“CLEAN APARTMENT BUT NEEDS SOME ATTENTION”

Meridian Port Douglas
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Port Douglas
HARLOW
“CLEAN APARTMENT BUT NEEDS SOME ATTENTION”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 7 nights in late July / early August. We had a 1 bedroom superior pool apartment on the ground floor. Not sure what the people upstairs were doing but we woke to loud noises most mornings of furniture moving around in the apartment/s above.

On the plus side the room was clean and tidy and the small pool area was attractive and quiet and the pool refreshing after a day out. We like the location as it was a short walk to Four Mile Beach or the main street with all the restaurants, shops etc. The bed was comfortable and we slept well until the noise started in the mornings...

Negatives - the apartment was quite dark during the day - you always had lights on even when sunny outside. The bathroom was dated and needed an urgent upgrade. It was in stark contrast to the rest of the apartment when had clearly been upgraded with a large TV, DVD player and decent kitchen.

They offered no welcome packs so, having travelled from Singapore to Brisbane, then to Cairn and finally to Port Douglas (a total of 15 hours +), we were told the shops shut at 9pm and if we arrived after that too bad. I think for international travellers they should, at least, offer an optional welcome pack of some basic food items (I would expect to pay of course). All they included "on a complementary basis" was a small box of UHT milK (the size you put into a childs lunch box) and some tea / coffee bags!

They wanted to charge for everything - photocoping, additional cleaning, WIFI and if you forget your key and have to ask for help they had a AUD$200 "call-out" charge for the Manager to come from his apartment to let you in!! Fortunately we did not forget.....

I think there are far nicer and more modern apartments to stay in Port Douglas than the Meridan.

One major negative was the receptionist - she was pretty unhelpful and miserable. We asked where we could change some money - no idea!; is there an ATM - again no idea..... This from a resident of Port Douglas which is a very small resort. She gave no help or suggestions as to what to do or where to go. When we left she was working at her desk, she ignored the taxi driver and there were no pleasantries as we left - she ignored us completely.

Like other reviewers, i would not stay here again.

Room Tip: The pool room was nice as it had direct access to the pool
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EXPLORER0010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Having booked months in advance and specifically requesting a quiet room away from the main road we were so disappointed with our apartment location. Constant traffic noise was not ideal for a tropical relaxing stay. Apartment was dark and we needed the lights on whenever we were inside. I was told by the receptionist that she didn't find the apartment noisy at all, I didn't appreciate that response when it was my reality. Having said that the location is great and apartment clean. The young lady that was a different receptionist was very lovely and helpful.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Disey12
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Located just off the main strip - and not too close to any noise - you wouldn't know it when you're inside! It's suitable for couples, families, friends and maybe even business.

Pool are is nice, albeit a little small. The walk to the beach is only 5 minutes, and the shops are very close by.

The rooms are nice but a little small - our balcony area was bigger than the room! The bathroom was nice with a hot tub. The outdoor area had big shutters which were good to get some sun or to keep it out (or keep the mozzies out!).

If I went to PD again I'd probably stay here - it's decent value and ticks all the dots. I wouldn't call it a 5 star venue, but it's a solid 4.

Room Tip: Hard to say. I don't think there is a lift though - so be mindful of the stairs (for those with...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarcMenz
Buninyong, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I recently spent 10 days at the Meridian. Really great location close to restaurant strip , 4 mile beach and Marina. Great amenities , clean and comfortable. Possibly should have upgraded to a one bedroom apartment for that length of stay but nevertheless the studio premier was okay. Nice pool area , friendly staff would definitely stay there again. Possibly need to look at the smoking areas as people staying on the ground level that smoke make it a little unpleasant for guests upstairs.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mick K
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We recently stayed at the Meridian during our stay in Port Douglas during which time we got married.
We are just so glad we chose to start at the Meridian! We have been up to Port Douglas several times before and this was by far the best and not just because we got married.
It was absolutely the best week of our lives and the hospitality and friendly nature of the staff at the Meridian just made it that much better.
We received a room upgrade where they even left wine and cheese in the fridge and rose petals on the bed!
We stayed in one of the apartments on the pool deck with our own private spa area as well, it was peaceful, beautiful and luxurious. Our own private pool deck that we could swim up to was awesome as well!!
The service went above and beyond and we are just so grateful for all that was done for us.
A huge thank you to the staff at the Meridian, we will certainly be back! And highly recommend to anyone travelling to Port Douglas especially if you want a couples retreat away from kids!!
Georgia and Jason Tierney

Room Tip: We loved our room on the pool deck!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I never got the chance to stay at this hotel as my online booking was accepted and then half an hour later CANCELLED! All because they made a mistake on their website and won't honour the rate advertised!

I made a booking on this hotels website for a one night stay for later this year (yes I received an email confirmation) only to have it cancelled not long after. I called them straight away to ask what had happened and I was informed by the receptionist that they couldn't accept my booking as that room is only available for minimum 3 night stay and that they had in fact made an error on their website (it stated minimum 1 night stay at $345 per night). I told her that they have to honour the advertised rate but she informed me that "they will be losing money if they sell me this room for one night so no we can't accept your booking".

I don't know what customer service school this kid went to but I'm pretty sure telling a customer that "my boss told me that being a small business we will lose money so we are in no way able to accept this booking so um yeah I'm really sorry.." is kind of a bad thing to say to a customer because you know what sweetheart, I don't give a damn if you make profit at the end of the day. That's not my problem and it sure as hell ain't my problem if you can't get the right rates on your website.

You advertise a rate, you are to honour it. Plain and simple.

So if you really want to stay somewhere in Port Douglas that pretty much only cares about your money and doesn't really care about customer service then this place is just for you. Knock yourselves out.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
10 Thank the_curious_observer
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We had a 1 bed spa apartment on the top floor. Great king size bed as I'm fairly fussy about a comfortable bed. Well equiped apartment and generously size 2 person spa which was very well used (especially after ocean swims and snorkelling). The complex is a handy location to the centre of Port Douglas CBD and Marina area with regards to walking for eating purposes whilst not to busy/noisey if it was closer in.

Room Tip: If you are arriving after hours, get clear instructions as to where the room is as there is a lack o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple