm usually only a one cup a day drinker). The cafe also offered a great range of cakes and interesting arrangement of books. Going by the crowd at the cafe obviously other people shared my views of the high quality of this cafe.
If you are searching for a top quality coffee in Port Douglas then this is the place.

2  Thank AmandaL2444

Thanks Amanda, we do have some fantastic eateries and shops in Port and it's great to hear how highly you place us, see you on your next trip to the tropics.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Dropped in here whilst hubby was playing golf. I could have spent an entire day exploring the books and dripping the coffee. A great hidden gem in Port Douglas. I can recommend coming here for some peace and quiet.

1  Thank Karen M

We are so happy you found Whileawaya quiet place to enjoy yourself, and very satisfying to know you loved our coffee and books. Next time you are in Port we hope you can find time to pay us another visit.