“Great Location”

Mantra Aqueous On Port
Adelaide
“Great Location”
Reviewed 22 August 2009

Found our stay to be enjoyable overrall. The Aqueous has two main claims to fame. One-location, just around the corner is the main street. Two-swim out pool from the ground floor rooms. We found this to be the best feature of the hotel.
There are zero bar/dining facitlities which was not an issue for us as we were happy to explore Macrossan street each night. Anyone with children or someone looking for the in house option had best book an apartment.
There is no 24 hr reception here. You are issued with a number to key in for entry after hours. Its easy to forget the first day, as we did. One would think it would have some correlation to your room number but its an obscure totally related number specifically designed for you not to remember easily- annoying.
Only real criticisms are that the carpet and paintwork was looking a little tired for an establishment which otherwise didnt seem that old .
Additonally there is a shared entrance area off of the main corridor which is tiled and acts an amplification chamber for noise coming from the adjacent room. If you are looking for a sleep in, and not that we were, then you can rule that out.
As a general comment I'd allocated this place about a 7/10 and most likely would stay again in the future.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TonyKylie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Victoria
Reviewed 26 July 2009

This hotel was in an excellent location, close to main street, shops and beach. Parking was provided and reception staff were friendly offering useful advice on tours and letting us check in early.

The spas on the balcony were an excellent touch, especially if you’re up for a relaxing holiday and the pool was also good.

The main problem was the hotel was very dirty, from the carpet to the walls to ledges abd surfaces. Our carpet was very badly stained (see images) and the walls were covered with marks (although our friend stayed in a room which was tiled and therefore did not appear so dirty).

The rooms were quite small and it was difficult to find space to put 2 suitcases on the floor.

The rooms were also very bright in the mornings and the wooden blinds were locked in places so this could not be prevented (obviously this bothers some people more than others).

We paid $117 a night through the getaway (TV) website and I thought this was reasonable for what we got, however if I had paid any more than this I would have been disappointed.

I do not believe this qualifies as a 4.5 star hotel as it is listed 'sun lover' travel brochure, however due to location and facilities I probably would stay here again (at a discounted rate).

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicole A
ASMNQ, Management at Mantra Aqueous On Port, responded to this review, 7 February 2010
Thank you for your feedback in relation to your stay with us. It is pleasing to note you found our staff friendly and helpful and yes the spas on the balconies are fantastic.

I am disappointed to hear your feedback in relation to the cleanliness and I am regretful that I was not made aware of your room cleanliness issue during your stay, as there are processes in place to quickly remedy any issues that may arise. We make all efforts on all booking channels to clearly advise property information including room types.

Once again we do apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay and hope to welcome you back to Mantra Aqueous on Port .

Kind Regards

Melbourne
Reviewed 25 June 2009

After reading previous negative reviews, i will say that we were a bit hesitant about staying here. But we need not have worried.
Mantra Aqueous was perfect.
The location (just off Macrossan st) was ideal. It was just a few metres walk to shops/cafe's/restaurants and the beach.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. They made all activities bookings free of charge. Nothing was too much trouble. The only issue was the $200 security deposit which we were told would only be held for a few days, not our entire stay.
We had a hotel spa room at the far end of the top level, which meant there was limited noise disruption. Our room and balcony spa were both clean and tidy and although the room itself was fairly small, the bathroom and shower were very spacious.
The grounds staff were very efficient, cleaning the bbq's, pools, gardens and outdoor surrounds every morning without fail.
We did not spend a great amount of time in the hotel itself as we were always up early, out and about for most of the day.
So If you are coming on holiday to relax and enjoy the resort style atmosphere (and all the features that will see you confined to the hotel for the majority of your time away), then this is not the place for you. There are many other places in Port Douglas that offer day spas, restaurants and bars onsite that would better suit those who prefer not to venture out.
Overall it was a very enjoyable stay. We will definitely be going back!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jac3159959
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 June 2009

Before choosing Mantra Aqueous, I reviewed PD Accom a lot, particularly from this site.
Ultimately, I'm probably glad we did - having stayed in a 1 bed swim up room. I am also glad we chose this room, for 2 week stay. The Aqueuos is nicely located next to the main street, wwith a plethora of nice cafe's and restaurants, shops etc.
YES, the room is small, BUT the Bathroom and Shower are spacious! The swim up pool, spa, outdoor setting was great, for our needs anyways. Also, our Spa was spotless clean - unlike other reviews have noted.
However, I must also agree with other negative points made in those reviews.
Upon arrival, the receptionist, in fact all of them, were always lovely and helpful.
After leaving the Reception area you walk down the Galley-Like Hallways, which make you feel like you're on a ship, barely enough room for 2 people to pass, if walking in opposite directions - very annoying!!
Then we get to our room, and realise that there is a shared Entrance area for 2 rooms, ours and next doors. This is great for keeping hall noise away from your room - not so great for those early morning risers - shutting doors etc on their way out - whilst you're trying to have a lazy one!!
Anyways, we enter the room and notice 2 disappointing facts -
a. The room smells distinctly like a musty old Caravan
b. It appears as though the room has NOT been Vaccuumed.

I ask the receptionist to lease inspect and she agrees - sends a guy to vac the room immediately. This is unacceptable for this type of establishment,, and price paid.
This premises is supposedly only 4 yrs old, by the wear and tear on the carpet, stains etc, you'd swear it was at least double this - again totally unacceptable. There are also marks on the wall, both in the room and Bathroom. You can tell these rooms only get serviced once or twice weekly. Can I add at this point - I really dislike the way most properties charge for any additional room servicing in Port Douglas area/s, again unacceptable for price being paid. I am comparing to local bnb's and travel overseas.
Like others, I found the bed quite average too, especially since this was our honeymoon!
The plantation shutters are a nice touch - when they were last dusted though?, not sure!
The bathroom is quite clean, but some ugly marks on the walls etc, makes you feel icky if you know what I mean. This room needed new carpet, paint and just little things to spruce it up, oh, and a comfy bed!
I believe A LOT of the negatives about this and other premises, can largely be attributed to the fact , that these rooms are individually owned, by Investors. In turn Mantra or whoever, simply 'manage' them. You will notice this, if you peer into the windows of all the local estate agents! This is also glaringly obvious, when you see the condition of the room - it really feels as if the 'care' just isn't there.
Sadly, this arrangement is at the detriment of guest comfort and satisfaction - just refer to all the negative reviews on this property and others. I seriously struggled to choose a suitable hotel, because of this!
In the end, you take your chances I guess. Actually, I ended up here, only because I could not get in to Peppers Beach Club. I took a look in there one day, and whilst it looked really nice, pool wise, there appeared to be a lot of children etc, not suitable for a honeymoon!!
Unfortunately, my gripes with Aqueous do not end here. On quite a few occassions, we suffered the onslaught of noise(partying), from the adjoining premises. This went throughout the night - really spoiled a relaxing get away. Of course, because there is no 24 hr reception service etc, you're on your own.
Also, we had some really inconsiderate neighbours for a few days who insisted on playing loud music whilst they swam in the pool - which I didn't mind too much, as it was during the day, but it would have seriously annoyed others!!
Because of the negatives I would prefer to stay elsewhere next time, and would recommend doing your research prior to making your decision. I would definitely aim to stay somewhere, where ther was more 'care factor' next time.
To end on a positive note,Port Douglas is a great place to visit. Maggie, around the corner booked our tours and was an awesome advisor on tours and the like - also has cheap internet available. Went on Sailaway, and Wavelength, snorkelling. Also hired a pontton for fishing upstream - I would not do this again, as I got attacked by sandflies, had an allergic reaction - NOT GOOD, heed the warning, and get some strong Aeroguard !! Our favourite restaurant was BUCCI - a new establishment in Macrossan st - beautiful Italian !!
Grant St was great for Breakfast, as was SoulNPepper - some dishes actually come out in the pan - Awesome !!
Hired a car, moke and a scooter!! FUN FUN FUN !!
If you have any queries - feel free to ask...

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback.

It is pleases me you liked our location and found the swim up pool, spa, outdoor setting was great for your needs. I noted you commented “make you feel like you're on a ship”, which is exactly the concept Mantra Aqueous on Port was designed around. Great to see our team was were always lovely and helpful.

