“The best Best Western”

Lazy Lizard Motor Inn
Ranked #1 of 42 Hotels in Port Douglas
Reviewed 8 March 2014

You won't get a better Best Western than this. Enormous rooms. Very modern, clean and well equipped. Great pool area. Penny and Jim were brilliant. So helpful, booking all our trips and even advice re our onward trip to New Zealand. A bit of a walk to the main shopping area, but Port Douglas is just so pretty, we really enjoyed the stroll, so left the car outside our room. This Motor Inn deserves its high ranking on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
DJE007, Owner at Lazy Lizard Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Thank you for staying with us at the B/W Lazy Lizard, we appreciate you making the time to complete the survey and for your comments. Thank you.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights. Our room which was spacious and clean comprised of a sofa, small table and chairs, double and single bed, kitchen area, bathroom with bath and separate shower cubicle, a second table and chairs outside. The grounds are well kept, with a tropical feel and small swimming pool. The guest laundry consists of a washer and 2 dryers which we thought ideal and made good use of. Jim and Penny are superb hosts, nothing too much trouble, recommending and arranging for Exemplar Coaches who are excellent to meet us at the airport baggage claim. We went out to the Great Barrier Reef with Calypso who were also superb and to Kuranda via the scenic train and skyrail, Jim arranged both of these on our behalf. We walked into the centre of Port Douglas a 20 minute walk throughout our stay, there are regular local buses that stop opposite and cost $4 single or $7 return, we caught the bus back late at night if it was raining and were dropped off at the door.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
DJE007, Owner at Lazy Lizard Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Many thanks for staying with us at The Lazy Lizard, we appreciate you making the time to complete the survey and for your comments. Thank you.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

The rooms are large, clean and comfortable. A small kitchenette with microwave, toaster etc. You really need a car, it is after all a “Motor Inn” - only 5 minutes walk to the nearest beach but a 20 minute walk to the shopping area. There is no view from the rooms, so only suitable as a comfortable place to sleep. Good value for the price.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
DJE007, Owner at Lazy Lizard Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Thank you for staying with us at the Lazy Lizard, we appreciate you completing the survey, and for your comments. Thank you.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

This is a great hotel - If you are looking for a nice, clean and friendly hotel, look no further. Jim and his wife Penny are the most amazing people, extremely helpful and kind. They helped me organise my snorkelling trip and my airport transfers. My room had two beds with a small kitchen and bathroom. I hardly spent any time indoors (why should you when you are in Oz). The pool is small but very clean and Penny (Jim's wife) taught me to snorkel before I ventured into the ocean the following day. I was travelling on my own and Jim and Penny made my trip very special. They even gave me a couple of lifts to the town centre and back (about 15 minutes’ walk) so that I could buy food. They were also very kind to my new-found girlfriend who was staying nearby, by letting us use their bikes. I am just sorry I didn't get a chance to write this review earlier but even now, 10 months later, I still think of my stay in Port Douglas and remember how great this hotel was. I hope to be back someday soon! Thanks Jim and Penny x

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Thank you so much for staying with us, we appreciate you making the time to review our property and for your kind comments. Thank you.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed for 3 nights the hotel was well appointed, clean and had a lovely large comfy bed. Only saw Jim but he was extremely helpful regarding trips etc. BBQ and nice swimming pool to use. Only down side was the walk into town about 20 - 25 minutes, didn't realise that this time of the year was out of season so not much open in the evening to eat or have a drink, no fault of the hotel whatsoever. Had the breakfast option which was good as it was delivered to your room the evening before so no pressure to get up early the next morning which was nice after a long journey.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
DJE007, Owner at Lazy Lizard Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Many thanks for staying with us at the Lazy Lizard. We appreciate you making the time to completing the survey, yes this is a time when businesses often close for a break. Luckily there are so many in the area. Thank you.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

A spacious room with nice and helpful proprietors. I would prefer if the rooms were sunnier, a bit more modern and higher than the ground floor. Also I did not particularly like having a fleet of cars outside my door but this is how motels usually are. All in all I am content with this motel although it is not my favorite style.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for staying with us at the lazy Lizard, and for completing the survey. I think it is about expectations, this style of accommodation is our strong point, single story being able to have a undercover park close to your room and quiet are all positives. Thank you.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

we stayed 3 nights and enjoyed our stay. Quiet but still close to town. Run by very nice and helpful people. Best if you have a car with grills avalable for cooking in. Bikes avalable and the reef is just steps away. Loved it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David G
DJE007, Owner at Lazy Lizard Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Thank you for staying with us at the Lazy Lizard. We appreciate you making the time to complete the survey and for your comments. Thank you.