We chose to spend our honeymoon at the Meridian mainly after looking at online reviews here and elsewhere, and it totally lived up to expectations. Most of what I have to say will be repeating what others have mentioned below!
We stayed in the Honeymoon Suite Deluxe, which I think is probably one of their nicer suites, and found it fantastic - can't compare it to other rooms, but it was spacious and very well laid out. A single bedroom, decent sized bathroom, roomy lounge with a small but nicely set up kitchen, and sliding door which open on one side to a large private courtyard with jacuzzi and some tropical garden (and a path leading to another sliding door in the bedroom). On the end of the lounge is another sliding door leading to an undercover little courtyard with a table for pleasant outdoor meals (still private), and this leads onto the deck which is situated right at the end of the pool, which is around the corner, meaning this gives you more privacy than most of the rooms which open directly onto it. Decor was simple and pleasant, with a suitable sort of tropical feel - tiled floors, cane furniture etc., with a big new TV. All was spotlessly clean and not at all worn looking as some places can be. Air con and fans were definitely appreciated at this time of year!
The vibe of the place (especially as we were there in the offseason, I guess) is very relaxed and quiet (no kids), which was perfect for the sort of getaway we were after. The lagoon-style pool, which we spent a lot of time in, is in the middle of the complex, with a public outdoor area beside it; one night we made use of the enormous barbecue to do some tasty steaks. The location, as others have mentioned, is also pretty much perfect; just off the main drag, walking distance to everything you need - we didn't even hire a car.
The managers, John and Sue, were great - very friendly, informative and clearly committed to running the place well (when John showed us to our room, his perfectionistic streak showed as he jumped to perfectly centre the TV). They quickly took care of a few requests like a lightbulb that went out, and were very patient in contacting our reef trip service daily to rebook as the weather was bad, and sorting our airport transfers.
Really enjoyed our stay and would recommend the place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meridian Port Douglas offers 4.5 star rated boutique apartment style accommodation in the heart of Port Douglas. An adult haven of privacy and relaxation for couples and singles has been created in a selection of stylish self-contained Studio Rooms and One Bedroom Apartments, surrounding a heated lagoon style pool set in tropical gardens. Accommodation options include swim up pool access rooms or your own private jacuzzi. The Meridian Port Douglas is ideal for couples and singles that desire a peaceful and relaxing getaway however mature teenagers over the age of 16 years are welcome. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Meridian Port Douglas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Meridian Port Douglas Hotel Port Douglas
- Meridian Hotel Port Douglas
- Port Douglas Meridian Hotel