It disappoints me to note your room cleanliness did not meet your expectations on arrival however I am pleased to hear this was rectified when we were advised. Since this date of your stay we have repainted the property and every room, plus the linen and TV’s have all been replaced.

Relating to the noise you experienced from your neighbours – whilst we do not have 24 hour reception there is an after hours operator service available which is clearly stated in your welcome letter and also in the compendium in your room. Our after hours operators have vast amounts of information on hand about the resort, operations and the surrounding areas. As well as the information they have on hand for any urgent issues they will always contact me regardless of the hour so no you are not on your own.

We make all efforts on all booking channels to clearly advise property information including room types and rate inclusions i.e. your accommodation rate clearly states “room only” and does not include daily servicing and there is no intent to deceive or hide what is included in the cost of accommodation.

Thank you for your feedback and we do hope to welcome you back to Mantra Aqueous on Port.

Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 10 May 2009

In a nutshell-

- Reception rude. Required to put $200 as deposit - despite already pre-paying room! Receptionist joked it was if we had party - not really funny and completely unexpected.
- Hallways tired and date.
- Room very small. Also poorly cleaned, bed was damp and bathroom mouldy.
- Terrible terrible bed - seemed to be on wheels? Anytime we moved the bed banged against the wall. Not a peaceful nights sleep
- Decided against using spa bath on balcony for filthy state it was in

Pick somewhere else - there are some 1-2 bedroom apartments that are much nicer for about the same price!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you for providing your valuable feedback. I am disappointed to hear that the service you received did not meet your expectations as we receive many great comments on service and the friendliness of our staff.

If we had been made aware during your stay regarding the cleanliness we would have been able to remedy this.

As mentioned “Required to put $200 as deposit “, this is standard practice in the industry and is used like a bond to ensure any incidentals can be paid for. It is company policy that if the guest does not have a credit card we can pre authorize then they must leave a $200 cash deposit.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback and we do hope to welcome you back to Mantra Aqueous on Port.

redlynch
Reviewed 4 May 2009

Toilet wouldnt stop running
Air conditioner was filthy
Spa bath was full dirt and dead insects stuck in the jets
Bed was unexceptable very uncomfortable
for a 4 star property get a grip... For any future cutomers beware!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nathanRedlynch
We thank you for bringing the maintenance issues you experienced , unfortunately these maintenance issues do arise from time to time and measures are in place to ensure such issues are rectified promptly if we had been aware of this during your stay.

We are regretful that these issues were not brought to our attention during your stay but, but wish to advise that corrective action has since been taken.

We do hope to welcome you back to Mantra Aqueous on Port.

Melbourne
Reviewed 30 April 2009

We initially had checked in for a 5-night stay down the road at the Mantra Portsea but were so shocked by the standard of the room (apartment?) that we had our booking transferred by our travel company to the Aqueous which required an upgrade in price :-). Still, it WAS worth it! There is no comparison!
We were provided with an apartment room that had a small kitchen with microwave, 1/2 dishwasher, refrigerator and 2 x element hotplate. It also included an in-cupboard laundry.
The room also included an outdoor verandah spa with a table and chairs setting.
Overall the apartment was quite spacious and very comfortable. We were on the top floor. There is a centrally located elevator so getting to the upper levels is no problem.
I wouldn't spend the money on a swim-up room unless you MUST have it - reason why is anyone who is in the pool outside your room, can't really help seeing straight into your room.
There are long pools running alongside both sides of the apartment complex and as a few reviewers have said, there are very few people in the pool at any one time. Depth of the pools are betweem 1.1m and 2.1m deep, so this is no little kids pool arrangement - it's perfect for lazy adults.
The location is GREAT - 5 mins to the beach and just around the corner from the main 'drag' of Macrossan St with tons of shops and cafes.
We weren't too sure as to what the arrangements were for servicing the rooms (I think every 3 days?) however if you have an expectation of a fully serviced hotel room then this may not be for you. Please note also that there is no restaurant onsite.
Overall, a great place to stay. The front desk staff were very polite and helpful.
My advice (from the reading some of the other reviews) would be to make sure you know what TYPE of room you're getting as it sounds like the size of the rooms, as unlike the apartments, may be on the small side.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple