I had a wonderful stay. Anne, the onsite manager, and her husband made the stay fantastic. The rooms are very well-furnished, clean, and modern. The room in which I stayed, room 8, was very nice. It was essentially a 1-bedroom apartment. It feels like it was renovated very recently and in a very nice way. It was nice to feel like I was staying in a room that was brand new.
The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was medium-size and was very clean. The living room area was great, with a couch and a couple of chairs and a large flat-screen TV. The TV has two movie channels included. This was the only place in Australia that included movie channels, so I was impressed. The kitchen was very nice, with all of the basic stuff that you would need, and a few extra nice touches thrown in. It even includes a small dishwasher.
The Internet service was free and was the best of anyplace at which I stayed in Australia. The rooms all include Internet service via an Ethernet cable (wired). Additionally, a few of the rooms are close enough to the lobby to receive wireless Internet (which is provided in the lobby area). When I told Anne that it was important to me to have a good Internet connection, she changed my room to one that she thought would have a good chance of being in range of the wireless router.
The room also included a patio that had a table and chairs on it, which was a very nice place to eat dinner or have a drink. Our room overlooked the pool and barbecue area, which was nice.
Anne is extraordinarily knowledgeable about the entire area, and her recommendations really made our trip. She recommended great restaurants. She recommended a very good boat tour on the Daintree River. When I told her that we only had time for a brief day of snorkeling one day, she recommended Reef Sprinter, which turned out to be awesome. It is a relatively small fast boat that gets you from Port Douglas to the Low Isles in just 15 minutes (instead of 1 hour or more on other boats). Then you snorkel for 1.5 to 2 hours, and then you return. I saw some amazing coral and fish. Reef Sprinter stops 100 meters or so from the Low Isles, in an area with great snorkeling. (They also have a glass bottom boat anchored there, for those who do not want to snorkel.) While we were out there, we also saw the Shaolin Chinese junk, which gives tours, and it looked much slower but very cool!
This hotel is a bit of a walk (0.5 to 1 km?) to the main street of shops in Port Douglas, which is Macrossan Street. The hotel includes free parking, so I must admit that we chose to drive to the town instead of walk.
I stayed in Palm Cove the week before coming to Port Douglas, and I much preferred staying in Port Douglas.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Freestyle Resort Apartments are favourites in the Port Douglas market. The Apartments were fully refurbished in 2014 setting benchmark standards for boutique accommodation in the Region. We experience high repeat visitation with many guests returning on an annual basis. Located beachside of Port Douglas with parkland opposite and to the North our location is second to none. Our award winning heated swimming pool and spa is a favourite spot for a quiet read, or just taking in the sun in a lovely tropical garden setting. The little extras like great personalised service from your resident managers Anne & Jason, complimentary pool towels, mid-week room services and free wi-fi broadband internet in all apartments and around the Pool precinct sets the scene. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Freestyle Resort Port Douglas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Freestyle Resort Port Douglas Hotel Port Douglas
- Freestyle Hotel Port Douglas
- Port Douglas Freestyle Hotel