My wife and I stayed here for 7 nights in late July / early August. We had a 1 bedroom superior pool apartment on the ground floor. Not sure what the people upstairs were doing but we woke to loud noises most mornings of furniture moving around in the apartment/s above.
On the plus side the room was clean and tidy and the small pool area was attractive and quiet and the pool refreshing after a day out. We like the location as it was a short walk to Four Mile Beach or the main street with all the restaurants, shops etc. The bed was comfortable and we slept well until the noise started in the mornings...
Negatives - the apartment was quite dark during the day - you always had lights on even when sunny outside. The bathroom was dated and needed an urgent upgrade. It was in stark contrast to the rest of the apartment when had clearly been upgraded with a large TV, DVD player and decent kitchen.
They offered no welcome packs so, having travelled from Singapore to Brisbane, then to Cairn and finally to Port Douglas (a total of 15 hours +), we were told the shops shut at 9pm and if we arrived after that too bad. I think for international travellers they should, at least, offer an optional welcome pack of some basic food items (I would expect to pay of course). All they included "on a complementary basis" was a small box of UHT milK (the size you put into a childs lunch box) and some tea / coffee bags!
They wanted to charge for everything - photocoping, additional cleaning, WIFI and if you forget your key and have to ask for help they had a AUD$200 "call-out" charge for the Manager to come from his apartment to let you in!! Fortunately we did not forget.....
I think there are far nicer and more modern apartments to stay in Port Douglas than the Meridan.
One major negative was the receptionist - she was pretty unhelpful and miserable. We asked where we could change some money - no idea!; is there an ATM - again no idea..... This from a resident of Port Douglas which is a very small resort. She gave no help or suggestions as to what to do or where to go. When we left she was working at her desk, she ignored the taxi driver and there were no pleasantries as we left - she ignored us completely.
Like other reviewers, i would not stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meridian Port Douglas offers 4.5 star rated boutique apartment style accommodation in the heart of Port Douglas. An adult haven of privacy and relaxation for couples and singles has been created in a selection of stylish self-contained Studio Rooms and One Bedroom Apartments, surrounding a heated lagoon style pool set in tropical gardens. Accommodation options include swim up pool access rooms or your own private jacuzzi. The Meridian Port Douglas is ideal for couples and singles that desire a peaceful and relaxing getaway however mature teenagers over the age of 16 years are welcome. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Agoda, Booking.com, TravelUp, Travelbag, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Meridian Port Douglas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Meridian Port Douglas Hotel Port Douglas
- Meridian Hotel Port Douglas
- Port Douglas Meridian Hotel