My partner & I stayed at the Mantra Portsea from 19/2 - 26/2 (7 nights). I had read numerous reviews on Trip Advisor where most people loved the hotel. We had pretty high expectations walking in, but to our dismay we were quite disappointed, even disgusted with some aspects.
I'm not usually a clean freak or a princess, but our room (a 1brm apartment) made me feel uncomfortable. The humidity had made everything kind of sticky, the bed felt damp & dirty. There was alot of dirt on the floors & that grime that builds up when things arent cleaned properly. Carpets were very stained & some parts of the walls seemed to have been punched or kicked in. When we slept we were in constant fear that bugs were going to crawl all over us. My partner had trouble sleeping because the bed was so disgusting! Our balcony had geckos walking all over the walls, and bird poop on the table. The view wasn't bad, except the pool we overlooked was filled with leaves.
The bugs were the most overwhelming aspect of our stay. We had cockroaches walk through our apartment and outside our door, we couldn't leave ANYTHING out of the fridge because 100s of ants would engulf our food in a matter of 2 minutes, the pillow i had literally been resting on 10 seconds earlier had an EARWIG crawl out! I wanted to cry because it was so gross and it really dampened our trip in Port Douglas, which was otherwise a fantastic holiday. We spent our days sight seeing, but the last 2 days it was raining so unfortunately we were stuck indoors.
Another aspect of the hotel that really peeved me off was the breakfast room. For some reason on our check in, i heard the receptionist say it was $5.50 pp, but upon check out i was charged $75.00 in total for 3 days breakfast. Let me just say that 'breakfast' had the WORST variety in food, consisting of the bare ingredients. I cannot fathom that they could charge $12.50 pp - all i ate was a piece of toast & orange juice! If i had of known it was going to be that much i'd have gone into town to get some decent eggs & bacon!
The only positive side was when we swam in the lagoon pool which was great because there weren't much other guests staying when we were.
I definately won't be staying at this hotel again, nor will i recommend it to any of my friends.
Hope my review helps anyone seeking a place to stay in Port Douglas, spend your money somewhere worthwhile instead!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At Mantra PortSea there are almost too many relaxation choices, there are three swimming pools with the large central lagoon featuring a swim-up pool bar with water slide, spas and waterfalls surrounded by magnificent Golden Canes and vivid Haliconias. Situated between the seascape of Four Mile Beach and Port Douglas Village, the property offers hotel rooms, and one and two bedroom suites or two bedroom apartments. All hotel rooms, studios and apartments feature air-conditioning, ceiling fans, flat screen TV, movies on demand, mini-bar on request and tea and coffee making facilities. One and two bedroom studios and two bedroom apartments boast the added convenience of kitchenette facilities and the comfort of a two person spa bath and private balcony. Four Mile Beach (just one minute's walk from the resort) is a unique stretch of beach that looks out over the Coral Sea. All tours can be booked by the reception tour desk. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Mantra PortSea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra Portsea Port Douglas
- Mantra Portsea Resort Port Douglas