“What a horrible surprise!!”
Review of Mantra PortSea

Mantra PortSea
Ranked #25 of 42 Hotels in Port Douglas
Reviewed 1 March 2011

My partner & I stayed at the Mantra Portsea from 19/2 - 26/2 (7 nights). I had read numerous reviews on Trip Advisor where most people loved the hotel. We had pretty high expectations walking in, but to our dismay we were quite disappointed, even disgusted with some aspects.

I'm not usually a clean freak or a princess, but our room (a 1brm apartment) made me feel uncomfortable. The humidity had made everything kind of sticky, the bed felt damp & dirty. There was alot of dirt on the floors & that grime that builds up when things arent cleaned properly. Carpets were very stained & some parts of the walls seemed to have been punched or kicked in. When we slept we were in constant fear that bugs were going to crawl all over us. My partner had trouble sleeping because the bed was so disgusting! Our balcony had geckos walking all over the walls, and bird poop on the table. The view wasn't bad, except the pool we overlooked was filled with leaves.

The bugs were the most overwhelming aspect of our stay. We had cockroaches walk through our apartment and outside our door, we couldn't leave ANYTHING out of the fridge because 100s of ants would engulf our food in a matter of 2 minutes, the pillow i had literally been resting on 10 seconds earlier had an EARWIG crawl out! I wanted to cry because it was so gross and it really dampened our trip in Port Douglas, which was otherwise a fantastic holiday. We spent our days sight seeing, but the last 2 days it was raining so unfortunately we were stuck indoors.

Another aspect of the hotel that really peeved me off was the breakfast room. For some reason on our check in, i heard the receptionist say it was $5.50 pp, but upon check out i was charged $75.00 in total for 3 days breakfast. Let me just say that 'breakfast' had the WORST variety in food, consisting of the bare ingredients. I cannot fathom that they could charge $12.50 pp - all i ate was a piece of toast & orange juice! If i had of known it was going to be that much i'd have gone into town to get some decent eggs & bacon!

The only positive side was when we swam in the lagoon pool which was great because there weren't much other guests staying when we were.

I definately won't be staying at this hotel again, nor will i recommend it to any of my friends.

Hope my review helps anyone seeking a place to stay in Port Douglas, spend your money somewhere worthwhile instead!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kofuu
ARMPD, General Manager at Mantra PortSea, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2011

I must admit I am surprised too to hear of your negative experience. As you can see the vast majority of our reviews are very positive! Usually if there is a problem we do encourage our guests to inform us during their stay so we can 'fix it' on the spot. In future I would encourage you to do this to avoid disapointment. Sometimes problems do happen and we can nearly always stop the problem and therefore make the stay enjoyable!
Thank you for your feedback.
Kind Regards
Austin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,702)

Reviewed 25 February 2011

-Stayed at the Mantra PortSea during Autumn with the family to miss the busy season and to get away, and i have to say we had a wonderful time.
-The staff were friendly and extremely helpful, especially when giving advise on what to see and do around Port Douglas, and were always willing to help with directions and first hand advice. Also if we needed anything done or needed help with something, the staff would give their whole attention to us and our needs until they were done.
-The rooms were amazing, as they were modern, centrally located and very cool (temperature wise) with the air conditioning a god send in the North Queensland weather.
-The resort itself is centrally located in the town of Port Douglas, and only seconds walk from the main strip containing all the restaurants and shops.
-The manger of the resort personally greeted us at the reception, and his friendly and helpful manner helped to set the tone of our holiday. Also the manager recommended a few golf courses to play at where he could us a special deal, and i managed to get in a few rounds of golf at some top quality courses.
-I would recommend the Mantra PortSea to anyone who is traveling to Port Douglas with the family and wants to have a relaxing time, they won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to give us the positive feedback. I am particularly pleased to hear that you enjoyed all facetts of your stay here at Mantra Portsea.
I agree that the location is very convenient but the real point of difference is the quality of room and service on offer(especially for the price). I look forward to welcoming you again at the resort in the near future. Its also good to know that guests like yourselves enjoy a good fun holiday. We would love to see you in the future.
Kind Regards
Austin

Reviewed 7 February 2011

I had a fantastic trip and stay at the PortSea.
As it was off peak season in Port Douglas the hotel was quiet.
The pool was fantastic!!
Staff were friendly and helpfull.
Would defently stay there again.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Lisa B, Front Office Manager at Mantra PortSea, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2015

Hello,

Thank you very much for your lovely review!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you will come back to Port Douglas and our Mantra Portsea.

Many Thanks!

Katja
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 3 February 2011

Having travelled to Port Douglas a number of times we would drive past this hotel and think it looked really appealing so when we saw the hotel was having a sale we could not resist but to book in.

I think part of the reason we were so disappointed was the fact that we were so looking forwarded to it.

The issues we encountered were:
* damp smelling rooms which of course affected our clothes
* No insect screens on windows or doors so that we couldn't all fresh air in without the little insects flying in.
* Mould on the walls
* Ridiculous hotel policies i.e despite the hotel being at about 30% occupancy they would not allow another hour for late checkout without charging $20.
* Stained towels in bathroom and only 2 of them.
* Ants throughout the room including the bathroom (we had to spray a few times but they still kept coming)
* Charged if additional towels were requested, and
* Faulty television with a faulty remote.

We love Port Douglas so much so that we are getting married there in 6 months time and the purpose of this trip was to meet suppliers and put together accomodation options for guests to our wedding. During the course of the trip we inspected a number of hotels and serviced apartments and are pleased to say there is some real quality there as well as good honest affordable options, unfortunately this hotel is completly dishonest with its fresh facade and nice street appeal.

I guess if I were to provide any advice regarding this hotel I would say, if you are wanting a hotel within a reasonable location and with reasonable amenity and you don't have high expectations of cleanliness then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Billicano
Reviewed 31 January 2011

Pleasantly suprised by this hotel. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment which was clean and spacious. Excellent airconditioning inside, fantastic pools outside, short walk to the beach. I especially want to make note of the receptionist who worked Christmas Eve night. At the last minute our plans for Christmas Day were cancelled and she went above and beyond phoning everywhere trying to find availability for Christmas Day lunch. She was fantastic, nothing was too much trouble. We had the most gorgeous lunch at Thala Beach Lodge - a day we will never forget - thank you. I am just so mad that I can't remember her name :(

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2011

We stayed in unit 24 a&b side. It vertually had its own private pool. The Resort was in excellent condition and had a great clean bright feel about it. The foyer was beautiful and we were excited to show this beautiful Resort off to our friends. This was there first stay at Portsea and they were so impressed they are looking into purchasing a unit of there own. The staff were lovely and couldn't do enough for us. I can't wait until we can get back there.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Nice place to relax away from all the bustle. The room was very nice, yummy breakfast and the pool bar staff so helpful and she was very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple