“Excellent Value, wonderful getaway!!!”

Port Douglas Plantation Resort
Ranked #36 of 42 Hotels in Port Douglas
Reviewed 2 January 2008

My wife, child (6) and I stayed at the plantation for a week around the holidays. We very much enjoyed the resort. The location is very good (only a couple miles from town). You can take a shuttle or a taxi ($15 one way). We rented bikes one day and easily rode into town and back. There are walking and bike paths basically the whole way.

The villas are nice. Any small issues we had were taken care of immediately. The grounds are beautiful. The pool is fantasic. The resort is quiet, peaceful, and relaxing, yet is a perfect spot for families. There is tennis, chess, billiards... It seemed many times we had the place to ourselves! The food and drinks are quite good and very reasonable. You can always get a variety of pizza and pasta plus they have a couple of specials every night (steaks, seafood, chicken...) Breakfast was part of our package and also tasty. (Continental or cooked hot, your choice.)

The staff is very friendly all around. In particular, the owner was outstanding with his handling of suggesting, booking, and advice related to tours. The selection of tours in the area is endless. We took 4 in total, all wonderful. All tours picked us up and dropped us off within a few meters of our villa.

Much recommended. If we ever make it back to the port, we'll stay at Plantation.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank SeeTheWorld94

Reviewed 17 December 2007

After spending 4 days on the reef, this was an ideal place to relax . Staff was super friendly, the room clean and comfortable and the pool / bar area was so nice I never wanted to leave.

A return trip to Port Douglas would definately have me returning to stay at the Plantation Resort.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 December 2007

I stayed at the Plantation resort from the 24th to 28th of November 2007.I found the rooms comfortable clean and very well presented with all you needed,The staff were absolute first class nothing was to much trouble,they were so happy and enthusiastic to help in any way it was a pleasure to be there. In my view it was very realisticly priced,and I recommend to anyone Best wishes to all at the resort and thank you for making my stay so very very good. ernestwebb@btinternet.com

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 November 2007

My wife, 3 girls (9,6,4) and I stayed at the 'Plantation' for 5 nights in Nov. We wish we could have stayed a month. As mentioned in previous reviews, the staff was simply outstanding. Paul, Michael, Dave, Sue and Darren are just great people who care about taking care of their guests and making sure they are happy and comfortable. Unfortunately the weather wasn't the greatest for us but the kids were just as happy in the pool as they were on our day out at the reef. We hope to return to Port Douglas some day and would certainly stay again at the Plantation.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2007

Michael, Darren, Paul and Sue are quite simply the best hosts Kim (15 countries), Kalle (2.5 years and 8 countries), Paris (1.5 years and 6 countries) and I (14 countries) have encountered. They are what makes this resort a fun and very memorable experience.

While the rooms are a little tiried and walking into town is not an option, the bus (Coral Reef Coaches) stops at the door and the pool is brilliant for kids. The pizza and pasta bar is great value for money, Kalle (my very fussy 2.5 year old) is still recommending Michaels FNQ Pizza to anyone who asks about our holiday.

Very highly recommended.

Highlight: If you visit and don't enjoy the friendly atmosphere, stop travelling ... you won't find better!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2007

I found out about the Plantation Resort when searching for holiday locations in Port Douglas using the usual big travel websites (travelocity, expedia, orbitz, and priceline), and wound up booking the holiday for my family (2 adults, 2 teens aged 15 and 16) through the resort directly. From the moment I first contacted the proprietor, Mr. Douglas-Irving, I knew I had picked a winner. He and his outstanding staff did everything possible to ensure that our trip went smoothly, safely, efficiently, and most of all, would be a holiday that we'd never forget. They were courteous, responded promptly to email communications, and offered a very nice family package for a week's stay, where two-bedroom accomodations (not always easy with two teen-agers along) and daily breakfast buffet were included. The pizza and pasta bar at poolside were terrific places to begin and end each day, with adventures such as treks through rain forests and snorkeling visits to the great barrier reef sandwiched in between. Incidentally, the transportation into town or to the various sightseeing adventures was also superb. The shuttles came right to the hotel grounds to pick us up. As a previous reviewer indicated, the resort was full during our stay, but it never ever felt that way. Hats off to the Plantation Resort - my family will not forget our once-in-a-lifetime visit to Port Douglas, and hopefully someday, my wife and I can return. You will not be disappointed with this choice of venues!

Kind regards,
Dan and Mary Walczak
St. Paul, Minnesota U.S.A.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2007

To whom it may concern:

My 10 day stay at Plantation Resort, Port Douglas, Queensland was well above my expectations. Not only did I receive exceptional service, but I was especially impressed by the extra effort made by management and staff to attend to the special needs of a friend who accomapnied me. His needs included the provision of a wheelchair, special bathroom and toilet aids etc, all of which were pre-ordered and delivered by staff. Thesitems were provided at the actual cost to the Resort and no additional levies were applied. In addition, because of my friend's diabilities, the manager provided special transport from and to the airport and made a very comportable car availabel - at no extra cost - for our use, for the entire length of our stay at the resort.
The accommodation is of a very high standard. We each had ensuite bedrooms, a very attractive living room, dining area with adjacent kitchen and laudry and an attractive outdoor patio and lawn. We rate the whole resort, - with its attractive common areas pool, sports, We have no hesitation in highly recommending it to anyone looking for a very well managed resort ,whose staff make one feel most welcome and provide outstanding service.

Your faithfully,