We stayed here for 5 nights as part of our months honeymoon in Australia. On arrival given a bottle of bubble which was nice. Staff at reception friendly and helpful. There was only 2 of us but we were staying in a 2 bedroom villa by the main pool. The view over the pool and bar area was nice especially at night.
The villa had a living area, fully fitted kitchen, utility room complete with washing machine and dryer, downstairs toilet and shower, upstairs bathroom, storage area, master bedroom with balcony and second bedroom with balcony. Both bedrooms and the downstairs area all had air con which was great as well as ceiling fans.
Bed was comfy and linen and towels were nice. Villas don't have maid service albeit on the 3rd someone did come and replace our towels and give it a quick clean which was nice.
Travelling for a month the use of a washing machine and dryer was great and it was almost like living back at home for 5 days and was nice and relaxing. The bedrooms were good, plenty of storage space and offered a safe but at a cost of $4.50 per day which use expensive and not really needed. The living area was also nice but the sofa was a bit hard and had mucky marks on it. The rooms on a whole were good but could have done with a lick of paint and a good spring clean. They weren't dirty but any means but had just in the corners and the cushions were a bit mucky but not bad.
Ate at the restaurant which was good value and good food. Although the menu didn't change they did do bar snacks if you fancied a day around the pool, which again, weren't badly priced and happy hour between 4-6 where beers wee $5 and cocktails $10. We had breakfast which like the dinner menu didn't change but cons titled of hot and cold with hot and cold drinks. It was a good start to the day and started at 7 which was good as some of the tours for snorkelling at the reef or the Karunda departed at 07:45-08:15 ish most days so there was time for breakfast before leaving for the day.
It has 3 pools and a gym. The gardens and grounds were nice and being maintained by a few gardens which I saw nearly everyday. Staff I encounter were nice and helpful when I needed them so no complaints in that department.
To call it a resort is pushing it really, it offers the same amenities as a regular hotel.
Location isn't central and is 3.5 km from the town centre. It is however, across the road and only 5 min walk to 4 mile beach. We walked across one day and then the full length to the town centre and got the shuttle bus back.
Other negative is that the shuttle is $5 per person one way so a return trip to town for a couple is $20, if you do that once or twice a day it soon adds up. The hotel should really offer a free shuttle into town as I am aware other hotels at the bottom end of the area do offer this service. The shuttle is regular about every 15-20 mins.
Overall a good value resorts. We don't have kids but there were many families and many kids all looked like they were having a good time and it did cater for them which we really didn't mind, added to a bit of atmosphere. I would recommend staying here, good rooms/villas and restaurant. Only negative is the location and the distance to either walk which isn't ideal in the heat or pay for the shuttle to go into town.
Port Douglas is more ideal than Cairns as most trips depart from Port Douglas harbour for the reef or are near Port Douglas and people I spoke to in trips who were staying in Cairns regretted it saying the long drive to attractions which were nearer Port Douglas. Port Douglas it's self is alo very nice
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Reef Resort Port Douglas by Rydges offers two storey 1, 2 and 3 bedroom villas each with a kitchen, laundry, separate lounge and dining areas, TV/DVD player and balcony or patio in over 110 square metres of living. Set on 15 acres of lush tropical gardens offering plenty of room to spread out and enjoy the facilities which include 2 large lagoon-style pools, 1 leisure pool, a children's pool, children's playground, gymnasium, 25m lap pool, tennis courts and a family BBQ area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Southall Travel, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Reef Resort Port Douglas by Rydges reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rendezvous Reef Resort Port Douglas Hotel Port Douglas
- Rendezvous Reef Port Douglas
- Rendezvous Reef Hotel Port Douglas