We stumbled on this place mainly on the basis of Tripadvisor, and were not disappointed. Port Douglas had been recommended to us over Cairns, and although it’s a 60 km drive, it’s well worth it. Apart from a short, very tacky strip, the town is beautiful an excellently situated, with a fine marina on one side and the famous Four Mile Beach on the other. The only downside of this is the likelihood of nasty jellyfish, but they have a “stinger net” area where you can stay safe from these. Martinique itself is at the quiet end of the town, but within easy walking distance of all the bars and restaurants, and with even easier access to the beach. The place is a magical cool oasis of calm, with fountains and palm trees and lots of shade. There is a small shady pool which while we were there was always quiet. The apartments are spacious and very tastefully decorated, not serviced every day but clean towels are available when needed. There is a fridge, microwave and double hob, and they provide a “starter pack” of tea, coffee and milk, which is thoughtful. There is WiFi at $10 for the whole duration of your stay, which is reasonable. The hosts, Ted and Antonia, are welcoming, charming and very helpful with unbiased advice about local restaurants, tours and attractions. A lovely place, recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Martinique - perfect for a romantic getaway in the heart of Port Douglas; yet quiet, relaxing and charismatic. Martinique on Macrossan boasts 19 one bedroom apartments, each with their own kitchenette, bathroom and private balcony. Offering accommodation from one night to ninety one nights, this French Caribbean style complex is perfect for those wanting to escape the masses, stroll the beach just metres away, enjoy a BBQ in the lovingly maintained courtyard, or simply want to relax by the delightful pool area. This resort is one of a kind in Port Douglas, quiet, centrally located, charming, accepts one night stays and is child free. If you want to enjoy the tranquility and relaxing nature of this village, you must stay at Martinique. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Martinique on Macrossan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Martinique On Macrossan Hotel Port Douglas
- Martinique On Macrossan Port Douglas