“No noise problems, lovely apartment”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cayman Villas

Cayman Villas
Adelaide, Australia
“No noise problems, lovely apartment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

My family ( 2 adults, one child ) had just returned from a 4 night stay at Cayman Villas. We were in Apartment no. 4. I was initially concerned after the negative review I read regarding noise levels from this apartment, but the concerns proved unfounded. We had no issues with noise, either from the pool or the stairwells. In fact we appreciate having the pool in such proximity to the apartment, and being able to look out to the pool to see what our child ( age 12 ) was up to. The bedrooms were set back from the pool so any noises were inaudible by the time we shut the bedroom doors. We loved the fact that the pool was a good size, heated, and the complex is so close to Macrossan street and the marina. Sharon was very helpful with our tour bookings and to sort out any other problems. Taking out the rubbish wasn't a big deal for us. We will definitely stay here again.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

We needed a 3 bedroom apartment for the first time ever, due to teenage daughters and friends! Lucky for us as otherwise we may have missed staying at the beautiful Cayman Villas. We all had spacious rooms, , the private balconies in the 2 larger bedrooms were unique, and I loved how you could convert the inside living/kitchen and outside Louvre enclosed balcony in to 1 huge room by sliding the glass doors 2 frames open. Then there was the pool and barbecue area. A heated pool is what I dream of and this was kept at the perfect temperature, while the barbecue's x 2 were kept spotlessly clean and thoughtfully replete with various utensils, oils, salts, a fridge and even extra suntan cream. Dave and Sharon were fantastic hosts and we will definitely be back- all our friends who visited us from their accommodation were very envious and commented on Cayman Villas being a winner!

Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

Thank you to all the past reviews who rated these villas so highly.
The amazing owners and staff allow you to enjoy the apartments as if they are your own, but provide amazing service when requested - for me the perfect hosts.
The Villas all overlook the pool and are fully self contained. The location is perfect - 200m from the beach, 100m from the main street.
The pictures do not do the place justice - from the moment you arrive until you depart, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Sydney Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

Our family travels at least twice a year, my husband and I work in the hospitality/tourist industry. We are happy to stay in all types of accommodation, as long as we know what to expect.

When I booked Cayman Villas my husband was travelling with work and we hadn't seen each other for three months. I was looking for a beautiful villa to spend some good quality, relaxing time together as a family with our two teenage children.
I read all the previous reviews, unfortunately I ignored the negatives and only focus on the pretty pictures and talk of a big heated pool.

I found a good price on the net but worried that the room wouldn't be as nice as shown on the web site, so I contacted the villa direct. I explained this was an important trip for us and I wanted to be sure our room would be as lovely as the pictures on their web site, if need be I would of paid the higher rate. The manager matched the price and assured me that we would get a room as shown on the web page and overlooking the pool.

We turned up early on the off chance we could check in early, we couldn't, that’s ok no harm trying :)

The manager told me they were really busy as it was the start of the silly season. I asked again if we had a nice room and was assured that all the rooms are nice. She was helpful with information on places to go and eat, offered to let us leave the car etc.

We came back got our keys along with a little map directing us to our villa (number 4) from the basement car park. Check in is 2pm, by this time the kids and I had been up since 3.30 am, we were exhausted.

My first impression of the villa was nice, good size, clean enough. We had gone grocery shopping, so while hubby grabbed our bags I put the food in the fridge and the kids checked out the rooms.

Between the lounge room and the verandah are big glass sliding doors, as soon as my daughter pulled these open all we could hear was screaming kids. I walked over to the big shutters and opened them; our verandah was literally about 4 feet away from the sun lounges around the pool. I looked out directly into someone’s eyes who smiled at me; I smiled back and closed the shutters.

There was no way we could sit on our verandah looking out at the lush gardens as the pictures show on the web site, there were people everywhere looking straight into our rooms.
There are no curtains to close between the villa and the verandah so to have any privacy we had to keep the shutters closed. The side windows looked out onto the unites next door, so we had to keep them shut. The bedrooms looked out onto a courtyard but at any time the courtyard could be accessed by a path, maybe no one walked around there, but I wasn't about to leave those blinds open!

Maybe I should have gone to reception and asked for another room, but I was dead tired, I had already unpacked the food. I hadn't seen my husband for three months and didn't want to start our trip off on a negative note.

Our villas outlook was nothing like the pictures shown on the web site. If this was all that could be offered I wish they had told me when I rang and asked. I had been extremely specific in asking for a room as shown on their web site, I should not have had to worry about this.

Too tired to think it through we stayed that first night. I seriously contemplated asking the next day but I had already been told how busy they were. We had spent a night in the villa and I couldn't be bothered with all the hassles, also I didn't want to waste our time together.

We stayed five nights with all the blinds closed. The only time I opened the verandah shutters was before 8am in the morning, when I was up before everyone else having my coffee. We kept the glass doors closed nearly the entire time so we didn't have to listen to everyone’s pool side conversations.

We didn't get any noise from the villa above, but the noise from the stairway and verandah is a real shock, it’s almost as if the people are in the room with you. Lucky for us the place was full of happy little families with kids in floaties, noisy yes, but not offensive. I can’t imagine how horrible villa number 4 would be if there were loud parties as a previous review complained about.

We had a car and spent most days out and about, Cape Tribulation, Mossman gorge, Sky Rail etc. We loved Port Douglas and had a fantastic time together.

I wouldn't risk staying in any of the ground floor villas; all but one of the ground floor villas had their shutters closed while we were there.

Checking in was pleasant enough. When we checked out we weren't asked if we enjoyed our stay, had a good holiday or liked our room. If they had bothered asking I would have told them.

Room Tip: Ground floor villas have no privacy
5 Thank Tannalee
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

We recently had a two week family holiday at Cayman Villas. We chose this location as it seemed a family friendly place and had wonderful service with our booking enquires from Sharon.

A gorgeous Villa (no 17.) on the top floor with plenty of space for us all. Mostly we have positives from our stay - the pool was wonderful, managers very helpful, apartments lovely and location excellent with only a 5 min walk to the main shops and 5 min to the beach.

Our only negative (but it became a big one) was the noise and interrupted sleep. Doors to the apartments that bang like guns going off echoing in the concrete stairwells wore us down by the end of the trip (especially in the night). The unfortunate arrival of four large families who let their many children go crazy, left rubbish all around, played their music loud at the pool, yelled constantly and drank into the night getting louder and louder spoilt the trip. The layout of all villas facing the pool unfortunately means that should this occur, you hear everything, all the time. We politely put up with it for a few days but after a few sleepless nights it certainly spoilt our holiday and like other families staying at the Villas we all avoided the pool when they were around. As that family left a wedding party arrived with a very loud drunken bucks night and the next night a hens night (with drunk people in the pool at 2am) so sleepless nights continued.

We realise that this was unfortunate timing but I would not risk it again, not when you pay a lot of money for a yearly family holiday

Overall, Cayman Villas was lovely if it wasn't for some of the guests who spoilt it. I realise this is out of control by management but taints the stay and therefore the review.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank KoopsinOz
caymanvillas, Manager at Cayman Villas, responded to this review, 26 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and yes it is very unfortunate when we have groups of families and friends that are not mindful of other in-house guests. We asked the group on numerous occasions to keep the noise down as we are a family resort. As always we value your comments and hope you are able to return at a later date to our beautiful part of the world, it will be a pleasure to have you stay with us again.
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

We went back to Cayman Villas because of the large rooms which easily accommodate three couples or a combination of family members. The "rooms" at Cayman Villas are actually the size of a house! Three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a large spotlessly clean kitchen and two separate dining areas-one on the enormous balcony. We were delighted to find the rooms had just been renovated with fresh new fabrics and furniture too so everything was in top condition. The management were friendly as always and nothing is too much trouble- transfers to airport, trip bookings, restaurant recommendations and bookings. Add what must nearly be the biggest pool in Port Douglas and we find Cayman Villas ticks all the boxes- perfect location between beach and Village, large rooms for spreading out, excellent hosts, well maintained and clean buildings and surrounds and an onsite area around the pool for relaxation. Didn't think it could get better but it did!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank latteleonie
Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

Our third year for a trip to Port Douglas and the third accommodation, and the best. As a couple without any children we are always after a peaceful and quiet place which Cayman provided. Admittedly this was before school holidays but there were still plenty of young babies staying and we hardly heard them. The rooms have been recently refurbished with new beds, which were fantastic. Our room was on the top floor and looked as though it was a 3 bedroom apartment with the 2 other rooms locked off, which meant that there was plenty of space for us. The pool has just been fitted with heating, so no need to worry about the temperature. Well positioned for the stroll into the restaurants, but not too close to be noisy. We had a very relaxing trip, so thank you to all of the staff.

Room Tip: quieter rooms tended to be on higher levels
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple