“Tuned out! Relaxed and friendly!”

Turtle Cove Beach Resort
Townsville, Australia
“Tuned out! Relaxed and friendly!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

There are plenty of resorts out there that say they are welcoming, and work hard at proving it, and others that just are! I checked in and it was just like being with family, no one fussed, no one asked if I needed anything, they didn't need too. Warm and friendliness was order of the day. Promoted as a Gay friendly resort, it lived up to its claims. Thanks guys, I had a great weekend and plan to come back for a longer stay next time.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

I just returned from 8 fantastic days at Turtle Cove. It was my second time and this by far was the best. I had an Ocean View room which was clean and looked over the ocean. The staff were brilliant (especially Grant and Lee) and made everyone feel comfortable and part of the family. A+++ to all the staff.

I went up there on my own but no need to worry. The Turtle Table was brilliant in making friends and I had a blast with several people who I will remain in contact with and hopefully do a Turtle Reunion with in the future.

The food was excellent and the wine (I recommend Monkey Bay) was the liquid of choice every night. The spa was fantastic and I made lots of new friends and acquaintances in the bubbles after dinner till about 2 am every morning.

I would heartily recommend Turtle Cove to anyone looking for a peaceful, relaxing holiday and for a great opportunity to make new friends along the way.

I will certainly be making Turtle a yearly holiday from now on.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

I recently stayed at Turtle Cove for 6 days and feel like a changed person. I arrived late last Saturday night and was greeted (fortuitously) in the driveway by a welcoming Bert Gerbrands: a force of nature, having returned as manager after some time away. After initial trepidation, I was quickly put at ease by Bert and the friendly and attentive staff members. My room (a beachfront suite) was clean and inviting; the crashing ocean waves, just metres from my private decking, soothing me to restful sleep as I retired for the night.
Upon waking, I drew back the curtain to a glorious view of a tropical paradise hinted to in the deep darkness of the night before. What ensued was a holiday beyond my expectation. I met some lovely people from across the gay spectrum, spending time with them in the top quality resort facilities, making time to do touristy things away from the Cove, always eager to return home to it's sanctuary and enjoy the company of new found friends.
So many pleasures to note: the rejuvenating private, clothing optional beach visits, plunging into the invigorating waves as they crashed over and around us, bonding in the water; fun and chats by the pool and spa (always available for late night dips - the spa heating system did falter during my stay but was quickly fixed); tasty and well prepared food (complementary continental breakfast, menu/a la carte lunch/dinner as well as full bar and REAL coffee) providing more opportunities to engage in conversation and jocularity with the other houseguests or if lucky sit in on raconteur Bert "Queen B" Gerbrands' entertaining and inspiring stories (he is the consummate host, available to guests and staff alike); hammocking under the stars (the milky way!) with or without a chum (btw - there are plenty of possibilities to spend some alone "you" time, finding remote spots or treating yourself to a massage in the resort spa).
There is a gym and games room (I rediscovered the joy of table tennis); so much to keep you occupied - it felt like summer camp and rekindled the kid in me; and it all came at a very reasonable price.
I could go on; I cannot speak highly enough of the professional, yet friendly management and service of Turtle Cove. I had a hard time getting into gear to leave and am already planning my next stay.

Thank you Bert & the Turtle Cove Team!

Richard Holland,
ST KILDA EAST/MELBOURNE

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

I recently stayed at Turtle Cove with my boyfriend for 3 nights in the Ocean View room. At only 30 metres from the actual beach, the room really was "Ocean View"...and nothing better than listening to the waves at night. I liked that the beach was private (we both have brown bums now!) and out of the way... great for a short stay. All the staff were exceptionally friendly and did everything with a smile or joke. I think this made all the other guests just as friendly, so no matter who we chatted to, young or old...everyone was friendly, chatty and there to enjoy the weather. We hired a car which I recommend as its a good 15 minute drive from Port Douglas...as this made things easier to explore the surrounding areas (unless you just want to stay at the resort the whole time, where a hire car isnt needed). There's a nice refreshing pool, a cosy spa, private beach away with no crowds, a couple hammocks between beautiful palm trees....plenty of nice food and drink to choose from and some sun lounges wherever you look. Big thanks to Bert (Manager) and Kurt (Bar) who made our stay a great one.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms only have about 30 metres before you hit the beach and a cute deck to chill on... I...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

I just got home from 5 nights at Turtle Cove. This would have to be my most relaxing holiday ever.

I was greeted my Bert (aka Queen B) who runs the resort and he was a total hoot. He showed me around the resort and I immediately knew I was going to have a great time.

The Staff are first class - Bert, Ray, Grant, Lee, Kurt and Ollie - they couldn't be more helpful and playful / cheeky. Just fantastic. (and cute too).

The rooms are nothing flash - but they are clean and comfortable - bed was great and the balcony and views were awesome (I had the Deluxe room with a view which I would suggest you get). Its great value for what you pay for.

The common areas were awesome - fantastic bar area, pool deck, hot spa and the beach was just amazing. Super quiet no kids.

Meals & Drinks were pretty good and very reasonably priced. So I found no need to leave the resort.

Clothing optional hot tub was always full before and after dinner and was always a great place to unwind and meet the other guests.

I traveled by myself and I was nervous whether I would be by myself the whole trip or whether people would be friendly. Well as soon as I got to dinner one of the staff introduced me to the other guests and I sat at a table of 20 guys. I've met many friends from the trip - we all exchanged emails and phone numbers. It's perfect. You tend to eat breakfast and dinner with the guests and you all discuss what you're doing for the day. I just hung out with different guests each day.

This was the perfect holiday. I cant recommend it enough. It not a 5 star resort but I have to say that I normally stay 5 star and I'm very fussy and this was good enough for me.

In summary - amazing staff, perfect for single travelers, beach and location is bliss - clothing optional beach and hot tub were a real plus for those who like to nude up.

This is going to be my new chill-out destination.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a view - it was so nice to chill out on the balcony in the morning and the afterno...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

Been here a few times but this last was by far the best. New management have taken over the place and brought it back to its original excellence.

Staff are brilliant and make sure everyone is included and are literally available for all your needs....

Definitely be back!!

1 Thank S4shaw
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

My partner and I had a great stay at Turtle Cove. The room was bright, airy and well appointed. All the staff welcoming and friendly and helped with information on local sights and attractions . They make you feel at home and relaxed.

The resort is isolated, so if you're planning day trips out it may be advisable to hire a car - we picked one up at Budget in Port Douglas and found the staff member helpful and gay friendly.

The food is excellent and as with the drinks - reasonably priced for the quality provided .

We found the weather great and the pool should be a lot warmer with the addition of the solar heating .

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple