“resort atmosphere”

Reef Resort Port Douglas by Rydges
Ranked #31 of 42 Hotels in Port Douglas
Reviewed 31 December 2009

i was worried about this place after reading reviews, but im so glad i stayed here. the kids didnt want to leave, they would wake up early and jump straight into the lagoon pool which was right near our 2 bedroom standard unit ( which has the same kitchen and bathrooms as the deluxe, only the lounge furniture differs), actually the furniture in the standard was more comfy than in the deluxe. i recommend you ask for a room near the main lagoon pool and restaurant ( our room was no. 65, which i found ideal). kids eat free, they also provide continental breakfast for 2 kids and adults for $15. the swish restaurant was good food at good price. the kids loved it, they met other children in the pool area which kept them busy. i recommend this resort to families with children.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 December 2009

Booked online thinking we were staying in their newly renovated villa and requested a pool view only to find on arrival that no pool view and we were in one of their older villa. We were smart though, we asked to view the villa before we signed their paperwork. Because we objected to the villa they were very obliging and upgraded us to one of their revated villas looking over the pool. Much happier. Accommodation very good only the lounge furniture was very uncomfortable. The pickett fencing around the pool and near our villa was beyond repair and needed to be replaced. Getting into the pool I found extremely difficult as you needed to step down about a foot to the landing which was a problem for my knees. Gardens in much need of tender loving care. They gym....well all I can say is take a towel to sit on as the equipment had tears in the vinyl and the foam was missing. Long way to walk to the township but if you go via the beach its not so bad and quite pleasant. Would have been a lovely resort in its day.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2009

Just back from spending 6 days in a refurbished 2 bedrooom villa. We had a villa right across from the main pool, it was fantastic, every morning woke up to the water falling over rocks, this was heaven, after having the continental breakfast, we would plan our day, there is so much to do up here, I will be coming back for certain. One thing most people would not know about the resort is that all the units are individually owned and Rendevous only manage a certain amount of them, that explains why each unit is different in its furnishings. I had a look around two different 3 bedroom units one being a standard level and one being the deluxe, difference in price $54.00 per night ($214.00 - $268.00). The standard had exactly the same furnishings as our deluxe 2 bedroom, the deluxe 3 bedroom had thicker carpet, a coffee percolator and a few other things, but this unit was a long way away from the main resort area, and the grounds were very untidy, for the difference in price it was not worth it (only my opinion)
A few things I was not happy about there are no screens on any of the windows or doors, so opening them was not an option, in this hot environment there are a lot of bugs, ie wasps, mosquitoes just to name a few.
Also, in the compendium, it states all the prices, $2.50 for a box of tissues was a bit rough, we ran out of toilet paper and I was waiting for a bill to buy some more (this didn't eventuate, thankfully)
The pros far outweighed the cons though.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2009

The people here were very nice and very helpful. I spent 5 nights here - booked my stay through Wotif.com - would recommend that as the rates were about A$25/night less than the resort's best rate. The room was spacious - I stayed in a 1BR deluxe unit. Laundry service was nice to have in the unit. Furniture was not the best - looked great and modern, but not very comfortable. Seemed they've renovated recently, but didn't use high quality material. It looks good on the surface, but is not the most well made. The place was not full when I went, but there was still some noise from other units. If you're traveling during high season, expect to hear people in other units. The staff helped me book all of my day trips - to the Reef, to the Rainforest, etc. They were very easy to work with. I bought a 5 day shuttle pass to get me back and forth to Port Douglas. That was good, but definitely not ideal. I spent more time than I'd like waiting for the right shuttle service to show up (both at the hotel and in town). But, I didn't have a car, so it was the best option. I'd stay here again, but as a solo traveler, I should have probably stayed closer to town.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Be wary of the reviews of this resort from prior to their upgrade. We stayed in a 2br Deluxe apartment in September 09 and we could not have been happier.

The apartment was very clean and spacious. Plenty of gear with the kitchen for cooking etc. though they could have done with supplying some washing up cloths just in case you didn't want to use the dish washer. It's not located right in Port Douglas just off the main road in to the town centre. Nice and quiet. Had two great pools in the complex.

The first night we discovered the base of my daughter's bed was broken, reported it to reception next morning and it was fixed when we got back from our reef trip that afternoon. Great customer service.

If you're looking for a great family location to base yourself, this is it.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Iain C
Reviewed 11 October 2009

In short - a very comfortable resort, perfect for a family holiday. I would definitely go back.

In detail - my family (wife, 7 and 8 year old boys) spent 8 nights at this resort during the September school holidays.

I'd read so many bad things about the resort that I actually considered cancelling. It was only the cost of moving to somewhere else that made me keep my reservation - I'm glad I did.

My first impressions weren't great - I was met by a very reserved, and not particularly welcoming lady at reception. Then we parked in front of our apartment and I almost tripped over the lifted pavers and took note of what I thought was mould on the window (it turned out to be paint). I thought my fears were going to come true. I was wrong.

The apartment was recently renovated and very comfortable (ok, except for those chairs in the lounge room!). The small but well equipped kitchen and the washing machine and dryer were much appreciated. As were the comfortable bedrooms, and the two bathrooms.

The pools were great, we tried them all - including the lap pool. The gym was well fitted out, even if some of the weight machines were looking a bit worn. There were relatively new treadmills and rowing machines in place and they worked fine.

The place was quiet at night, but a bit dark. After reading about how dark it was in another post I took a torch with me. I'm glad I did. Even going across to the barbecue would have been a pain without it.

The restaurant was great. We only ate there one night as there are so many places to eat in Port Douglas, but the food was top notch and our waitress was very friendly.

A couple of things to be aware of:
- There are a lot of stairs in the apartment to get up to the second level. Dragging a big suitcase up those stairs is a pain.

- There are a limited number of lounges by the pool. You need to get in early if you want one.

-There is only one barbecue for the entire resort and it is quite small. You need to be prepared to wait to use it or get in early.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 October 2009

we stayed at rendezvous for for nights and thought it was fantastic value for money. True it was a bit of a walk into town, but with a shuttle bus running every 15 mins was not a problem at all. Yes the the lounges were not the most comfy but i dont think anything to get your knickers in a knot over!! we found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful with any questions. We will definently be coming back to stay here.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends