“A little piece of paradise”
Review of Coral Beach Lodge

Coral Beach Lodge
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I came to Port O' Call expecting another standard hostel in a pretty place - I got so much more! This little gem of a hostel is clean, well maintained, in a wonderful location (maximum ten minutes walk from the main town and the beach) and it is run by the friendliest people who make you feel right at home. I stayed in a four bed female only dorm and it felt like being in a little hotel room rather than a hostel - definitely the best nights sleep I've had in any place I've stayed in Australia so far! Ate in the bistro one night - huge portions and really good quality food, and nice beer on tap. Lovely pool to chill out in if you don't fancy the beach. The free shuttle from Cairns is also a great bonus. I hope to return at some point!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 4 April 2014

This place suited our needs whilst in Port Douglas for 3 days & nights.

The stay a minimum of 2 x nights and use the ( runs 6 days a week ) 'No Charge' mini bus service between Cairns and this hotel in Port Douglas was what enticed us to book here!

A courteous, timely and fantastic service.... Ask the drivers anything because they know all the answers...

Kiri & Steve are great hosts and Kiri was so helpful with booking our Reef trip ( On Quicksilvers Wave Dancer boat to Low Isles ) - And Steve happily gave his time sorting out a couple of minor maintenance issues during our stay.

The onsite restaurant is open 6 nights a week form 6PM and we ate there for the 3 nights - the Chef(s) and their food is 1st rate and also at a reasonable price to boot!

The location means you are approx. 15 minute walk from downtown Port Douglas and as long as it is not raining then that is fine.

The Marina is just a 10 minute walk away where most of the Cruises depart from.

Must See: Check out the Bat Colonies a 100 metres or so down the road - an awesome site.

The hotel is not new, a little worn in places but the Staff, Services and Tranquillity make up for the concrete block 1980's motel style...

No request was too much during our stay and I trust you will enjoy as good time in Port Douglas as we did based right here.

When my wife and I visit Port Douglas again - we will be staying here.

Room Tip: Bag yourself a deluxe room
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We had a great stay here, very well set up, so much cleaner and better orgsnised than other YHAs I have stayed in whilst in Queensland. Staff are extremely helpful and well informed and free wifi was a big bonus. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2014

When I was staying there couple nights in shared room I was thinking about writing review saying simply that every hostel should be like this. Nice rooms, manager switched me to the room with another guy my age saying that this will be a fit and and .... I had a nice company. Hope to be back one day.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 February 2014

This place is great! The rooms are GREAT value for what you pay. Super clean with all the amenities. There is a beautiful pool/lagoon/tropical paradise, with a bar/bistro right next to it. Ann was very friendly and super helpful! If you're bored, ask her about tours! She is a veritable fount of knowledge when it comes to booking tours. The river cruise is awesome!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights and we couldn't have enjoyed it more! We were impressed with the room size and cleanliness. It was a treat to have air conditioning too!
The manager, Anne, took great care of us! She was very informed about the area and she had several suggestions about where to go, what to see, and what tours to take. When we make it back to Port Douglas, we know where we will be staying!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I had visited with a friend. We had stayed in a double private room. This was my first experience in a hostel, and I was quite impressed. My friend, who has had more more experience staying in hostels, had noted that this is unusually neat and tidy. There was even a little resort lagoon that you can go swimming in, nice touch. My experience was great. When we were there, it was quite hot. They turn off the AC around 6/7am and on again 5/6pm, so if you are around at any other time, you might find it too hot. The customer service was just okay. The lady was very nice, but the gentleman didn't seem to put any effort. Any questions seemed to have been answered shortly. But, all in all, it was a good experience. I would recommend it and I would go again. The recommendations they had for day tours were great!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends